Interest check - 1930s Scion (Pulp)

Started by HairyHeretic, July 31, 2015, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

"And has his holiness managed to produce anything of worth for us?" The tone was biting, the harsh Prussian accent easily recognisable as an aristocratic one, if one knew how to listen.

"The Fuhrer believes he is useful. Until that changes, we carry on as we have been. If nothing else, his hatred of the Bolsheviks makes him a willing tool. But to answer your question, yes, he has. Watch."

The lights in the room dimmed, then an explosion of light filled the air, streaming upwards and outwards from the centre of the table, forming a world that looked much like out own, but with one significant difference. A massive island, or perhaps a small continent, sitting in the Indian Ocean.

"Mein Gott!"

"Has he found it? Has that lunatic of a Russian actually found the location of Atlantis?"

"No." The tone held profound disappointment. "It may have been there millennia ago, but it's not there now."

Fireflies of light began to appear on the map, dotting around Africa, South East Asia and further afield.

"But while it may be gone, perhaps its outposts, its colonies, remain, lost to time and waiting for us to find them. The Fuhrer has decreed that we will seek these lost places out. We will find them, recover what we can from them, and perhaps they will lead us to Atlantis itself. If nothing else, their technology was supposed to be far in advance of anything seen before, or after. And it will be ours!"

"Signal the Werewolves. We have a go."

The year is 1936. Assisted by the legendary Mad Monk Rasputin, the Thule Society and Ahnenerbe Institute are searching the globe for secrets of lost Atlantis, determined to find it, unlock it's secrets and usher in the Third Reich's thousand year reign.

Opposing them are scattered individuals, drawn together by Fate and secret origins unknown to the rest of the world ...

Scion meets the Pulp Era. The Scions are dashing adventurers, femme fatales, plucky reporters, cocky smugglers, masked avengers and with the aid of intrepid sidekicks, mad science and a talent for trouble, they'll be taking on the nastiest that Nazi occult-science can produce, lost cities, ancient curses, legendary monsters, and perhaps the lost technology of ancient Atlantis itself.

So, anyone interested?

OOC thread

Prologue thread

Game thread
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Joel

YAAASS!!!! me me memememememe
also what the hell how can you NOT be interested when you mix:

indiana jones + more nazis + fuckingwerewolves + pulp supernatural !!!

HairyHeretic

It's a universal rule, everyone likes punching Nazi's :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

Seriously, I demand details now!
givemegivemegiveme (at your earliest convenience)

seems to me the game might be organized around different factions?  or perhaps different agendas.

HairyHeretic

Well, that depends on the players and their characters. Scion gives a lot of freedom in terms of backgrounds, and moving it from a modern day setting to a pulp one isn't too big a stretch of the imagination.

Fate will ensure that they're drawn together where they need to be to get things started, probably somewhere in South East Asia.

I had an idea for a son of Mannanan MacLir, an *ahem* acquirer of hard to find artifacts, a smuggler, and one who was shot and left for dead after being double crossed by the Nazi's and rather than being drowned in the ocean he received his divine visitation and found out he was the son of a God. His old life ruined, he adopted a masked avenger persona to strike back at the Nazi's.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

*plants interest flag* Though il need ot have a good long thought on how to make a character for this.

HairyHeretic

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

*reads up on scion and already has several ideas....*

i guess, what would be helpful now is if we know more about the Nazi group looking for vestiges of Atlantis.  What sort of actions have they made, what sort of effects are there from these actions. 

HairyHeretic

Both the Thule Society and Ahnenerbe Institute are historical, though most people wouldn't know much about them. The players themselves, unless they have first hand knowledge (sorcerer or spy type backgrounds) probably wouldn't be aware of them. Keep in mind, no internet in this era, so information would be slower and harder to obtain.

Besides, if I tell you everything from the background, you lose out on the fun of discovering things in game and in character. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

gotcha, so the nazi occultist group is not something that you can make a character for?

HairyHeretic

I'm afraid not, they're the bad guys in the story.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

first off when you say, werewolf, do you literally mean werewolf?  and also, what if a werewolf under their control escaped from them?

HairyHeretic

You'll just have to wait and see, won't you? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Foxy DeVille

Sooooo down for this. Already got a few different character ideas bouncing in my noggin.

Bloodied Porcelain

Tentatively interested, pending some discussions with the illustrious GM ;)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 31, 2015, 02:23:32 PM
If I can be of any help, let me know.

What would be kind of acceptable in this setting? I haven't read many pulp fiction aside from an issue or two of The Shadow and seeing the movie.  :P

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 31, 2015, 03:38:00 PM
What sort of characters, or .. ?

Characters and gadgets/powers I mean.

Lasers would have to be 'Ray guns' right?

HairyHeretic

Well, powers would come from the regular Scion rules.

Characters, again, start with the base Scion rules, figure out what you want the character to be, and see what sort of adjustment might be needed to fit it to the era and theme.

Any kind of gadget that would fall outside of 'normal' tech of the time would either be a magical artifact, perhaps a lost piece of Atlantean magitech, or some weird science invention.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

alright, im thinking maybe a son of Ares for this one if it's not totally lame to pick such a mainstream deity.  and it'd definitely be ares versus mars.  certainly -not- the heroic, roman deity.  i imagine the scion character would be some sort of mercenary without allegiances.  or he might be locked up somewhere.  he wouldn't have the sort of personality that fits modern society.  i'm still pondering the details of this. 

*edit* also staking claim on mr. t hardy for this role.

Chulanowa

Holy shit, LOVE me some pulp action. This kinda makes me want to pick up some scion books and learn the game.

HairyHeretic

If not knowing the system, or not wanting to use a system, is a problem, freeform is an option as well. I'm quite comfortable with system play, but happy to go with the majority.

A mercenary would be perfectly fitting for a son of Ares. Anywhere that you have combat, you could fit the character in.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Tinkertoy

Mister Hairy, I am staking a small claim with the proposal of a daughter of Hecate....more details to follow as I dork out on research. Tentative Bryce Dallas Howard faceclaim also.

Tinker out...

I only wanna be your self-inflicted wound.
It sees you, baby. The friction between me and you.
Show me what makes you human, I'll show you vulnerable.
You bend, you break, you surrender and melt like solid gold.

HairyHeretic

Quick show of hands from those interested ... freeform or system?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Joel

freeform based on a system. dice and numbers *hissss*