News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

So, all my "Argentina won't do well" posts look fairly stupid now they've convincingly demolished a very competent Korean team. It was a more competitive game than the score indicates but Argentina just had that bit of class that brought them through with flying colours.

I'm pleased France are failing after the horror show they pulled against Ireland. The French team hasn't really rought anyone through the ranks in years... half the team were seemingly some of the est in the world in 2002... and are now starting to get past their sell y date. That said, even faded, it's strange watching a squad that includes Henry, Malouda, Diaby, Ribery, Anelka, Gallas, Evra, Cisse and Clichy playing so toothless(and at times aimless)ly. It's like watching Euro 2008 all over again.

Rachubka

Lloris, Evra/Clichy, Squillaci, Mexes, Sagna, Toulalan, Ribery, Gourcuff, Nasri, Benzema, Govou/Anelka

I really should just be the France manager. I don't know how someone could possibly make the team look as bad as Domenech does. France has far too many egos (I know, I know, Anelka is in my line up :P) and isn't much of a team under the current manager.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Dunga's Brazil producing a mostly dull game, there's a surprise. Also he should probably be shot at dawn for wearing that coat, the pants weren't helping his cause much either. Yogi wouldn't be seen dead in anything like that. I do feel bad for North Korea, being undone by a complete fluke and all.

France were so bad it was hilarious--you know a national team is basically screwed when the coach thinks it's a good idea to not only bring Sidney Govou along to a major tournament, but to then start him in back to back games.

Kitsunetsuki

France was miserable today...It was kind of sad to watch them play. Mexico did really well, and totally deserved the win. Pretty sure the downtown area of my city was a mess with celebrations after that match today...they're probably STILL celebrating, actually...hahaha!

Tomorrow, both England & USA play...looking forward to their games :)
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Phobetor

I'm looking forward to all three actually! =) My hope is that:
Germany Wins
USA Wins
England Wins

So far the second matches have me pretty damn excited. I am enjoying them a hell'a lot more than I was the first ones! :)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Ridcully

Allez enfants de la patrieeeeeeee
allez enfants...a la maison!

Goodbye, France! Nice seeing you in South Africa. The match proved one thing: The France success from 1998 on was built on the shoulders of Zinedine Zidane. Without him, France is just a regular, mid-class team with a lot of players who are overrated because of their technic. How many French players were there in the Champions League Final this year again...?

Mexiko is a reaaaaaally good team, way underestimated. This dos Santos is a superb player. Is he coming to Europe anytime soon?

Just 4 hours left till Özil, Müller and Poldi are doing magic again (hopefully)...! Schland, Schland!

Stan'

Quote from: Ridcully on June 18, 2010, 02:27:36 AM
Mexiko is a reaaaaaally good team, way underestimated. This dos Santos is a superb player. Is he coming to Europe anytime soon?

You're talking about Giovani dos Santos, right?  He's played in Europe his entire career!  Started at Barcelona, then moved to Spurs a few years ago.  However, he's spent the last two seasons on loan at Ipswich Town and Galatasaray...

I used to buy him young, and train him to be one of the best forwards in the world during my Pro Evo days.  Always knew he'd be shit hot ;)

Ridcully

Thanks :) I didn't know that, though I really watch a lot of soccer.

Pro Evolution soccer - someone's talking about Master League here...:D I know exactly what you mean with buying such players young and training them.

About one hour left...

"I'd give a scarf for this cup...or...no. Not that much."

Stan'

I watch the English Premiership week-in-week-out, so I keep up to date with these things.  But he fell in to obscurity after he didn't seem to live up to Spurs standards.  However, I don't think they'll be loaning him out again if he continues to play well in this World Cup!

Oh yeah, you cannae beat the Master League.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got my PS3, I turned to FIFA... and I've never looked back.  Too used to having hundreds upon hundreds of licensed teams and the L2+R3 skill buttons now :(

Scribbles

Love the pic and caption Ridcully. He still looks like an evil mastermind. xD

South Africa has to win 2 - 0 against France and hope someone wins the game with Mexico and Uruguay if they want to go through... I think. T_T
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Ridcully

45 minutes and we'll see if he's an evil mastermind...:D Germany playing with the same team that started against Australia.

@stan: I'm only playing Fifa now as well. Fifa 10 beats PES 2010 in many aspects. Licensed teams are, among other things, very, very nice. It's just great fun if you can actually play with Liverpool and there's the chanting of the crowds.

Stan'

What the fuck is that tosser wearing No. 3 doing?  He's at the back post, and CLEARLY sees the Serbian unmarked.

Ridcully

Thanks, Miro Klose  ::) Thanks a lot.

Stan'

The Match of the Day pundits (Alan Shearer, Gary Lineker) as well as the BBC commentators are absolutely speechless on how he's been sent off.  I... just can't see how that second booking was justified.  And he gave a high boot to someone attempting an OVERHEAD KICK?  This referee is a fucking moron.

