News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest check Greek mythology[mul](closed)

Started by Fragile Dreams, November 22, 2008, 03:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fragile Dreams

Greek Mythology RP
Hello and welcome to the introduction to one of my roleplay ideas. First of all i would like to apologize for any mistakes on grammar and literacy, because english are not my first language. I’m from Greece, the land of myths and heroes, thus i created a roleplay based on the ancient myths from my land. The introduction, i’m showing you here is about to explain what kind of characters i would like to play with, as well to describe some things about the play. The setting starts from the time that the most  known Greek hero start his adventures, Hercules. No, it will not be like the TV show and no player will be able to play as one of the known mythical, Greek heroes. The players will have to create their own characters, based on the Greek civilization of that time. More details about the character creation will be shown below. It will be a DnD like game but it will be a freeform gameplay.

Classes:  The classes in this setting are somewhat same with the DnD classes but with many differences. For example, the ranger has the same abilities as the typical, DnD ranger but in Greek mythology is more like a hunter. Anyways i will explain further, saying about each class that has differences from the DnD ones.

Ranger: As stated above, the ranger is a hunter, adept on survival and hunting animals. Unlike the DnD ranger, the hunter, as i’m about to call the class from now on, cannot cast spells on plants or based on nature spells but only spells on animals and animal based spells. The weapon experties are, short sword, spear, bow and daggers.

Druid: The Druid is about the same with the DnD druid, same spells, same attributes  and same abilities. The Druid draws spells directly from Gaia, the Mother Earth and not from the Gods, although he must be humble towards them and respect them, since the Gods are above all beings.

Priest: The most respectfull class and highest state in ancient Greece, the priest can be the cornerstone in a play. Advisor, warrior, spellcaster, healer, based on the God he/she chooses to worship, the priest is the most helpfull class. Priests in ancient mythical Greece are the most common spellcasters, since mages were worshiping Hecate, an evil deity of magic. The spells a priest can cast are based on the God he/she worships and prieches, meaning that every god offers the spells, based on His/Her portfolio.

Mages: Mages are mostly withes. Potion, alchemy, hexes and reading signs on dead animals are the common things that mages can do. To be more specific a mage, is like a medium with curses and reading scrolls. Like stated above, mages worship Hecate, the evil underwold deity of magic, so most of them were evil. But that doesn’t mean a character must be evil to play a mage.

The rest of the existing DnD classes are the same and no differences are there to explain.

Gods: Is the main thematology in ancient Greek myths. Gods define the mankind and rule above all, so defying them will be not tolerated by Them. The greatest thing about Greek gods is that They have human characteristics. They hate, they love, they get obsessed, they forget and they get jealous. Often Gods, intervene into human affairs because they show favor to a person or a city. They have fought between them, thus having a favored god can mean, that another one might be after you or his clerics hate you. Typical examples and explanations:

Athena vs Poseidon: These two gods have fought about who will be worshiped in Athens. Athena offered wisdom and heroism where Poseidon offered water during dry times. Athena appereared in front of the Athenians with a branch from an olive tree and Poseidon appeared with an urn filled of water, saying that Athenians must choose a gift, so a god should be worshiped. Athenians chose Athena.

Athena vs Ares: The true forms of war, where Athena represents the strategic and heroic war and Ares comes as the brutal, furious and blood covered war. Athena favors the wise, cunning warrior and Ares the sadist and killer. The two gods are always in confrontation about the aspect a war can take.

To be continued…

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Duchess

you seem to compare it to d&d,  i never played that game and can say i haven't watched the movie. to what  can i than compare it?

the classes will be like normal humans?

and under gods,its only those 2 choices you have?

RubySlippers

What about Bards ever hear of the famed Sappho of Lesbos not to mention Apollo and the Muses, and someone has to chronicle the heroes and their quests. Not to mention taking up weapons to defend themselves and take part of them. I was thinking a Spartan Bard their women were trained to be fit and use weapons, and would have stidied the arts. Of course she would worship the strong and honorable Artemis the Patron Goddess of Sparta. Shockingly really Ares wasn't the patron diety.

