News:

Main Menu

Twilight Convention

Started by Kurzyk, July 22, 2009, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

*twitch* Twihards? Twitards? *twitch*
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Jag

QuoteIt was chapter three, and it was the breakup of Bella and Edward; it hit me so hard emotionally that I had to cancel dinner with friends. At that point I was 29, 30 years old, and to make me cry? That's when I knew Stephenie Meyer was a brilliant writer."

...Wow...kinda sad.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Doomsday

Twilight Convention? Someone call in a bomb threat!

Jadyn

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 22, 2009, 04:15:22 PM
...Wow...kinda sad.

You just spoke my mind. Only I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that the guy was actually hit that hard emotionally or the fact that he cancelled dinner because of it.

Quote"I bought the first two books for my boss," said 38-year-old Kathy Campbell...

I'd get fired if I did that.
“The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you’ve got millions of pals out there. Type in ‘Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire’ and the computer will say, ‘Specify type of goat.’” — Richard Jeni
O&O [Edited July 26] and Availability Update [Edited Sept. 11]

Maeven

*coughs* Okay, okay. I'll admit it. I've read all the books. Not only did I read them all, I did it in about 9 days. 

I actually, really, really liked the series and don't really 'get' the extremely passionate dislike it inspires other than the extremely passionate desire of folks to separate themselves from 'everyone else' by claiming dislike of anything that 'everyone else' really likes.

Yes. I'm a card carrying Britney Spears fan too.  *stares* I do not and did not ever like New Kids on the Block though.  I have to draw the line SOMEwhere.  *giggles*

Quote from: Jadyn on July 24, 2009, 07:27:14 PM
You just spoke my mind. Only I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that the guy was actually hit that hard emotionally or the fact that he cancelled dinner because of it.

When I read that scene, I didn't cancel dinner, but I'm pretty sure I teared up and felt that tug in my belly when I read something that's emotionally compelling.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Inkidu

You know from my experience conventions are normally bad but this is so much worse sounding to me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SakiaWarner

Quote from: Maeven on July 25, 2009, 05:26:25 PM
*coughs* Okay, okay. I'll admit it. I've read all the books. Not only did I read them all, I did it in about 9 days. 

I actually, really, really liked the series and don't really 'get' the extremely passionate dislike it inspires other than the extremely passionate desire of folks to separate themselves from 'everyone else' by claiming dislike of anything that 'everyone else' really likes.

Yes. I'm a card carrying Britney Spears fan too.  *stares* I do not and did not ever like New Kids on the Block though.  I have to draw the line SOMEwhere.  *giggles*

When I read that scene, I didn't cancel dinner, but I'm pretty sure I teared up and felt that tug in my belly when I read something that's emotionally compelling.

Agreed..100%...
Maeven I adore you now.
"When you suffice a need, you take that singular thing under your control...even for a little while, it's yours." You want it, you need it, you HAVE it, you CONTROL it. It's yours..."

Shiri

My brain malfunctioned at "Twilight" and "Trek" being in the same title. o_O;

Mnemaxa

Do you want to pay $200.00 to touch the hands of the woman whose fingers grace the covers of the books?

That's what she charges. 

And people paid it last time.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mnemaxa on July 28, 2009, 09:28:14 PM
Do you want to pay $200.00 to touch the hands of the woman whose fingers grace the covers of the books?

That's what she charges. 

... ... ... I need to write me a trashy series of novels so I can get two hundred big ones a shake!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Revolverman

Quote from: Mnemaxa on July 28, 2009, 09:28:14 PM

That's what she charges. 

Stephenie Meyer is the smartest person on earth.

Risa

Alright, time for me to get out my saw. This is just too much. >< But oh well, I suppose we expected it to happen eventually.

Maeven

Quote from: SakiaWarner on July 28, 2009, 07:27:54 PM
Agreed..100%...
Maeven I adore you now.

So, who was your favorite character? *girlygiggles*

The Cardinal Rule

Inkidu

Quote from: Risa on July 28, 2009, 11:11:34 PM
Alright, time for me to get out my saw. This is just too much. >< But oh well, I suppose we expected it to happen eventually.
I'll bring the C4 if you bring the cookies, and lets not mix them this time that did not end well...

