A newbie guide to Elliquiy

Started by Brandon, May 11, 2005, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Im a little bored right now and I see a lot of questions going through different areas so I thought it would be nice to write a newbie guide to Elliquiy so new members arent totally lost.

Getting Started

If your just logging for the first time let me say welcome to Elliquiy. Right now you might be wondering what do I do now? or where are the games? or some similar questions. This guide is here to help you answer those questions.

First off if you havnt done so, youll have to go to the introductions thread and introduce yourself. Make sure you read Lilac's "Welcome! and what were looking for thread" first and then feel free to start a new thread answer Lilac's questions and introduce yourself fully. Once youve posted an introduction you just have to wait till a god, godess, or Lilac herself makes you a full member.

Joining Games

If you came here from RPoL like many of us you came here because a game of yours moved and most likely your GM has told you what you need to do to get back into the game on this particular site. If your GM has not given you clear instructions then its probably best to send him/her a private message (PM).

If you look around youll see many games have moved here and you might want to join one that catches your interest. If this is the case then I would suggest first reading through the threads of a game and seeing if theres some information on how to join them and what you need to do to get it. If there is not then the best general rule of thumb I can think of is to send the moderator of that game a PM with a rough character idea to show your interest. Some ideas may not work for some games for several reasons but Im sure that every mod will work with you if your character idea doesnt quite work for their game.

Creating a game

If your like me you came here to transfer a game to this site (or are at least considering it). If you do decide to transfer your game then youll need to know how to do that. First you will have to decide whether your game goes in the Heavy, Mid-tones, or Light area. Both area's are well defined if you look at the text under the links to them. Once youve made that decision then you should send a PM to Lilac or one of the other Admins with the game name and which section it belongs in. Once they make you a moderator for that game you can begin the building process for it.

Private messages

You might want to know how to send a private message for several reasons. To do this first find a post of the person you want to send the PM to. If you look bellow their avatar youll see a small bubble (blue if the person is currently online, white if they are not). Click this and it will bring up a text screen where you can type in your message. When your done typing it simply send it.
Of course you should only do this if your game will need multiple threads for the game. If the game only requires a single thread then its best to put it in the Light or heavy fun and games area.

Another thing that I would highly recomend doing is making it so a pop-up window activates whenever you recieve a private message. To do this go to profile and click on the "Personal Message options" Link. Youll be taken to a similar window. Check the box next to the line "Show a popup when you receive new messages?" and hit change profile. From then on a popup will appear when you recieve a private message. If you would ever like to take that option off simply go back to the same place, uncheck the box and hit change profile.

If your not getting Private messages for some reason the first course of action you should take is to log out and then back in to Elliquiy. At that point ask the person to resend their private message and it should work. If it does not contact Lilac and the moderators or post the issue in the Bugs and suggestions area.

Changing your screen name

Once youve gotten some experience and decided you want to stay and game here then you'll probably want to setup your profile. First off Ild consider whether you want to keep the name you regestered with. If you think its fine as is you can skip the next instructions, but if yould like to change that its fairly easy. At the top part of the screen is a link that says "Profile" you'll want to click that and go to the profile screen. To change your screen name click on "account related settings" which takes you to another area. The second line down is the area you want to change. This area is titled "Name". go ahead and change it to Kiki the slave girl, Jorgon the ogre knight, or whatever floats your boat. If at any time you want to change that follow the same instructions to go back there.

Another thing you might want is a picture to represent yourself with. This is called an Avatar. To change your avatar go to "Profile" and then "Forum account information". There are many avatars you can choose from but there might not be something you like. If thats the case you can make a custom avatar. To do this first you need to find a picture you like online, after you do that right click on the picture and click "properties". A small window will come up and what you need to do is copy the URL. For example if you go to the proporties of my avatar youll see the URL is http://forums.elliquiy.com/index.php?action=dlattach;id=48;type=avatar that is the line you want to copy. My Avatar is acctually not there, its on a picture hosting website of my own but this is just an example for your understanding.

Dominant/Submissive

If you look over at your avatar youll notice 2 small links. 1 labled Dominant and 1 labed Submissive and like many others your wondering what those are for. Originally this was ment to tell good posters from bad posters however Lilac did not want that to determine who you might play with. Thus it was changed to simply mean whether the voter thinks the person is more dominant or submissive when Roleplaying, thats my take on it anyway  ;D

More stuff to come later, my fingers are just tired at the moment  :P
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TheRedFear

What about Roar? What's that refer to?

Brandon

Roar

Roar is simply the total score of your domanace/submissiveness. A positive number indicates Dominance and a negative number indicates submissivness.