As for mages why would all serve Hecate, one focus on a school like Enchantment might worship Aphrodite or some other diety such as Apollo. Diviners also could serve any of the major dieties being seers.

Fragile Dreams

You can easily compare it with Lord of the rings or any other fantasy based movie or computer game. If you want a more detailed analysis about a character, ask any question you want about any of the classes you want. To be honest, what the name sais is what the class does, it's not so difficult, be sure. It's only skills that make them different and im not so close-minded to say "you cant do that or your class can't do that". Again, ask if you still have any problems.

I was about to say, the races in the game in my next post, so since you ask i will say now. The races are human, Half-nymph and half-god.
The human is the typical person like you and me, no question there i suppose. The half-nymph is the offspring from a human and a nymph, either a wood nymph or a water nymph. The special characteristics of this race are the almost divine beaty, the long life and the illness immunity. Depends on what kind of nymph the mother is, the child takes a unique specialty. The child of a wood-nymph, has the ability to hide in the shadows to the point of zero visibility. The child of a water-nymph, has the ability to swim fast and be able to breath under water. The half god is the child of a god and a human (yeah, Greek gods were humping humans very often.), the child takes the god's main attribute, which is like based on what would the god have. For example, the son of Zeus will have the strength way above a typical human, a child of Aphrodite would be the most beautifull person the world have seen. I know being the child of a god is totally hot but this has a major drawback. As i stated above, every god has another opposing him/her. So the enemy god of the parent, would do anything to hunt you and kill you, just because he/she wants to get on the nerves on the parent.

The two examples i gave about gods are not which gods you can choose to have the favor....but an explanation about which gods argue.
the gods you can choose from are:

Zeus- King of the Gods and ruler of Mount Olympus; god of the sky, thunder, and justice. MAIN: Strength
Hera- Queen of the Gods and of the heavens; goddess of women, marriage, and motherhood. MAIN: Wisdom
Poseidon- Lord of the Sea; god of the seas, earthquakes, created horses. MAIN: Strength
Demeter- Goddess of fertility, agriculture, nature, and the seasons. MAIN: Wisdom
Aphrodite- Goddess of love, beauty, desire, and fertility. MAIN: Beauty, charm
Apollo- The Sun God; god of light, healing, music, poetry, prophecy, archery and truth. MAIN: Dexterity, healing/prophecy
Ares- God of war, frenzy, hatred, and bloodshed. MAIN: Strength
Artemis- Goddess of the hunt, of maidens, and the moon. MAIN: Dexterity
Athena- Goddess of wisdom, crafts, and strategic battle. MAIN: Wisdom
Hephaestus- Blacksmith to the Gods; god of fire and the forges. MAIN: Strength
Hermes- Messenger of the Gods; god of commerce, speed, thieves, and trade. MAIN: Speed, dexterity
Dionisus- God of wine, parties, and merriment. MAIN: Wisdom, charm
Hades- Lord of the Dead; god of the Underworld and earthly (gems and precious metals) wealth. MAIN: Strength, instant kill.

As you notice, along with the gods i wrote about what did they do and what are their main attributes to know what main has each god and would give to any half god child. The spells a cleric can cast are based on what God(dess) of, each one of them was.

To RubySlippers. Bards of course are there although they were called rapsodi, of course i know of Sappho and Orpheus and every bard there was. I explain who Appolo was. The base idea of the game is that they start as low unkown heroes, having their own stories and backgroungs but during game they are putting their own touch to the known myths, as well the players know a real version of any myth. Spartan women were exactly as you know them but at the time of hercules were the same women as every other. Artemis, yes she was the protector of Sparta but Sparta was different than the Sparta shown in 300. Sparta's people were mostly hunters than warriors and the girls were asked if they wanted to join Artemis's temple as priestesses. Tyndareus was the king of Sparta and his sons were Castor and Polydeukis, also knows as Dioskouroi (sons of Zeus).

