Birth Certificates without Sex, anyone?

Started by kylie, September 02, 2015, 10:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Pumpkin Seeds

Interesting.  I still just don't see the issue mattering either way.  Though since this would alleviate stress for people, then I would side with removal for now.

Arsha

Being a cisgendered heterosexual, I'll admit that I don't have a thorough understanding of the complications experienced by transgendered and intersexual individuals, but I'm going to openly state that I don't see the practicality of removing sex/gender from birth certificates.

There's already been an extensive discussion on whether a birth certificate can be used medically, or if it's purely legal. But I'd like to ask the "It's just legal" advocates a question. What medical documentation of my sex is out there, and how hard/easy would it be to access? If I'm on the operating table, and sex is for some reason a factor I'd rather not have my surgeon second guessing my biological sex. I've always perceived the birth certificate as something that would be used in this case, a supporting document which correlates to other records... but admittedly I don't know what medical records exist of me, and neither my parents or myself have anything that would identify my birth-sex as male/female.

My main concern regarding this whole debacle though is that I don't really see the benefits of change. The argument seems to be that the labelling on birth certificate somehow harms a child's perception of oneself, but admittedly I never once sat down as a child to analyze my details, in fact I don't think I even saw it once. And had my parents told me I was a male, I would have accepted their wisdom up until I was socially confronted by my peers at an older age, leading to unnecessary confusion. Again, I don't want to be second-guessing whether my child is a boy or a girl, and would much rather focus on accepting them as who they are if they were to later correct me in regards to their gender. I'm perfectly happy to follow my child's preference whether that be barbie dolls, or micro-cars, and on that note; Wasn't the issue regarding attitudes, not legality? If the sex section of a birth certificate is so pointless, than wouldn't it be better to approach things from a more attitudes-based angle?

From my personal stance, I see the birth-certificate omission to be completely misdirected and pointless, and would much rather people focus their attention on trans-acceptance, rather than trying to change existing systems which have limited social bearing. I really doubt acceptance will come from changing the birth certificate, if anything it seems like a meaningless technicality that would just leave 'typical citizens' to negatively question what the trans-movement is aiming to do. People are averse to change unless they can see a benefit in doing so, and unfortunately from a personal level, the removal of the sex field from birth certificates doesn't warrant enough 'benefit' for me to want to leave a vacuum of questioning. A birth certificate might be a legal document, but it can be used to confirm your 'sex' on other documents.