News:

Main Menu

Tea.

Started by Florence, September 13, 2013, 03:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

So much tea talk :D I love this site. xD

About to go make a cuppa myself, after a hard day working :U
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Caeli

I love buying my leaves from Lupicia, in-store. They have all of their blends available to taste and smell, so it's a good way to test them out before purchasing.

TenRen has the best Chinese teas. :-) One of my friends always has some stocked up at her place, and she'll brew us a pot when we're over hanging out.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Chris Brady

Honest question here, but what is Chai?  As in what's in it.

Because the word means 'Tea'.  So a 'Chai Tea' is effectively 'Tea Tea'.  I want to know what kind of flavour it tends to have.

As for what I drink, I prefer White (low acid) teas over Orange or Black.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Chai masala (I know 'masala' means 'blend' or 'mix') is an assortment of spices to be added to regular tea.  Cinnamon, ginger, cardamon... I think there's some anise in there...  It's usually brewed with hot milk instead of water, and is usually also sweetened, although the bagged stuff from the store stands up pretty well to simple hot water.  The taste is kind of 'baked goods' spicy, like spice cake or gingerbread, but not exactly. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

That sounds divine...  Chai Masala, you say?  Will have to look that up!

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

If you have any Indian groceries near you, you'll get the most authentic masala, which would be just the spices to add to your preferred tea.  Otherwise, many of the major tea companies (Bigelow, Twinings, Stash, Celestial Seasonings, etc.) have a 'Chai Tea' which includes the spices in with the tea bag.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Chris Brady

Thanks, good to know!

Florence

Now I wanna get some loose tea and spices to try making my own, but I'm fairly certain I'd mess it up D:

Still need to find time to make my bubble tea :<
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Suiko

I can't believe I didn't know this thread existed before now.

I can't function without a cup of green tea in the morning. I love tea!

Another couple of favourites are Lady Grey and Oolang, but I also enjoy Chinese Gunpowder tea - guess what's in it.  :-)
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

Florence

Blythe

Chinese Gunpowder tea? I don't think I've actually heard of it; what's it like?

Suiko

Quote from: Blythe on September 24, 2013, 03:01:39 PM
Chinese Gunpowder tea? I don't think I've actually heard of it; what's it like?
Very good. A bit bitter but refreshing.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Blythe

I grow tempted by this tea....where would one purchase it? Is there somewhere online that sells it? *perks up with interest*

Suiko

I'm afraid I only had it in a teahouse near where I live... I'm sure somewhere online will sell it though. *nods*
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Khoraz on September 24, 2013, 05:40:06 AM
I can't believe I didn't know this thread existed before now.

I can't function without a cup of green tea in the morning. I love tea!

Another couple of favourites are Lady Grey and Oolang, but I also enjoy Chinese Gunpowder tea - guess what's in it.  :-)

Any idea where to get Lady Grey reliably?  I can only get a small box about once a year or so at my grocery store.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Florence

Quote from: Daylily on September 24, 2013, 06:20:48 PM
Any idea where to get Lady Grey reliably?  I can only get a small box about once a year or so at my grocery store.

Twinings sells it in the local supermarket near me, if nothing else you might be able to find their variety packs which have Lady Grey in it, of course, you'll also be paying for Earl Grey, English Breakfast Tea and Irish Breakfast Tea, so if you hate those it might not be worth the money.

http://www.twiningsusashop.com/lady-grey.html

Or you can try ordering some off their website. (that's for the US site, I'm not sure if its any different for other regions)

Lady Grey is personally one of my favorites, so anything I can do to help a fellow drinker :3

Suiko

Twinings is very good ^^

More love for Lady Grey!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Chris Brady

Off topic

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on September 24, 2013, 11:30:46 AM
.... I can't... breathe... oh my god...
The site is called Kawaiinot.  And it's hilarious.

On topic:  I will second (Third, whatever) the fact that Rooibos is delicious.

Florence

Hey E tea-drinkers! I have a question. I used to have a really nifty electric kettle that let me select different temperatures for different types of tea, but... I accidentally got some water into the electronics and... the thing fried. I've been having trouble finding a replacement that I can actually afford, does anyone have any good suggestions. Simple kettles that I can just turn on and off are good and all, but I love green and white tea, and while I've gotten used to watching the bubbles on an open pot for green and white tea, I'm not sure if I'd have any luck making them with an electric kettle like that.

So, tl;dr, anyone know of a relatively cheap electric kettle that lets you select other temperatures for different types of tea?

Oniya

When I went searching for electric tea kettle, I found this article from Good Housekeeping that compares several models.

ladyelizabeth

i adore tea!   I am a southern girl so black sweet tea is my fav!!!
The Oath of Drake *~*  On/Off's  *~*  A/A's

Ravensahnk

I love all sorts of tea.  Iced Tea, I would have to say simple sweet tea or Arizona green tea is great!

As for hot teas, it really depends.

I like the simple black teas, I most often drink organic green tea daily with some honey, it's normally when I'm on lunch with a good book too!  :)  It totally is for us Artsy  Fartsy Writery people lol