Weird web-form behavior

Started by Oniya, August 13, 2011, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

This is completely non-E related, but I figured someone might know.

I just sent an email to one of my Congressional Representatives.  I used the word 'dropping' in one paragraph, and it apparently triggered something in their web-form.  I got a message saying that 'We have detected the word 'drop' in this field.  This word is not allowed in our webform, per Congressional regulations. We have chosen alternate words to use in your submission; please review the changes in the form before you submit it.'  (Actually, they replaced it with dr_op, for no apparent reason.)

I replaced it with 'falling' but that seemed like such a weird word to balk at.  Anyone have a plausible explanation?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DukeJohn

It may have thought you were making a reference to a certain part of the male anatomy that drops sometimes. I have gotten in trouble for making accidental innuendos with that word before. It is still weird and random that they would block its use entirely.

Oniya

Considering that I used the phrase 'We're mad as hell' (yes, Network reference - he should count himself lucky I didn't break out Richard Cory), and the word 'hell' didn't trigger anything, I doubt it's as simple as an obscenity test.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17