The Day They Arrived (Sci-fi/superhero, freeform) [Interest Check/Recruitment]

Started by Totoro, September 05, 2016, 01:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

The Day They Arrived

"I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to happen on planet Earth"
-Steven Hawking

Overview:

This is a twist on a common alien invasion sci-fi story. At least initially all player characters will be humans, although they will likely interact with aliens fairly frequently both peacefully and in combat situations. In a strange alternate reality an organisation of inhuman's who have been struck by a vastly powerful alien ability are being recruited to combat alien threats worldwide. Years ago this organisation was small and underground, little more than a last ditch attempt. After it's repeated success it has become humanities shield, performing every task under the sun to keep the peace. Of course some are going to be less glamorous than others and often dark actions have to be taken for the good of the world. This story will follow squad Delta-6 of Operation First Strike, a wet work unit recruiting a fresh team to combat the threats facing humanity. This is an interest check thread. If it looks like I will have enough interest to run the game (Not sure of a specific number but it doesn't necessarily need to be too many) then I will post up a character sheets, sample sheets of a few characters in the world that will be involved or interacted with and people can start PM'ing me sheets. For now just post in this thread to let me know you're interested. Please let me know if you have any questions or clarifications whatsoever that you'd like answering either via PM or this thread I will be more than happy to answer. Chances are fairly high I will be looking for a co-gm as I'm the first to admit to being a little inexperienced at GM'ing so anyone with experience who likes the look of the story and would like to help me out feel free to let me know.

Story:

The year is 2026. They arrived seven years ago now, and the world has never been the same again. A vast, unbelievable alien crafted landed in Siberian Russia. No satellites had seen it approach and the world immediately presumed they were technologically advanced orders of magnitude past humanity. When the ship opened hatches and began to dispatch tens of thousands of aliens the world presumed the movies had come true. But this was not an invasion. Much like the British Empire had in the past an Alien Empire had selected Earth as a suitable dumping site for a prison ship. Millions of Alien prisoners were left in Siberia and the ship vanished almost as quickly as it had arrived, leaving the entire planet in utter turmoil. Almost immediately global panic spread. The Russian army attempted to make contact and were met with violence, when the fighting spread too far a nuclear sanction was approved by all governments in the world unanimously and three warheads were launched at the main landing point. The blasts annihilated several million of the aliens, leaving the remainder scattered and bewildered. One Alien struck in the blast was capable of emitting a wave of radiation that would enhance the evolution of all living things around him in a wide area. His power was wildly overloaded in the massive radiation of the nuclear blasts and he let loose a wave that encompassed earth, causing unpredictable and dangerous evolutions in both other aliens and humanity.

Now, seven years later, the world is a drastically different place. It is estimated there are between 4-6 million aliens surviving and living in various groups in the current year. Humanity is almost entirely without war, having finally found a common cause important enough to unite against. Many religions have been changed, abandoned or otherwise warped and society has adapted wildly to the new world. Chaos has reigned in multiple countries after near apocalyptic disasters at the hands of aliens. While the vast majority of extra terrestrials are on our side there remains an unknown number of impossibly dangerous alien threats effectively operating as terrorists. While the armies of the world are working together in an effort to hunt them down there have been brutal casualties and in an effort to maintain functioning armies the idea of operation 'First Strike' came into existence. Instead of initially sending in soldiers squads were created from the inhumans. These are, or were, people who have been adapted by either genetic mutation or technological enhancement by aliens. They have a variety of superhuman talents and abilities and are used as a scouting and wet work operation.

When they were first introduced the program proved to be an immediate vast success. These inhumans possessed the capacity to fight the aliens on a far more level playing field, combating supernatural abilities with their own. What was initially a scouting operation turned into an all purpose special operations team with a rapidly increasing budget. Soon it became a global institution, turning from a tiny freak show black ops unit to the heroes the world looked on as their only hope. They now recruit anyone and everyone who has been struck with supernatural abilities, offering to house, train and teach them in exchange for hard and dangerous work. Almost all of the initial operations team have been killed in action and only the few absolute toughest remain, now mostly teaching new recruits.