The mages thing you say is what priests do. Priests specialties are based on the God(dess) specialty, so a priest of Aphrodite will have enchantement and charm, Appolo's priests can forsee things and Hephaestus's priests can invoke the element of fire. Mages worship Hecate because she their spells were mostly hexes and potion creation, spirit communication and telling signs from dead animals. See Medea, Ariadne, Kirke

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Duchess

hmmm..than yeah..this i would love to try .. ;)

Fragile Dreams

Cool!!!! Any idea about the character you would like to play? I would love to help you with any questions you might have.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

mannik

This sounds like a really cool idea...but you forgot Hades in your list of gods.

Duchess

idk yet..i thinking about a human expecting to become a priestess, or a nereida. like calypso... :P dont know yet

since your the Greek expert, is it true that once you take a piece of clothing from a nymph they will stay with you.
but if they get a hold of that clothes they will return back to where they from?

Fragile Dreams

Damn! You're right!!! Sorry about that. And he was about to be one of the mains :D Thanks for reminding me, i will edit right away.

To sensualnymph. It's not true, nymphs in Greek mythology were shy and show themselves very rarely. Mostly to the human they wanted to mate with or to druids. Even they fall in love with a person, that person must be really beautifull and spend a lot of time in a forest or the sea. Kalypso was a nymph, so hardly you could go away from the water, to start roaming the lands for adventure :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Duchess

;D you see, sheesh your the best ..so much info online u don't know which is true

so where i can find more info about the priest likes?

Fragile Dreams

Me of course :D

Which god interests you and i will tell you, what you have to do and what kind of spells you have.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

Well I watched the history of Sparta in a PBS program from the library, just curious, if its early Sparta women still ,gasp, had far more power than in any other Greek City-State and the training program was still there just not that firmly in place. Women tended to do the economics and the like while men focused on hunting a war training, they just didn't start the Agoge for some time. I think this was built on the earlier roles that they favored. But the Spartan way of life was there little luxury, little if any clothing, perfection of the body and equality (at least among the citizens). So a woman bard from there would fit well I was thinking serving Artemis as her patron goddess and likely handle herself in a fight. Spartan women are nothing if not the match for any man that is not a Spartan.

I need to find a nice name though, (something nice and pretty) of Sparta. NOT Helen. lol

Fragile Dreams

If you are going to play as Bard, then i would suggest to worship firstly Appolo, then his sister Artemis. Of course you have to worship every god but to show more interest to those two more...You can say, "I sacrifice these animals, to the Twins."

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

I'm interested!  I cut my teeth on Bulfinch's Mythology.  :D  Then I learned to actually read it and found it was more interesting that way.  ;)  Ovid is absolutely fascinating, too.

I even think my dictionary is less-buried than most at this point, so I could possibly help with names as well.

*scurries off to work on character concept*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 22, 2008, 06:30:50 PM
If you are going to play as Bard, then i would suggest to worship firstly Appolo, then his sister Artemis. Of course you have to worship every god but to show more interest to those two more...You can say, "I sacrifice these animals, to the Twins."

If I worshipped Appolo wouldn't that piss off APOLLO? lol

Seriously I intend her to honor Artemis first but not ignore Apollo and the Muses, or Aphrodite and the dieties of love when she whips up a love ballad to a maiden fair. Bards tend to be flexible. To offend the gods is generally a bad thing.

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2008, 08:25:02 PM
I'm interested!  I cut my teeth on Bulfinch's Mythology.  :D  Then I learned to actually read it and found it was more interesting that way.  ;)  Ovid is absolutely fascinating, too.
Sorry to ask but...what is Bulfinch's Mythology? :S And what is Ovid? I've never heard of those terms before. Anyways, i'm glad you like the idea and i'm looking forward to see your character.

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 22, 2008, 08:34:39 PM
Seriously I intend her to honor Artemis first but not ignore Apollo and the Muses, or Aphrodite and the dieties of love when she whips up a love ballad to a maiden fair. Bards tend to be flexible. To offend the gods is generally a bad thing.
Note, that Bards are not the rogue-like bards as DnD. They are mostly, story tellers than mischivieous instrument players that charm and steal. If you still have any problem with names, find a background of your character, let me know and i will find something for you...same goes with everyone.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 22, 2008, 10:26:34 PM
Sorry to ask but...what is Bulfinch's Mythology? :S And what is Ovid? I've never heard of those terms before. Anyways, i'm glad you like the idea and i'm looking forward to see your character.

