Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Started by Anteros Vox, December 14, 2012, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

"I am Adam Lanza's mother" - a superb blog post about psychiatric care and coping with a mentally unbalanced child.

Edit: Hunted down the original post and changed the link. The blog is called the Anarchist Soccer Mom.

Ryven

Quote from: Trieste on December 16, 2012, 11:59:17 AM
"I am Adam Lanza's mother" - a superb blog post about psychiatric care and coping with a mentally unbalanced child.

You beat me to that, Trie.  I was about to post it. XD

Trieste

I found it very striking; I've read it three times now, letting it sink in.

Ryven

I agree.  I think it illustrates well what the loved ones of the mentally ill have to deal with on a routine basis, and it shows that mental illness does not just include the lower functioning, those suffering from depression, or bipolar disorders which get the most exposure.  I can't imagine having to hospitalize a loved one for fear they might harm you or themselves.  The worst part is that on some level, he can't help his reactions, in the case of the article.

fireandblood

That is a fantastic article. My little brother has a personality disorder... The way she wrote that post describes exactly what it's like to live with or be around someone who is mentally unstable. I love my brother to death and I would gladly die for him, and I stick up for him any time anyone says something negative about him even though he scares me. Do I blame him for his actions? No. Do I think he should be put in jail? Definitely not. If he went and did something horrible like this, would I still love him? Of course.

If he went into a school and killed twenty first graders, would I call his actions evil? Yes. I would.

Ariel

I don't know if I could love my brother after he did something truly terrible like his. I just don't see how a mental disorder, no matter how severe, can make someone pick up a gun and aim it on a child. I don't see what can compel someone to commit an atrocity this drastic.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Branwen on December 16, 2012, 07:20:02 AM
That's okay.  I'm a teacher too, and we're people.  People get to cry.  People need to cry.

You're dealing with it, and you're going to deal with it for every kid you teach and who comes to you as a mentor.  You have to be strong Monday morning for them.  It's going to be a very tough day for you, for all of us who teach, but we're going to do it.  Our kids expect us to.

So we have to lose it now and just like everything else tuck it away while we're in the classroom.  That bell rings, we're contact point number one for help.  The bell rings again, kids are gone, we go find someone to be our help, our strength, or just sit alone in our dark, quiet rooms and let it go.

And there's no shame in that.  There's no shame in any emotion you feel right now or Monday or random times in the coming months or years.

The only thing I will not allow in my classes Monday is the mention of the murderer's name or discussion of him.  He is a nonentity, someone whom I will work to erase from my mind and from history.  I don't care if it's wrong or petty, he does not deserve a legacy other than forgetting.  I will work to remember one teacher, one child from it for the rest of my life.  I know I can't hold them all, but I can get two.

Thank you, Branwen. I've read this five or six times since it went up. It helps. I'm taking this harder than I have any other horrible story in years. I haven't been this affected by tragedy since goddamned September 11th. It's...

Yeah. It's. 

Ryven

Quote from: Uprising on December 16, 2012, 05:08:04 PM
I don't know if I could love my brother after he did something truly terrible like his. I just don't see how a mental disorder, no matter how severe, can make someone pick up a gun and aim it on a child. I don't see what can compel someone to commit an atrocity this drastic.

The thing about mental disorders is that many of them compromise judgment and rational thought.  How could he point a gun at a child and shoot?  He was disturbed and mentally unstable.  It's the same reason why animal abuse, domestic violence, and self harm can occur.  The only reason that makes a child victim worse in many people's eyes is that they are defenseless and in many ways innocent because they have little experience of the world and are just beginning to try to make sense of things.  To me, it would be a tragedy if he shot 20 children, 20 adults, or 20 elderly people, but that is simply my way of seeing things.

Oniya

Quote from: Pointless Digression on December 16, 2012, 05:14:22 PM
Thank you, Branwen. I've read this five or six times since it went up. It helps. I'm taking this harder than I have any other horrible story in years. I haven't been this affected by tragedy since goddamned September 11th. It's...

Yeah. It's.

*hugs all her teacher friends*

*then hugs all her parent friends*

*then hugs everyone else*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aiden

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57559468-93/hackers-target-westboro-baptist-church-after-newtown-threat/

Link to an article, I have been staying clear of the news this weekend because the media are a bunch of scumbags and I am not ignoring what happened...I don't want to be reminded every 5 minutes how many children were killed, or see the interviews of children (and adults/families etc) who will be forever scarred by this tragedy.