Factions:

The United Front-
The alliance of humans and aliens fighting for peace, a functioning and healthy society based on justice and order with the goal of ascending to the stars and joining the larger galaxy. This society is loosely based on a more together and united version of modern western societies, although it is of course multicultural and has a leadership made up of governments from across the world. It's primary military defense is now Operation First Strike, the inhuman special operations unit that has proved incredibly successful consistently. Normal human armies still exist but for the most part they are shoring up defenses and desperately attempting to at least slow down what seems like the unstoppable march of Warlord Drazar's forces.

H.F.E (Humanity For Earth)-
A group of humans defending humanity, earth and advocating the execution or exile of all aliens. Have been known to start riots, hold violent protests and physically attack aliens in public places. They have a variety of taken over towns and villages around the world along primarily basing themselves in the city of Boston which they violently bar all aliens from entering. They allow Inhumans to join them so long as they don't look alien or advocate alien life. They operate on a backwards and extremely harsh legal system.

The Vel'Sharah-
A group of aliens who wished to keep to themselves and avoid interaction with humanity. For the most part they attempt to remain peaceful pacifists, trading and offering deals with humanity but keeping to their designated lands and not wanting to integrate into the main culture and society. They have caused no problems, their culture appears to function very fluidly and cleanly and they have not yet been seen to act violently or aggressively. They seem content to remain where they are, having no huge desires to leave earth they simply farm, trade and live in peace. They live in a large colony that spans parts of Tibet and China and have used their advanced technology to rapidly construct vast cities that incorporate highly efficient farms, allowing them to be self sufficient and live in peace, avoiding contact with others unless necessary.

The cult of Arak'Noth-
A mostly underground group made up of a mixture of humans and aliens that worship an insane God like being they feel will bring them redemption in a dark apocalypse. They remain silent, never causing widespread battle, but strike in tactical and incredibly violent terrorist like attacks. They almost always target civilians and aim to cause incredible casualties. Little is known about the cult as they have proved nearly impossible to infiltrate, many of the aliens easily seeing through acts. They are considered the largest threat to humanity and earth as a whole aside from the Warband and their unknown plots are a terrifying mystery for all other cultures.

Warband of Drazar-
A violent band of aggressive and war like aliens formed under the banner of Drazar the Worldbreaker, one of the most feared and infamous aliens on the prison ship. He rules with an iron fist and a violent creed of laws. He will show absolutely no mercy to any challenger, having the clear and simple goal of conquering the entire of earth and then leaving to re-join the galaxy at large and fight until he rules the stars or dies trying. This group employs every and any race so long as they follow their survival of the fittest, rough and primitive culture they care for little else. There are no real written laws and everything operates on a tribal code of honor. They smash aside all peaceful cultures and nations in their path and burnt a blazing trail through any nation they meet. They currently rule over large parts of Russia and the middle east although as they move like a warband they are hard to pin down, generally rampaging from one place to another in rapid succession unless met with highly resistant forces. The joined military efforts of humanity have held them back but currently it seems to be an inevitable tide.

Powers and abilities theme:

The power level will be judged on a character by character basis and discussed in an effort to make everyone happy with what they end up playing. As an example of power level using the X-Men universe Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, cyclops (When he isn't cutting mountains in half) would all make it in. Magneto, Professor X, The Phoenix Force, Apocalypse, Onslaught or the Juggernaut all wouldn't. This isn't to say things like magneto's metal control or telepaths are off the table, just that ones at their power level would be a bit much at least initially. Characters of this power level will exist in the universe but they will be NPC's that may come up, for the most part being involved in the huge conflicts of the world at large. The characters are all recruits to this organisation with no training so they are not at all used to or adept with their abilities. They are all welcome to have the potential to develop their powers further, much like muscles they should ideally be capable of growing more useful with practice.