Bulfinch's Mythology is one of the more comprehensive English language collections of Greek mythology.  As for Ovid - He wrote the Metamorphoses in roughly 8 A.D., which was a collection of primarily those myths that centered around transformation (like Arachne, Daphne, etc.)  My apologies, though, turns out he was Roman, not Greek (but they stole most of the myths anyways ;) ).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

RubySlippers

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 22, 2008, 10:26:34 PM
Note, that Bards are not the rogue-like bards as DnD. They are mostly, story tellers than mischivieous instrument players that charm and steal. If you still have any problem with names, find a background of your character, let me know and i will find something for you...same goes with everyone.

Bards would like be decent fighters and there is nothing wrong with stealth in war, hell, its often a good tactic. As for my character I was thinking a performer that was a priestess of Artemis and skilled in fighting not an odd skill for a Spartan woman. They learned javelin and spear, dagger and were very fit. You know a proper Spartanish Bard, and anyway who needs amny things give her a lyre and her talents, the favor of her goddess and a spear with shield (if I train with one) and she is likely content. What matters is gaining honor and favor of her goddess and do honor to her family and people. Well thats how I plan to play her.

OldSchoolGamer

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2008, 10:34:21 PM
Bulfinch's Mythology is one of the more comprehensive English language collections of Greek mythology.  As for Ovid - He wrote the Metamorphoses in roughly 8 A.D., which was a collection of primarily those myths that centered around transformation (like Arachne, Daphne, etc.)  My apologies, though, turns out he was Roman, not Greek (but they stole most of the myths anyways ;) ).
Thanks for sharing the info, i appreciate it a lot :D and turns that i know about Ovid from my latin lessons, although i knew him as Ovidius...the classic script "Ovidius poeta in terra patrica".

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 22, 2008, 11:20:13 PM
Bards would like be decent fighters and there is nothing wrong with stealth in war, hell, its often a good tactic. As for my character I was thinking a performer that was a priestess of Artemis and skilled in fighting not an odd skill for a Spartan woman. They learned javelin and spear, dagger and were very fit. You know a proper Spartanish Bard, and anyway who needs amny things give her a lyre and her talents, the favor of her goddess and a spear with shield (if I train with one) and she is likely content. What matters is gaining honor and favor of her goddess and do honor to her family and people. Well thats how I plan to play her.
From my experience in Greek mythology, Artemis was the goddess of hunt, maidens and moon. So in my pen and paper RP i gave three domains of spells to her priestesses... animal, moon and last because most of the Artemis's priestesses were skilled in fighting as you truely say, was war. Some very old myths say that the Artemides (Artemis's priestesses) were the first werewolves, based on the phase of the moon. And happens to know some myths that they turn into werewolves (see, the attack of the amazons to Athens)

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain."

My Ons and Offs | My Wish List

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: MrsNo6 on November 23, 2008, 08:33:46 AM
I am very interested in this game.
Im glad to hear that MrsNo6... what interests you the most? I mean what kind of character you're thinking?

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

I was thinking a half-wood nymph priestess.

Fragile Dreams

Sounds very interesting, although i must tell you being a half nymph is a bless and a curse. You see, you will be one of the most beautifull women the world have ever seen, meaning that all men would come after you, not mentioning that they would anything to get you, even rape. Plus, being the most beautifull woman would make some of the naughty gods notice you. ;) for being a priestess, since you are from a wood nymph i would suggest something forest related. Like Artemis or Dionesus. There is always the option of making a druid, although i'm not sure if there were any female druids in Greek mythology. I will search for it and i will inform you as soon as i find something.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

It still sounds like a lot of fun to me. :)

Oniya

I'm torn between two ideas, and it sort of comes down to what others would be comfortable with, as one would have me playing cross-gender.  I'm thinking of either a male half-nymph (cursed with his mother's beauty), or a female half-god (who doesn't mind being a hero-type, but has trouble getting taken as more than a pretty face.)

