Have you hugged a grammar Nazi today?

Started by Naiah, December 03, 2012, 02:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Moraline on March 28, 2013, 03:08:37 PM... Because I'm dyslexic and I'm tired of watching them try to make me feel bad about myself.

You missed a comma after "dyslexic."

* ducks and runs *
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Bandita

Hear Here, Moraline.  Dyslexia is actually the reason I contain my insane grammar nazi tendencies.  And Bravo to you for being awesome enough to be on  basically a literary site with Dyslexia.

Cyrano Johnson

But for reals now, there are actually lots of excellent writers who are dyslexic or have similar challenges to overcome. A lot of them work hard enough at it that one would never know unless they told you (Moraline is obviously one of these).

There are other reasons to restrain the extremes of grammar-Nazidom, not least that not everybody on the Internets is writing in their first language. Better to be a grammar Phalangist; I try to restrain my full nitpicky wrath for occasions when I know someone can do better, but just can't be arsed to try (on account of they think l33tsp34k is going to be the next great lingua franca, or have recently learned about Prescriptivism vs. Descriptivism and think they're sticking it to The Man, or some other such daftness).
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Saerrael

Quote from: Bandita on March 28, 2013, 04:24:34 PM
Hear Here, Moraline.  Dyslexia is actually the reason I contain my insane grammar nazi tendencies.  And Bravo to you for being awesome enough to be on  basically a literary site with Dyslexia.

There are a lot of lazy writers hiding behind the 'zamg IR dyslexia, ppl, kut meh sum slack, jeez'.  I know a dyslectic writer who'd you never guess is fighting this from hir work.

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 28, 2013, 04:36:07 PM
But for reals now, there are actually lots of excellent writers who are dyslexic or have similar challenges to overcome. A lot of them work hard enough at it that one would never know unless they told you (Moraline is obviously one of these).

There are other reasons to restrain the extremes of grammar-Nazidom, not least that not everybody on the Internets is writing in their first language. Better to be a grammar Phalangist; I try to restrain my full nitpicky wrath for occasions when I know someone can do better, but just can't be arsed to try (on account of they think l33tsp34k is going to be the next great lingua franca, or have recently learned about Prescriptivism vs. Descriptivism and think they're sticking it to The Man, or some other such daftness).

Amen, man. Amen.

tldr ; you better work it, man. Lazy writers; use the back door.

Naiah

Quote from: Saerrael on March 28, 2013, 05:08:38 PM
There are a lot of lazy writers hiding behind the 'zamg IR dyslexia, ppl, kut meh sum slack, jeez'.  I know a dyslectic writer who'd you never guess is fighting this from hir work.

Amen, man. Amen.

tldr ; you better work it, man. Lazy writers; use the back door.

You mean anal? *Giggles and runs away*

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on March 28, 2013, 04:06:52 PM
You missed a comma after "dyslexic."

* ducks and runs *

But commas are ungoogolable! *nods to the Swedish Language Council*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Saerrael

Quote from: Naiah on March 28, 2013, 07:28:22 PM
You mean anal? *Giggles and runs away*

I do like anal, yes, thank you~ *looks perfectly innocent*

Naiah

So does that mean you want all the lazy writers to use your back door then? *Gives him an innocent look back*

Saerrael

Quote from: Naiah on March 28, 2013, 08:07:07 PM
So does that mean you want all the lazy writers to use your back door then? *Gives him an innocent look back*

Only the cute, male ones. OBVIOUSLY!
*smiles sweetly*

Naiah

Interesting, but then again, not much time to write when.. well you know.. *Smirks*

Saerrael

'Here, we speak the language of love sex' ?
*laughs*

Naiah

You know people might learn better grammar if it was done with sex, just saying..

Oniya

'Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.  And in that endeavor, laziness will not do.' - Robin Williams, Dead Poets' Society. 

Substitute appropriate genders.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ariel

Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on March 28, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
'Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.  And in that endeavor, laziness will not do.' - Robin Williams, Dead Poets' Society. 

Naiah

Impeccable spelling and correct grammar will only get you so far, you also have to have the ability to use those words in a way that will sweep me off my feet :P

My nemesis:

Chris Brady

OK, I'm here.  Where's my daily hug?

Quote from: Oniya on March 28, 2013, 08:16:55 PM

Hate to break it to you, but most guys that I've known don't honestly care if the girl can even speak the same language, Oniya.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Naiah

*Hugz Chris*

Many guys may not care, shame though as you can seriously knock a girl off her feet if you choose the right words ;)

despickable

I must say it irks me some that supermarkets have a 12 Items or Less section

Its 12 items or FEWER
Not pedantic or nothing. (see what I did there?)

As my supervisor at work said its just semantics and wars have been fought over semantics
I replied  and anti semantics too

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Naiah

Ok, why is it fewer and not less?  ???

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 28, 2013, 10:26:48 PM
OK, I'm here.  Where's my daily hug?
Hate to break it to you, but most guys that I've known don't honestly care if the girl can even speak the same language, Oniya.

Quote from: Naiah on March 28, 2013, 10:32:27 PM
*Hugz Chris*

Many guys may not care, shame though as you can seriously knock a girl off her feet if you choose the right words ;)

Which was actually the point the character was making.  There's a difference between 'He was very tired', and 'He was exhausted.'  Similarly, there's a difference between 'He was very happy', and 'He was elated.' 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Flaming

Naiah

Quote from: Shjade on March 29, 2013, 12:46:13 AM
It is in reference to a group of individual items, not the concept of "items" as a thing.

Hmm I would know which to use in those circumstances, I just wouldn't know why :P

Quote from: Flaming on March 29, 2013, 02:32:46 PM
The thread might have become too serious for this...

"Grammar-Nazi" by College Humor

Nowai, we definitely aren't serious! Ok the grammar Nazi's might be :P And that clip is funny.

despickable

Quote from: Naiah on March 28, 2013, 11:11:55 PM
Ok, why is it fewer and not less?  ???

If the numeral is in the beginning of the sentence it is then fewer than.

The way i remember learning it was,
It's less than twelve
It's twelve or fewer
The correct grammatical  structure is when a number is at the start of a sentence it should be written as fewer than and numbers should be written in word form, in the case of supermarkets it's okay to use the 12 but the grammar of the sentence rule should still apply

Also as previously mention the use of the word items as a plural also means the correct use is fewer than.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - grammar lesson

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs