Any Python fans here? (Monty, that is)

Started by Oniya, July 03, 2009, 05:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Okay - completely silly question here, but my roommate and I were having a discussion, and the topic of Monty Python female impersonations came up.  (Don't ask.  ;D)

So - which Python was best in a dress?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

I'd call it a close tie between John Clease and Graham Chapman. I do favour Clease, simply because no one can rant like he can :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kurzyk

As Eric Idle put it in The Life of Python, "noone's funnier than John Cleese in drag; he's just a crackup."

Id say I agree with that. I know the 'pepperpot' voice is really strong in Terry Jones, but I think Cleese was the funniest; partially because he is so incredibly tall. Even not in drag he's hilarious looking.

And yes... I love Monty Python.  ;D

TheVillain

What was the name of the chick they'd often use? Personally, I count her as a python.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Kurzyk

Kurzyk

Was watching the Confuse-a-Cat skit from the Flying Circus this morning. My cat crawled up and watched it with me and it confused the hell out of her. *laughs*

Monty Python - Confuse-A-Cat

Aleksandr

XD Not gonna lie, that one made my day entirely.
Insert witticism. But before I do that, I gotta throw up my Ons and Offs, right? Let's see if I can find them... AHA. Got'em.

Lirliel

"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

jeneric

That is a really tough question. One I couldn't even really answer. What cracks me up about this is that I was just watching Holy Grail not 5 min before looking at this board.  XD

"Can I have a little bit of peril?"
"Sometimes it's not the light in a person that you fall in love with, but the dark. Sometimes it's not the optimist you need, but another pessimist to walk beside you and know, absolutely know, that the sound in the dark is a monster, and it really is as bad as you think.

Did that sound hopeless? It didn't feel hopeless. It felt reassuring. It felt - real." ~Blood Noir

elenisil

I always liked Terry Jones, but actually all of the Pythons were great in drag....and don't forget Connie Booth...Cleeses ex wife who also starred with him in Fawlty Towers...still the funniest British comedy of all times..

HairyHeretic

Fawlty Towers was good, but the funniest? I don't know about that. Monty Python and Blackadder (especially season 2 Blackadder) for me definitely rank above Fawlty Towers.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

elenisil

Personal preferences Hairy...I love Python and Blackadder..Rowan Atkinson was brilliant.  I'm a fan of British comedy in general, but I've seen Fawlty Towers hundreds of times and John Cleese's maniacal portrayal of Basil Fawlty and the rest of the cast have me rolling on the floor every time I watch an episode...I think there were only around 12 episodes filmed. It was a showcase for Cleese...again personal preferences. :D

Callie Del Noire

I was introduced to British Comedy at an early age (around 9) when we lived in Ireland for 2 1/2 years. Faulty Towers, To the Manor Born, The Benny Hill Show, Kenny Everett and others have haunted my psyche ever since. :D

Right now I'm trying to find DVD (US Region) of a show called Minder.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: elenisil on July 24, 2009, 09:15:35 AM
Personal preferences Hairy...

But of course :)

I love Python and Blackadder..Rowan Atkinson was brilliant. 

Have you ever seen any of his other stuff? Not Bean (I can't stand Bean) but the small sketches. Like this, for instance

Rowan Atkinson - Hell

I'm a fan of British comedy in general, but I've seen Fawlty Towers hundreds of times and John Cleese's maniacal portrayal of Basil Fawlty and the rest of the cast have me rolling on the floor every time I watch an episode...I think there were only around 12 episodes filmed. It was a showcase for Cleese...again personal preferences. :D

Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoy Fawlty Towers too. Not one can throw a rant like John Clease :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Oniya

Not to diminish the contributions of Carol Cleveland and Connie Booth, but the question was about female impersonations - and unless we're talking Victor/Victoria, there would be a problem with including them in the poll.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Gupguitar

Eric Idle is the king of everything Monty Python related, including dress wearing.

Sabby

I saw in Family Guy, Meg was forced to watch 'the other 350 hours of Monty Python that wasn't funny or memorable' xD

Vandren

I'd have to go with Terry Jones, after his portrayal of Brian's mother in Life of Brian.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

SuperHans

Life of Brian is, and will continue to be, the funniest film I have ever seen. I never liked Flying Circus as much, but it still had some amazing moments.
That's just, like, your opinion, man

O&O

HairyHeretic

I always had a fondness for the Holy Grail myself, though Life of Brian is a very close second.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SuperHans

This is pretty shocking but I've never even seen Holy Grail! Or The Meaning of Life, but I've got that one taped somewhere.
That's just, like, your opinion, man

O&O

HairyHeretic

Meaning of Life has its moments, but personally I don't think its in the same league as the Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Mathim

Agreed. But I still love Black Adder best of all. I read about something where Rowan Atkinson once played Doctor Who in a short comedy sketch where he was on a planet where the inhabitants communicated by farting.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die