Fragile Dreams

When me and my buddies used to play this setting on DnD, i was a half-nymph Druid/Ranger. I don't think it's a curse being the most beautifull man around. Although, he might have a hard time around men, because they would be jealous of him, getting all the women. As for the female half-god, depends on your parent, you will have a hard time because someone will be after you.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Beautiful Lie

Going to raise my hand into this, Spartan male Half water nymph. Father got busy down by the river >.>; He's obviously a warrior, basics being the sword/spear and shield. Laconic nature, tries to only speak whats important and nothing more. Is aware of his beauty but not exactly comfortable with it being a warrior he values his strength over his charm. I'll have to think up a name though if I can get away with using a celtic name i'd just say Faolan.
The following sentence is True. The previous sentence is a Lie.

Fragile Dreams

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on November 23, 2008, 11:25:27 AMI'll have to think up a name though if I can get away with using a celtic name i'd just say Faolan.
Idea: Faolon or Faoloneus. :D

Seems that everyone wants to be a spartan :D there are other places you know you can choose of. Like my character, he is going to be from the northern tribes of Peonia, they were considered barbarians at that time but later on they will be known as Macedonians. Also there are the Myrmidones, Achilles's people. There are the Cretens, Athenians, Arkadians, Thessaloi, Amazons, Trojans, Scithes, Ptolemeans, Argeans and many more :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

It sounds like you've really done your homework. I can't wait to get started!

Fragile Dreams

Well since i'm Greek and in love with the Greek mythology, my homework is done, all my life now. :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

The hard time is half the fun, though. ;)  I'm thinking I'll go with the half-god, though.  A daughter of Poseidon and a mortal woman (*remembers certain Japanese woodcuts*), Meplia would be good with horses and a good swimmer, preferring to fight on horseback than on foot.  I'm anticipating that Athena would have it in for her.

Beautiful Lie

I only say Spartan because i just got done studying Greece in Western Civ's and the Spartans were the best greek warriors. Now if I really wanted to think about it I -could- go with a druid build and look at the other city states for a river travelling guy. Problem is my understanding is greece didn't have much forested land. Mountains and more mountains?

Oniya

Druid doesn't have to equal forest, however a nip over to Wikipedia showed me this:

Quote[N]ortheastern Greece features yet another high-altitude mountain range, the Rhodope range, spreading across the periphery of East Macedonia and Thrace; this area is covered with vast, thick, ancient forests. The famous Dadia forest is in the prefecture of Evros, in the far northeast of the country.

Fragile Dreams

Thanks Oniya :D Not forgot to mention that Druids, used to gain their powers from the earth, not just the forests. They worshiped the Titan Gaia (mother earth) but they respected the gods like every mortal.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Beautiful Lie

Faolocus of Evros, half water nymph. Roams the forests and rivers avoiding cities as they make him uncomfortably aware of how attractive he is. Shy in his manners and more concerned with nature and helping the land than helping creatures and plants. Was raised by his mother and thus knows very little about people. A bit naive yet overly mistrustfull as he as seen the 'humans' cutting down the forests. He doesn't consider himself human. Hows that for an idea?

Fragile Dreams

Sounds wonderfull to me. It would be nice to have a fellow druid :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

I'm wondering if a druid would be better than a priestess. What do you think?

Beautiful Lie

Depends on your playstyle, in greece the priestesses were mighty powerfull inside city states you know? While out in the wilds the druids were top dog. In war though the warriors obviously rocked the house. Note: Athenian warriors were sailors, it was the Athenian navy that defeated Persia's sea forces.

Duchess

;D sound like the ideas are picking up....

i will stick with the young future oracle of delphi

will think on a name

Fragile Dreams

Both have their strengths and their flaws. I will explain better:
Priest
Strengths: High in respect, trustfull, powerfull magic depending on the god, considered the leader of the group, wealthy, even kings can be with one.
Flaws: Must pray all the time, sacrifices to the god, depending on the god he/she must have a standar typeof behavior(for example, the priest of Ares, is brutal, hideous and loves bloodshed, not to mention, wickedly evil.), has the opponent god's hate.

Druid
Strengths: Extremely powerfull, doesnt rely on gods to spellcast, respectfull, trusted amongst the nature's creatures, great natural abilities like shapeshift.
Flaws: Not trustworthy by people, close community among the druids, other druids observe anything you do.