SakiaWarner

Quote from: Maeven on July 29, 2009, 08:11:26 AM
So, who was your favorite character? *girlygiggles*

Jacob all the way for this girl!!!! *Sawooon*
I really liked Ness too. (Love the little kid that is super smart)

I guess my fave vamp is Jasper, his backstory is just awesome.

But Im a wolf girl.. can't help it. *giggles and grins*
"When you suffice a need, you take that singular thing under your control...even for a little while, it's yours." You want it, you need it, you HAVE it, you CONTROL it. It's yours..."

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Maeven on July 25, 2009, 05:26:25 PM

Totally with you here.
I love the books. Have them all.
Seen the movie and loved it. Have it on DVD.

I love Twilight, the whole series, and can't wait for the rest to come out movie-wise.
However, I'm not like some of those lunatics out there who want to change their name to Somethingsomething Cullen or whatever-the-fuck-else and buy all of the merchandise.

And I just don't understand all of the major dislike for the series. I can understand the whole thing with people not liking the sparkly vampire bit; because vampires aren't 'supposed' to be sparkly and whatnot.

But...yeah. Why hate it so badly?
I just can't wrap my mind around it or understand why. It totally escapes me.

And honestly... Stephenie Meyer is not the greatest author ever. But I do have to say that she is, in my opinion, pretty good. I read like there is no tomorrow and see a shitload of very different writing styles. Hers appeals to me, personally, and it's good. Not the best but certainly not the worst or anything.
  |≈|  Apologies/Absences  |≈|  On's/Off's & More  |≈| 

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 
{Between Zyrkirius and Lloyd... Zyr is currently present.}

~ Current avatar ~

|≈|  Zyr's Beast  |≈|  Lloyd's first intro.  |≈|

Doomsday

The same reason I hate Slipknot, the Dallas Cowboys, and other such entities: The fans just ruin it.

SinsOfEden

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Doomsday

Aside from Brokencyde it's probably the worst crap I've ever heard. I'm a metal purist.

SinsOfEden

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Maeven

Quote from: SakiaWarner on July 29, 2009, 09:25:34 PM
Jacob all the way for this girl!!!! *Sawooon*
I really liked Ness too. (Love the little kid that is super smart)

I guess my fave vamp is Jasper, his backstory is just awesome.

But Im a wolf girl.. can't help it. *giggles and grins*

Jasper was my favorite too... especially in the last two books.  *nods*

But Jacob never appealed to me and I had a hard time trying to wrap my head around his appeal for Bella (especially considering Edward) but then again, I'm not really into the wolf thing so that probably explains it.

The Cardinal Rule

SakiaWarner

I liked Edward ok but something about him... he just pissed me off.
He was too whiney... he gave up too easy. Too moody for my tastes.

Jake fought... hard.. but lost in the end. He didnt give up, never abandoned Bella. (IMO)

And I do love wolves more than vamps.

But I loved the books..read them in a matter of days and yes I will be there to see New Moon!

Zakharra

Quote from: Ghost on July 29, 2009, 10:00:00 PM
Totally with you here.
And I just don't understand all of the major dislike for the series. I can understand the whole thing with people not liking the sparkly vampire bit; because vampires aren't 'supposed' to be sparkly and whatnot.

But...yeah. Why hate it so badly?
I just can't wrap my mind around it or understand why. It totally escapes me.

And honestly... Stephenie Meyer is not the greatest author ever. But I do have to say that she is, in my opinion, pretty good. I read like there is no tomorrow and see a shitload of very different writing styles. Hers appeals to me, personally, and it's good. Not the best but certainly not the worst or anything.

I think a good amount of the dislike is how she rapes (literally) the vampire theme. My daughter has some of the books and the movie, which I've seen since my comp sits with a good view of the TV so I end up watching a lot of my children's videos (Naruto anyone?) We have some other vampire movies and none of them are as bad as Twilight. There doesnt seem to be any bad sides to being a vampire. Other than some characters moaning and complaining about how bad it is to be ungodly powerful and having a singular diet. 

It literally seems to come across as, 'Oh, I'm so powerful and strong ' *flex* 'I'll live forever drinking blood and I sparkle!' *gleam* 'Oh, and dear, you do what I say, when I say and how I say. I know better than you, I'm a vampire' *makes pouty face*