News:

Main Menu

PC Parts Help

Started by Sabby, December 09, 2012, 04:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Putting this out here for anyone else who needs help as well. If you're needing to buy hardware for your computer and don't know much about computers (like me) then post here.

Okay, for my issue, I need a new processor. I have a duel core. I'm pretty certain I'm looking at an Intel Quad Core (yes, I know 8 Core is the newest thing, but it looks like my motherboard can't handle a it). I've tried googling to find the best Quad Core for my motherboard, but I really can't tell what it all means :/

My motherboard is a P5G41T-M LX. What's the best processor I could put in it. I don't mean most expensive. My experience buying my own graphics card made it pretty clear price isn't a good thing to go by.

Moraline

This is the list of supported CPU's for your motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41TM_LX/#CPUS

*edit* They put the list in order of quality so the CPU on the bottom is best for your system: 
Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.L2)

Your motherboard can't support a quad core processor.

Sabby

Fuck x.x well, anything I need to know about getting a new motherboard?

SinXAzgard21

Yeah, certain boards do not work with some GPU.  Others are cheaply made and full of bugs.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Moraline

Quote from: Sabby on December 09, 2012, 10:15:32 AM
Fuck x.x well, anything I need to know about getting a new motherboard?

Are you a computer gamer? I'm wondering what sort of strain your system needs to support?

If your not a gamer, I would suggest just buying a cheap new computer whole. It's easier and less stress inducing for someone that isn't a computer person. (Unless you have someone around that can help you computer stuff.)

http://Newegg.com is one of my favorite locations to shop for parts and whole systems.

Once you get into the realm of purchasing motherboards then you need new RAM, power supply, CPU. It's usually just easier for a non-techy person to just buy a whole new machine.

PM sent your way.

SinXAzgard21

He is planning on getting a Nvidia Geforce 660ti....  So yeah he is going for gaming rig.

Sabby you're looking to put out a lot of money to set the rig up... I say lot of money because you'll spend more on the comp then a console plus maintaining it. 

Sabby

I already have that Geforce installed, and 8gbs of ram I need to put in. So yeah, it's a gaming rig and the only thing holding it back is the processor.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on December 09, 2012, 07:02:35 PM
I already have that Geforce installed, and 8gbs of ram I need to put in. So yeah, it's a gaming rig and the only thing holding it back is the processor.

What is your power supply?  Is the motherboard stock? What type of processor are you looking for?

Sabby

I don't know what you mean by stock... this is the motherboard the pc store put in when I asked for a custom build. That's all been transferred to a new case since then. The power supply is 600w. The graphics card, ram and case all add up to around 600 dollars, and those are new parts I'm going to be using for a while. So I'm honestly pretty confused when people say to buy a whole new rig. Replacing every single part can't possibly be less expensive then a new motherboard...

...can it? o.o

I'll be honest, I'd like a motherboard that can go right up to 8 Core, even if I can only afford a quad for now. I want the option for later.

Moraline

Motherboards & CPU are the core of your computer and combined should cost more then everything else. Graphics cards are the only thing that come close in costs.

Sabby

-.- Might just be my tech illiteracy, but the idea that buying a whole computer, with a motherboard and processor inside of it, is cheaper then upgrading a motherboard just seems so smack in the face ridiculous... I can understand if it's a massive upgrade over the old motherboard, but it sounds like this is just a general thing. I don't get it. If upgrading a motherboard is that hard, the PC guy could have explained that to me :/ I would have been happy to invest in something better if I'd known.

Moraline

Sounds like from what you pm'd me that you have pretty much all new parts accept your CPU & Motherboard. If that's the case then go ahead and just get a good mobo and CPU.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard   $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor  $319.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Don't skimp on CPU. Get Ivy Bridge. It cost a little more but it'll be worth it and your graphics card will perform much much better with it.

As for the RAM. Well, I don't know what kind you have - it's cheap to replace/change and it's easy anyways.

PS: Your probably going to have to get your Windows re-authenticated when you swap CPU/Motherboard. Just call Microsux and tell them that your old mobo/cpu fried.

Sabby

That's what I needed :) thanks Moraline. I got a hundred dollars for my birthday, so I'm already on my way.

Moraline

Alternatively you could get that motherboard and this CPU:

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor    $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116782

It's a good processor and will perform well for you, but if you can afford it then go for the better i7 I listed before.

Sabby

Looks like I'm a fifth of the way there then ^^ thanks again.

Sabby

Quick question.

Quote4×240pin DDR3 2400(OC)/1600/1333/1066

I'm assuming this means there's 4 ram slots... anything I need to know about what they can take?

Moraline

QuoteDDR3 2400(OC)/1600/1333/1066

That part determines the type of RAM it supports.

RAM types:

I have to go out but if you have the RAM packages still, it should have similar numbers on it.

Sabby

I may have told a little white lie on those. I have ram lined up in the sense it's in my shopping cart and the money is put aside. I'm just putting it off until I know whats happening with my motherboard. So I can forget the ram if it turns out I'll upgrade it. There's a program I use that scans my motherboard and tells me the max amount of ram that can go in each slot and what kind, but I don't know how to check on another one.

Moraline

For RAM, I suggest:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600  $64.99   ((It's a pair of RAM, you could buy 2 of these pairs but the one should be more then enough. I'm a big fan of G.Skill))
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

SinXAzgard21

I need to upgrade my RAM... I'm running 8gb (2 x 4gb).  I just got a HD 7850 2gb and I'm running everything over 100fps on max settings.  I also need to get a SSD.

Moraline

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on December 10, 2012, 06:02:26 PM
I need to upgrade my RAM... I'm running 8gb (2 x 4gb).  I just got a HD 7850 2gb and I'm running everything over 100fps on max settings.  I also need to get a SSD.

If you can easily afford an SSD they are great. The load up times on Windows start up is amazing.

However, there are drawbacks. A lot of them are duds and they have a nasty habit of crashing frequently - keep it in mind(back up your data.)

Also many motherboards need firmware updates to run the SSD's properly (it can sometimes make it look like the SSD is failing when it's not.)

As for RAM, do you know what your looking for already? If you do then as far as brands go, I recommend G.Skillz

Sabby

Well, I have what I need and reading the conversation is making my head swim xD thanks guys. Hope ya can help someone else.

Sabby

Okay, new question. My motherboard arrived, and so far I can tell it will take 32gb of ram, and there's 4 slots. How can I tell what the slots will take and how do I choose the right ram? I check Ebay and I really don't understand the difference between them xD Some look really flashy, but I don't want to buy a part thats going to die on me.

Caeli

I've used Crucial in the past to check my systems and see about compatibility for RAM - but I'm not terribly computer savvy when it comes to hardware. Someone else might have a more specific answer or better suggestion.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sabby

I can do that :) but the motherboard is in it's box, and I'd like to have the ram, CPU and board all installed at once (I don't do it myself)