Quote from: Beautiful Lie on November 23, 2008, 12:07:44 PM
Depends on your playstyle, in greece the priestesses were mighty powerfull inside city states you know? While out in the wilds the druids were top dog. In war though the warriors obviously rocked the house. Note: Athenian warriors were sailors, it was the Athenian navy that defeated Persia's sea forces.
Actualy Beautifull Lie, that happen 1000 years after where we begin. :D At our times, Athenians had little army and more philosophers, their major army were the kings army, which were about 3000 people and the priestesses of Athena, about 200

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Tears in the Rain

What all would you need from us in terms of character ideas?

Fragile Dreams

To have original characters, creative backgrounds, and detailed descriptions about them. I will creat a thread so you can all post about your characters and write your backgrounds. As soon as i find where to create it :P

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

Quote from: MrsNo6 on November 23, 2008, 08:53:45 AM
I was thinking a half-wood nymph priestess.

Ooooooooooooo a fair woman to write longing love peoms to.

As a Spartan woman bard she favors men and women as lovers, or older girls of suitable age naturally to educate them and guide them.

Oh what are the age limits we are using for sex scenes here, I think sixteen is still the effective site minimum I feel that would fit the time period that was into marriage age and Spartan women were rarely married until then or a bit older. But want to be sure.

And since Sparta honors Artesmis couldn't druids and the priests work together? Druids could tend the crops and animals on the richest lands in all of Greece to make the state stronger with well fed citizens. And priestesses handle the city aspects and act as oracles. Might make them even wierder to outsiders than all their other little indocincracies that outsiders didn't like.

Oniya

I think Demeter would be more into working with productive crops and herds than Artemis, as I understand it, but Artemis could certainly bless the city's hunters if properly appeased.

Fragile Dreams

Druids had their own community, hidden by common people. So hardly they could work with priests, the only time that someone could see them was at Eleusinia Mysteries (hoping we will get to the point, to play those.). Plus, only Apollo had oracles, since he was the God of future telling(see Pythia and the oracle of Delphi). As for minimum age, that time, a girl was considered a woman at her 14, but we will make it at 16.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~jfarrell/courses/myth/97/notes/oracles.html

Read under Oracles the Oracle at Delphi was the most powerful and well-known but there were others, in fact every temple would have one they officially read signs or omens that would give portants to the City-State or supplicants. And in Sparta there was a traveling oracle that gave one I know I watched the Spartan PBS special and one was traveling in the area an intinerant oracle coming through Sparta who gave one. Most temples would have a clergy oracle very likely if not more than one if large as assistants I would think.

So in fact she could be an oracle for any number of dieties, as long as it makes sense. Like be an oracle of Artemis in Sparta or an oracle of Athena in Athens its just how good she is at determining signs and portents or however she does it. Although Apollo would be the most likely and well regarded but another would not be unlikely either.

In fact a traveling priestess would be a fine oracle in training.

Fragile Dreams

Pausanias was saying about the oracle to Gaia. Who was not much different than a druid. The thing is that Zeus had her in limited power because Gaia was a titan. And because Apollo had to be the only god to give information about the future. Anyways, im looking for a place for you people to post about your characters and their backgrounds as an OOC thread. Still trying to figure out where, but the snow outside distracts me :D (we dont get a lot of snow around here :D)

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

RubySlippers

Yes but oracle is a large blanket, a priest reading entrails was an oracle just tended to the matter at hand and making the people feel better I think but technically an oracle just told of the future. How they did it was another matter or if they were accurate. There is a difference between a woman asking a priest about an impending marriage and a City-State going off to war. It depends was the trip and massive fee worth it or not or would any oracle-priest work that was trustworthy.

I think kaboshing a player wanting to be an oracle is bad form, she could be one there were quite a few and several rather respectable. I could see her have her own oracle temple someday and make money and get wealth just wouldn't be as popular as the Delphic Oracle, naturally.

Oniya

It's definitely one of the Small Group forums to start with - I think since we're all human/oid (i.e., no one's playing a centaur or the like), it would be in one of the Human ones.  The only thing left is how intense it's likelt to get (Light, Bondage, Non-consensual, or Extreme).