Ridcully

Oliver Kahn ist the expert for German TV, and he says it's insane how easily the players get yellow cards in this tournament (meaning not only Germany, but in general). On the other hand, Klose is the oldest German player with the greatest experience and knows all this. He just _can't_ do something like this as a _forward_. This is just as insane as the cards.

Scribbles

Things aren't looking good for Germany. I had to practically pry my nails from the chair after that shot where the ball bounced off the cross bar.

Hope they manage to turn things around in the next half.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Stan'

The annoying thing is you rarely see strikers chasing back nowadays to win the ball.

Klose does this.

He gets punished for it.

No more chasing back.

Stan'

Marin = shite.

Cacau = shite.

Podolski = poor today.

Schweinsteiger = massive disappointment this WC.

Ridcully

One should consider that the team played with 10 men really strong at the beginning of the second half. This was still impressive, considering you're playing against men from ManU or Chelsea.

In any case, Klose is the big loser. With 11 men, we wouldn't have lost the match. It's a big disappointment that he got the red card.

Podolski, penalty. Well, it's a big suprise Schweinsteiger didn't shoot. I don't understand it, because usually without Ballack he'd do it.

I wouldn't say Marin and Cacau were that bad. They got in in a very difficult situation, and Marin is a very young player.

Heads up, guys. Ghana is waiting. It's not over yet.

Nico

The Referee was a bit over the top in my opinion. Meh.

Phobetor

Um...Can we just say...OH MY GOD!! The Slovenio vs USA game almost made me get fired lol

USA was pissing me off in the first half. But second half....DONOVAN was beautifully angry and dominated!!! And BRADLEY did GREAT! Honestly though I think if USA had been doing this good on the first half then we would have never lost. But that's just my opinion. Slovenia played GREAT. They were whoopin' our ass! lol

Um...okay so honest opinion...should that 3rd shot have been called offsides or not? Cause honestly....NO!!!!!!! I don't think so!!!!! >_< I had a friggin' heart attack!!!!!
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Nico

It was an AMAZING Game. Period. AMAZING!!

My opinion? Nope. No offside. I didn't see it, neither did the guys on TV. If anything, USA should have gotten 11 Meters. I think two or three USA players were held back. This was really a wrong decision from the Referees.

Kitsunetsuki

Wow! What a comeback by the USA!! Down 2 going into the second half, they brought it back for the tie. Don't know why that goal was disallowed, but damn...that would have been a really great win!  :-\  Donovan was just brilliant, as always...

Next up, England! ;D
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Nico

Quote from: Kit on June 18, 2010, 11:07:23 AM
Next up, England! ;D
Indeed! ~cheers~ This time, we'll win!  ;D

Remiel

Oh, man.  That USA game was rough on my coffee table.  Every time the US just barely managed to miss a great opportunity, or let a Slovenian through, or especially when that perfectly legitimate goal was annulled on account of referee stupidity, I slammed it with my beer.  Anyway, here's how I picture the game went down:

USA Coach Bob Bradley (1st minute): Okay, you guys. Go out there and...don't suck.  Or something.

USA players (1st minute): Okay!

USA Coach Bob Bradley (13'):  ....dammit.

Valter Birsa (Slovenia) (14'): I look like bad guy from Charlie's Angels.

Robbie Findley (USA)  (23'): Hey, are we the guys in white or the guys in blue? I forget.

Jozy Altidore (USA) (35'): Hey, look, mom! I'm on TV!  Huh...I can't help feeling like I'm supposed to be doing something.

Zlatan Ljubijankic (Slovenia) (42'):  I make goal like Slovenia make...whatever the hell we make.

Clint Dempsey (USA) (42'): Where is Slovenia, anyway?

Zlatan Ljubijankic (Slovenia) (42'): I do not know.

USA Coach Bob Bradley (halftime): I think you guys misunderstood me.  I said DON'T suck.

USA players (haltime):  Ohhhhhhhhhh!

USA Coach Bob Bradley (halftime): Honestly, if you guys tried as hard as you sucked, you'd be great.

Michael Bradley (halftime): Don't worry, dad. I'll do it.  I'll get a goal.  And then I won't be a disappointment.  I'll finally earn your love.

Landon Donovan (USA) (48'):  Fuck you guys and fuck this.  I'm doing this all by myself.

Jozy Altidore (USA) (48'):  So THAT'S how you make a goal.

Aleksandar RADOSAVLJEVIC (Slovenia) (54'):  In Soviet Slovenia, Yellow card gets YOU!

Michael Bradley (USA) (82'): I did it! I did it! I saved us! Are you proud of me now, dad? Do you love me now? Why won't you love me?

Maurice Edu (USA) (85'): Booyah.

Referree Koman Coulibaly (Mali): GOOOOOO-- oh, wait. I just remembered I have money riding on Slovenia.  I mean, OFFSIDES!

Maurice Edu (USA) (85'): Booyah?

USA Coach Bob Bradley (94'): See, this is what happens when you guys don't suck.  Next time, let's try it in the first half.

USA players (94'): Ohhhhhhhhh!

Michael Bradley (94'): Why won't you love me?