Then you hear that Westboro plans on protesting...then Anymous kicks in...(You guys can decide how you feel about it all)

Ariel

Quote from: Aiden on December 16, 2012, 10:44:12 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57559468-93/hackers-target-westboro-baptist-church-after-newtown-threat/

Link to an article, I have been staying clear of the news this weekend because the media are a bunch of scumbags and I am not ignoring what happened...I don't want to be reminded every 5 minutes how many children were killed, or see the interviews of children (and adults/families etc) who will be forever scarred by this tragedy.

Then you hear that Westboro plans on protesting...then Anymous kicks in...(You guys can decide how you feel about it all)

I can't even.. That pisses me off so much. That happened in my town at a guy's funeral, he had died while serving the country. These people dare to protest... at a fucking funeral, nontheless...

Excuse me, I need to go puke.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

NataliaReno

You know what... I normally wouldn't agree to something Anonymous has done but..... GOOD. If they have done such a thing. And hopefully that petition does get signed and put into effect. For protesting a child's funeral? For what? *smh* Anyway, new evidence has been found that the mother of Adam Lanze was a gun afficionado (sp) and brought her sons out to shoot I think the article said within the last 4 years. So the mother is at fault as well. She also knew about his problems and it seems he never got help. She was even going to follow him to whatever school he attended if he indeed was going to go somewhere.

I live here in CT, about an hour away and today (12/16) some dumbass kid made a threat to go to one of the schools and do the same thing. And this is in my own town. I dont know if it was a prank or not but it was stupid. Whoever it was has been aprehended or something but I dont know if it was for attention because the president was going to be here or what.

My heart goes to all involved. Something that never should have happened. Christmas is never going to be the same to me knowing these children's lives were taken away much too early and especially at this time of the year. I cant even listen or sing Silent Night anymore without starting to get upset.

Pointless Digression

I want to read something in The Onion about a mass shooting during a Westboro Baptist protest—a shooting whose only victims are adult members of Westboro Baptist church: "President pauses to collect himself after dissolving into giggles at podium in White House Briefing Room, orders nation's flagpoles extended so that flags may be raised to one-and-half-staff..."

Branwen

Pointless Digression and every other one of you reading this who works with kids today,

Stay strong.  Stay strong for them and support them and love them.  They need us right now, even the cynical teenagers.  All weekend long they've likely been bombarded by media in one form or another, the social network sites they are on are bursting at the seams and some of them are scared and angry and worried and anything else you can name.  You are one of the safe, calm, trusted adults in their life who has their best welfare in mind and they know it.  They need you today.  Make it for them.

Then when that bell rings and you send them off, make it for you.  It's okay to let go when they're gone.  Use the catharsis of tears or anger or numbness to help you cope so you can be there again tomorrow for them.  I know that as soon as they are gone and I check on my fellow teachers, I plan to shut my door and put my head down and just let it all go.

Don't live in fear.  Be smart, be safe, but don't let this run your life or your classroom. 

Love the students, lead the students, teach them by example today as much by your lesson plan.

Hug them if allowed, and hug your fellow teachers and administration and staff.

Branwen

I want to make this available to those of you who will be around children and who might need resources today.  Read, consider, implement with caution and concern.  Most of these are .pdf files so consider that when clicking.

These are all from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network http://www.nctsn.org/

What and Who the NCTSN Is/Are

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Established by Congress in 2000, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) brings a singular and comprehensive focus to childhood trauma. NCTSN’s collaboration of frontline providers, researchers, and families is committed to raising the standard of care while increasing access to services. Combining knowledge of child development, expertise in the full range of child traumatic experiences, and dedication to evidence-based practices, the NCTSN changes the course of children’s lives by changing the course of their care.

The Network is funded by the Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services through a congressional initiative: the Donald J. Cohen National Child Traumatic Stress Initiative. As of November 2009 the Network comprises 60 members. Affiliate members—sites that were formerly funded—and individuals currently or previously associated with those sites continue to be active in the Network as affiliates.