Fragile Dreams

I can't think of a priest who was not considered not trustworthy...well maybe the priests of Ares were. And some of Hades, because they were mostly necromancers (to be honest, im curious, how come, nobody chose to be a priest of Hades yet. :D )

You're changing your mind about the bard idea?

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2008, 01:55:36 PM
It's definitely one of the Small Group forums to start with - I think since we're all human/oid (i.e., no one's playing a centaur or the like), it would be in one of the Human ones.  The only thing left is how intense it's likelt to get (Light, Bondage, Non-consensual, or Extreme).
Well, there will be some sort of non-consensual i suppose. But the mythology has a little bit of everything.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Oniya

NC-Exotic Small Groups would be my bet, then, just to allow for the possibilities.

RubySlippers

No I always intended to run a bard just an honorable one, Spartans are not likely to be whimsical that much to be enchanters and tricksters. Not that some entertainment is not enjoyed clearly they had a fondness for it just not letting it get out of hand to doing ones duty. I just can't see it but a teacher, performer and worker of magic in service to the Spartans and Artemis would be just fine. I will likely be focusing on healing, illusion and magics to aid in battle.

Fragile Dreams

I suppose you mean that you are going to be a bard but as a priest of Apollo. Since he was the god of music, healing and future-telling.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Jay

Will the game be using the actual DnD system or were you just using it as an example?  If it is using the system, which edition?
Showing definite interest.

RubySlippers

No she is Spartan and serves Artemis, is a priestess just not a clerical type one. Why would a Spartan venerate Apollo over their patron goddess I find that offensive. True Apollo and the Muses and various gods will get their due as is proper but she works for the good of her people and the goddess. I see nothing wrong with sacrificing a sheep once a year to honor all the dieites she needs to venerate and then partaking of her dieites rites and sacrifices to venerate her the rest of the year. I think most Greeks would do that just to not get a diety pissed at them. If she is IN a city honoring Apollo she of course would likely do a dove or some other small sacrifice to him as a special honor to his due likely asking his favor on the rulers of that city.
;)

She may greatly favor fair and maidenly Artemis but one can't insult the other powers libations to the gods and goddesses in general at the start of a meal is resctable for a Greek.

Fragile Dreams

I was using it as an example, because it started like that when me and my buddies used to play it. But since im not familiar with the system gameplay here and it would be rather difficult for me to explain the rules i will have it in freeform but there will be some OOC moments to explain some things that happening. The pen and paper version of this setting used to have some custom rules, that me and a friend of me created, they were a mixture of 3rd and 2nd edition with some of our editing on armor and where-to-hit.

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 23, 2008, 02:46:44 PM
No she is Spartan and serves Artemis, is a priestess just not a clerical type one. Why would a Spartan venerate Apollo over their patron goddess I find that offensive. True Apollo and the Muses and various gods will get their due as is proper but she works for the good of her people and the goddess. I see nothing wrong with sacrificing a sheep once a year to honor all the dieites she needs to venerate and then partaking of her dieites rites and sacrifices to venerate her the rest of the year. I think most Greeks would do that just to not get a diety pissed at them. If she is IN a city honoring Apollo she of course would likely do a dove or some other small sacrifice to him as a special honor to his due likely asking his favor on the rulers of that city.
;)

She may greatly favor fair and maidenly Artemis but one can't insult the other powers libations to the gods and goddesses in general at the start of a meal is resctable for a Greek.
Dont you think that, being a priestess of Artemis and not hunting, but playing music, is a bit offensive to the Goddess? Artemis is their patron goddess only because the majority were hunters, they mostly worshiped Zeus because His sons were princes there.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Duchess

hmmm..it s getting kinda confusing and difficult...

fragil will you be making the character sheet?

i think once the sheet is up and everybody placed their character idea we can work from there in game discussion,dont you think?

RubySlippers

Well I see no reason not to honor both Artemis and Apollo in fact since Artemis was the firstborn of the twins and helped her mother have Apollo, as a Spartan it would be very proper to be a priestess of both as a profession not the class.

