News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Nested Klein Bottles

Started by Bliss, September 02, 2008, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

I didn't sleep much last night, so maybe my brain isn't processing this as well as it should. How did they make one, if it can't be properly constructed in three dimensions?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

I'm not entirely sure; they seem to work on the same principle as a moebius strip.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Mk. I did a quick bit of research on it, and it makes a lot more sense now. Three of them together! That's incredible.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Revolverman

i've never understood whats so special about them, it looks like a wine bottle that comes with a handle.

Bliss

If you can imagine putting your finger on any one point on the outside, and tracing it all the way up over the curve of the handle and following it down in... and then continuing one, your finger will trace upward inside the bottle, then inside the handle downward to come out the opening in the bottom, and back up to the spot where you first touched the bottle.

Like a Moebius Strip, the Klein Bottle is a shape that only has one side, even though it has an inside and an outside - it's all one surface.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Revolverman

I can see why I failed advance math, im totally confused.

Oniya

Quote from: Paradox on September 03, 2008, 10:18:30 AM
I didn't sleep much last night, so maybe my brain isn't processing this as well as it should. How did they make one, if it can't be properly constructed in three dimensions?

To 'properly' construct a Klein bottle, the 'handle' part of it would not actually intersect the side of the bottle.  It would have to go 'up' into a fourth spacial dimension then 'down' into the interior of the bottle.  The way these are constructed, there's an edge where the bottle perforates itself.

As for how to make one:

A mathematician named Klein
Though the Moebius strip was divine.
Said he, "If you glue
The edges of two,
You get a weird bottle like mine!"
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17