Trauma Facts for Educators 
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/CTTE_Educators.pdf&nid=84

Understanding Child Traumatic Stress: a Parent's Guide
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/ctte_parents.pdf&nid=84

Psychological and Behavioral Impact of Trauma by Student Grade Level:

Preschool
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/preschool_children.pdf&nid=84

Elementary
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/ctte_elementary.pdf&nid=84

Middle School
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/ctte_middleschool.pdf&nid=84

High School
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/ctte_highschool.pdf&nid=84

Suggestions for Educators
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/CTTE_Educators.pdf&nid=84

Self Care for Educators  (Don't forget about yourself)
  http://www.nctsn.org/sites/all/modules/pubdlcnt/pubdlcnt.php?file=/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/CTTE_SelfCare.pdf&nid=84

Ryven

Quote from: NataliaReno on December 16, 2012, 11:16:31 PM
You know what... I normally wouldn't agree to something Anonymous has done but..... GOOD. If they have done such a thing. And hopefully that petition does get signed and put into effect. For protesting a child's funeral? For what? *smh* Anyway, new evidence has been found that the mother of Adam Lanze was a gun afficionado (sp) and brought her sons out to shoot I think the article said within the last 4 years. So the mother is at fault as well. She also knew about his problems and it seems he never got help. She was even going to follow him to whatever school he attended if he indeed was going to go somewhere.

I live here in CT, about an hour away and today (12/16) some dumbass kid made a threat to go to one of the schools and do the same thing. And this is in my own town. I dont know if it was a prank or not but it was stupid. Whoever it was has been aprehended or something but I dont know if it was for attention because the president was going to be here or what.

My heart goes to all involved. Something that never should have happened. Christmas is never going to be the same to me knowing these children's lives were taken away much too early and especially at this time of the year. I cant even listen or sing Silent Night anymore without starting to get upset.

The mother is at fault for not getting him help with his problems, not for taking him shooting and teaching him how to use a gun.  That's like thinking someone who teaches another how to drive is at fault for their driving student running over and killing people should they choose to do so.  I know several gun owners who have yet to kill anyone and are well versed in how to use their weapons.

Moraline

Support this government petition: 
Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.

This group has been recognized as a hate group by organizations, such as The Southern Poverty Law Center, and has repeatedly displayed the actions typical of hate groups.

Their actions have been directed at many groups, including homosexuals, military, Jewish people and even other Christians. They pose a threat to the welfare and treatment of others and will not improve without some form of imposed regulation.

Sign Herehttp://wh.gov/RI5h   ((Source: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov ))

Here is one of the many reasons why:

Quote"Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment."
Via Twitter and reposted on NewsArticle: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57559468-93/hackers-target-westboro-baptist-church-after-newtown-threat/

Callie Del Noire

Actually I'm more of the opinion they are a scam artist group as they SUE many of the folks whose funerals they picket. That is.. the family tries to restrain them..they sue them. They have done it several times. Reading through Nate Phelp's blog has been educational too. He's the 'black sheep' of the family who has accused his father of abusing him and his mother on numerous occasions.

They are looking for BIG visiblity media events that will bring them into conflict with others. Also notice that MANY of the Phelps are lawyers, including the daughters who do most of the speaking now.

Oniya

Hit 'em where it hurts.  In their wallets.  This group is no more a church than my Aunt Glorianna's bridge club (although the bridge club is infinitely nicer).  Get the IRS on them, and get rid of their 'religious exemption'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on December 17, 2012, 11:42:15 AM
Hit 'em where it hurts.  In their wallets.  This group is no more a church than my Aunt Glorianna's bridge club (although the bridge club is infinitely nicer).  Get the IRS on them, and get rid of their 'religious exemption'.

Agreed but they've walked a very close line to avoid any appearance of using church funds for things other than their 'crusade' and paying the church officers (Mostly Phelps or associated families) so they get to keep it for now. I know that a LOT of the civil liberties folks who supported their cases would LOVE to be able to wash their hands of them if they could.

Oniya

Their 'crusade'.  Is that all that makes them a church?  Calling it a 'crusade'?  They do no charitable works, they are completely exclusive, and their so-called 'crusade' is nothing but spewing hate and invective.

Trieste

If that's enough to get tax exempt status, I am going to officially form a crusade to drink my way through Europe. That counts as a writeoff, right? I'm taking members...

Oniya

I like Trieste's crusade better.  Are we talking beers, wines, or liqueurs?

Trieste

Well, the Prophet did declare "beer before liquor, never sicker" and clearly that, uh, applies to liqueurs, so liqueurs for breakfast, beer for dinner and wine whenever the hell we feel like it.

Yep.

Pointless Digression