Artemis to honor her fortitude, modest living and enduring hardships plus who said my character doesn't enjoy hunting, its a fine passtime and taking tracking is not hard if your using D&D 3.5 its just a feat. Humans do get two taking that and some survivale might make sense.

Apollo for the arts, healing and divination in service to Sparta and one whole festival for boys was in his honor I found out after some Googling so it would not be odd she might also venerate him.

As a non-clerical priestess there is nothing to say she can't serve both maybe not over a full priestess in the classical sense, but if there is a wedding or some service for the common Spartan she could suffice. And both get their due.

Fragile Dreams

Well now i created a thread about our character creation:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=24557.0

Everyone interested, post in there about your characters, so we can see and know about what you want to play and discuss on it.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

tiamat1972

I'd be interested.  I love Greek mythology, to the point I gave my daughter a name from one of the myths. 

I'd like to be a female human priestess of Dionysus.  Just curious on which gods wouldn't like me.  I'm assuming Hera would be one since she had a thing about the byblows of Zeus' infidelity. 

shadowheart

Fragile Dreams

Yes it is still open! I suppose tiamat wants to be a Bakcha. It would be very interesting because i haven't learnt a lot about Dionysus's life. What name did you give to your daughter?

Both of you, you can create your characters in the OOC thread.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

tiamat1972

That's not the spelling I've seen but yes, that's what I'd like to be.  Dionysus was also a god of madness based on the myth where the King's daughters were running around thinking they were cows.  I've read a lot about him but that was years ago, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My daughter is named Medea.  I liked the idea of naming her after a lady who took no crap from anyone in a time period when women were chattel.  Jason would have been toast without her.

Fragile Dreams

Yeah of course... What Jason could do, without the woman that murder her own brother and her own children to offer them to Hecate? :D

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

shadowheart

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 29, 2008, 09:42:07 PM
Yeah of course... What Jason could do, without the woman that murder her own brother and her own children to offer them to Hecate? :D

You say that like it's a bad thing.   ;D

tiamat1972

He certainly would still be there trying to figure out how to get the golden fleece.  Never claimed she was nice about how she did things. Most of the myths with women in them, goddesses or not, have them being victimized in some way.  Medea held her own.  She wasn't nice, but she was smart and she was strong.   

Elven Sex Goddess

I have been observing this thread.  I am intrigue and always been fascinated with Greek mythology and history.  I would like to submit a character idea.

A ranger, a woman of Sparta

As the patron deity of Sparta was Artemis, mainly known for the portfolio of the hunt.   A woman of Sparta, who in ancient Greece.  Were the only females that were schooled as a right.   And encouraged to participate in all things even sport and physical activity.   Even at the age of seven along with their male siblings attending the  For a Sparta woman controlled the household.  For the men were required the 40 years of military service.   Also to support this, that a woman could be a huntress from Sparta.  Sparta art did not have the normal pornographic depiction  of other city states of the times.  Instead pieces off depicted  Man and Woman, husband and wife  together and in equal partnership.  As they attended the barracks like school setting of Sparta, through for a shorter period of time. 

QuoteIt is hardly any wonder, then, that the rest of the ancient world viewed Spartan women as licentious and detestable.  But then again, as Leonidas’ wife Gorgo tried to explain in her much-quoted quip: Spartan women were who they were because Spartan men were strong enough and self-confident enough to appreciate them.

Sources used;

http://www.elysiumgates.com/~helena/Women.html

http://www.includipedia.com/wiki/Artemis

Fragile Dreams

The game is set far back from when Leonidas and his army were in Sparta but again at the tipe we play, women still had the same partnership with men. The patron goddesses of Sparta were Artemis and Athena, although Artemis was worshiped more, due the many hunters there. I like your idea and although we are 8 people at the moment i suppose it's ok to take one more. In OOC thread you can create your character and ask anything you like. In case you want to create a priestess of Artemis, which were the majority of female hunters(rangers) back then, you can also find a list of spells that Artemis gives to her priestesses. Note that they might be DnD spells but it's a freeform RP, so no cast checks or saving throws are there but i expect casting to be in reasonable terms.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]