Questions and the search option

Im usually up for answering questions (as others are) but for new members you should always read all the threads you can. Many questions that are not answered here are answered elsewhere. If you have a specific question I would suggest using the search option rather then starting a new thread or continuing in an old one. If you cant find the answer to your question after a search, which is unlikely, then go ahead and ask away.

An introduction to message boards

If your new to message boards then I suggest you watch the following link. Its funny and informative for those new to message boards.

http://pyro.buildtolearn.net/misc/posting.swf

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Zakharra

I don't see a Dominate/Submissive  under my avatar. Why?

Vandren

Quote from: Zakharra on June 10, 2005, 09:30:05 PM
I don't see a Dominate/Submissive  under my avatar. Why?

Two reasons:

1) Because it'll appear above your avatar.

and

2) Because you can't vote either way for yourself.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Zakharra

Ok. I meant above my avatar.  :-[    and you vote on Dom/Sub for other people?   ???

Vandren

Quote from: Zakharra on June 10, 2005, 10:26:03 PM
Ok. I meant above my avatar.  :-[    and you vote on Dom/Sub for other people?   ???

Yep.  There's a description of what each is for somewhere . . .

On-Topic Discussion: http://forums.elliquiy.com/index.php?topic=676.0
Off-Topic Discussion: http://forums.elliquiy.com/index.php?topic=244.0
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

kat

Okay, what about the stars (above where it says roar?) What the heck are they for?
Good sex is like good Bridge... If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.

A hard man... is good to find

-Mae West

Lilac

Quote from: kat on June 11, 2005, 12:14:37 AM
Okay, what about the stars (above where it says roar?) What the heck are they for?

Blue - Goddess/God,
Green - Lord/Lady
Red - Me ^_^

Lancis

Lilac I think you shoulda done Purple lol :)

In a game the Mods appear (yellow/ gold?) :)

Does the amount of stars mean anything really?

I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

kat

Ah, another nifty way to tell who the important people are. ;)

Purple woulda been my choice actually *nods*
Good sex is like good Bridge... If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.

A hard man... is good to find

-Mae West

Brandon

List of Moderators

A few people have asked this and I figured it would be good to put in the guide for peoples reference. Lilac if people get added/deleted from the mod list just let me know and Ill edit this list.

Goddesses: Cindy1, Dreamshard, Trieste, Pixie, Elvi, Dominatrix Zulo-Kitty
God: Vekseid

menndebi

I have tried to put in my own avatar in using a url in photobucket.  I put it where it says that I can put my own picture in.  It did not work.  Is that the wrong area to put the url for my personal avatar?

Thank you.
Deb
Accept people for who they are, never judge a book by its cover, respect others and others will respect you.

Lancis

i think you have to browse and then click submit, it should upload it for you :)
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

menndebi

So, I would have to take my picture from my photobucket, download it to my hard drive and use the browser here to use the picture.  Alot of steps...!  Thank you!
Deb
Accept people for who they are, never judge a book by its cover, respect others and others will respect you.

Auly

I want to thank you for putting up this guide as it has answered alot of my questions about the forum here. 

Moondazed

Did anyone ever sort out what the stars mean?
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Elvi

Quote from: moondazed on March 28, 2006, 10:15:47 AM
Did anyone ever sort out what the stars mean?

Green are for Members.
Blue are for Moderators (Goddesses and God)
Brown are for the Administrator (The most Eternal Lilac)
It's that simple *smiles*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Moondazed

Thank you, I'm a bit dense today, sorry about that.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Elvi

*grins*
Not a problem, if you don't know just ask, then you do know and you will now be able to sleep the sleep of a babe.

Ellyssa

Hello. Um.. a couple questions from a silly newbie, the first of which I thought I had figured out before, but apparantly not after reading some of the posts.

What's the difference in the Fun and Games section of Heavy Normal/Heavy Exotic, between NCNF and NCNS (and NCEF/NCES)? I thought I had a brainwave last week when I guessed it stood for one on ones for freeform vs system (F vs S), but most of the posts in the S section seem to be pretty well freeform anyway, not one on one statted games like I had hoped.

(And I was wondering where the name Elliquiy came from too. ;))

Celestial Goblin

I think freeform and system were originally meant to be just that, statted system games and freeform games. Right now people use the system cathegory to play games set in already defined worlds, like Star Wars or X-files universes.
I'd also like to know where the site's name is from :)

Elvi

Yes, thats about it Angel.
As for the name?
Well we'll have to look to our exaulted and most illustrious Lilac to finds that one out, even I have no idea.

Lilac

Quote from: Elvi on April 01, 2006, 10:49:54 AM
As for the name?
Well we'll have to look to our exaulted and most illustrious Lilac to finds that one out, even I have no idea.

^_^

Elvi

*Falls off chair laughing*
So .... I take it that you aren't willing to tell us and the secret will remain in a sealed envelope in the Mother Superiors secret safe?