CHILDREN OF MEN Movie- Deep Issues?

Started by RubySlippers, January 06, 2007, 05:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I saw the movie today and it was so incredible I have to put it in as a classic of Science Fiction on par with the great film 1984,THINGS TO COME, NIGHTFALL, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE and METROPOLIS. Now the basic plot is that for 18 years no children were born and the world is seriously screwed up with Doomsday Cults and anarchy around the world except England that became a police state. They are rounded up all illegal aliens as putting them into camps to effectively rot or get deported but its clear the conditions are horrible. In this an illegal alien has a pregnacy and later has a baby girl. I won't say more that is just the premise and some ideas.

Just seems to me an intriguing idea really WHAT IF NO MORE BABIES WERE BORN? That has to be the best premise for a movie I have seen in a long time either a classic or not.

So what do you think would be the possible religious and political complications good or bad? How would it impact you do you think? (just a hypothetical consideration but it is interesting I think)

MagicalPen

Well, avoiding the answer to that question, i swear to god that i saw that movie on TV a couple months ago. On the Sci-Fi Channel. Didnt watch the whole thing, but the part i saw was where she revealed her secret, and then several more minutes from there.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Apple of Eris

Isn't there a book like this? Handmaiden's tale or something?
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

kylie

Like many of our "fantasy" or "apocalyptic" pieces, the premises are based on real concerns.  Japan and much of Europe are suffering from near-stagnant or even declining populations, and at least some of these countries also have really large elderly populations relative to the national whole.  So, more concerns about flight to the cities, brain drain and intellectual property, and commitment of the young to support their elders. 

Also related: the depletion of American Social Security and declining predicted standard of living for youth compared to prior generations.

Btw, re prior info: There have been a lot of previews and some interviews about it before on Sci-fi Channel.  But not the entire film, as far as I know.