The game itself:

-This game is designed primarily as a spy/thriller type of setting and plot line. It is unlikely our characters will ever manage to save the world but the things they do could be a part of larger events that stop catastrophic incidents. They might stop a building being destroyed, save an important assassination target or recover vital intelligence. Sometimes the stakes will be higher, sometimes lower, but the pace will always be rapid and there will always be risk.
-The game will be free-form. Any PvP (Not the focus of the game but just in case it occurs) will be discussed in advance by everyone involved and any issues can be run by me.
-The initial setting will be First Strike's base of operations in America. Set up on the East Coast a little way away from the now futuristic New York city the complex is a giant of a building. It has every facility and feature you could think of that a paramilitary organisation could need as well as access to borderline limitless funding.
-The characters will all be meeting here for the first time after their initial recruitment to see the rest of their team, the size of which will depend on the amount of interest I get for the game.
-The game will involve dark themes and gore. Things such as death of friends and allies of the squad, mass death in various forms, depression, physical and mental health issues of squad members and allies and dark military operations including torture will likely be present. How much all of this impacts the game will depend mostly on the writers and characters I get. It will absolutely be done by NPC's regardless, but if the squad have a strong moral compass they can absolutely object to it. These people are not trained soldiers and a large aspect of the game will be them seeing what being a 'hero' involves in the real world and what must be sacrificed to save humanity.

IC questions:

Are we the good guys?
Sort of. Operation First Strike are first and foremost a peace keeping organisation but they have a dark history of forcing inhumans to work and experimenting on their agents. They have an extremely 'Any means necessary' outlook to dealing with any problems they are faced with. Sometimes our characters morals may be called into question by the things they are ordered to do in the name of keeping the peace.

What will the aliens look like?
I am nowhere near a talented enough artist to give an accurate visual representation of a wildly varied universe of aliens. They will be primarily humanoid but other than that due to them being prisoners of a highly versatile galaxy they will essentially be as versatile as my imagination manages to make them. Wildly varied colours and features including extremely strange physiology will be widespread.

How many powers can I have?
Enough to get across the theme you want your character to have without being a jack of all trades that makes the others feel unneeded. All powers will be open to discussion to attempt to get the powers you want in a way that is balanced and not overpowering.

Can I play an alien?
Currently operation First Strike is a human/inhuman organisation. They consult with aliens and work with some aliens but they currently do not use alien agents, they operate in their own organisations.

Where will scenes take place?
Initially in the First Strike base of operations in America. The missions will then take place at a wide variety of locations globally, hopefully in dynamic and interesting ways.

OOC questions:

Where will the game be played?
In Extreme:Big groups. Just to cover the game because of the potential dark story based content and to allow everyone to let loose in general. It's unlikely to involve dark sexual situations but the dark side of military life will absolutely come into play.

Who can play in The Day they Arrived?
So long as you can follow the rules anyone on E is welcome.

Who is running The Day they Arrived?
Just me at the moment, I will be looking for a more experienced co-GM if anyone is interested.

How guided will the game be?
That depends on the aspect. Flashbacks will be totally left open to the players involved. What players get up to at Operation First Strike's headquarters will be sandbox and open. Initially I will be working on missions however I will be open to hearing suggestions/ideas of players and making an effort to incorporate things particularly if there is a unanimous desire to see an aspect of the world.

How will sexual content be handled?
I will be making a dedicated thread for any sexual content. I am unlikely to participate in any myself but other players are welcome to experiment with other squad members outside of missions. However it is not at all a driving force, or particularly large part, of this RP as it is mainly story focused.

Will PvP be allowed?
Yes but it will require a very good reason and all involved players consenting to what is happening. This game is not at all PvP driven and will almost always result in your character being seriously injured by the squad leader. The key thing will be discussing any PvP clearly between the players involved and letting me know if there are any potential issues.

How to contact the GM?
Directly via PM is the best way.

How active will the GM be?
I will check my PM's multiple times daily barring a real life emergency or situation. My ability to reply to everything may vary based on the popularity of the game.

How active will players be expected to be?
Please report any absences to me personally via PM. I would like if players could keep to posting at least once a week, depending on how the pacing turns out this may increase or decrease. It will very much depend on the comfortable pace of the players in the scene. If anyone's character is inactive for over a week they will be skipped in the post order to keep the game moving along. If anyone is inactive for a month without informing me of the reason why their character will be 'suspended'. They will of course be welcome back but I will have to ask that they try to inform me of the reason for vanishing in future.

How will NPC's be handled?
Initially primarily by me. In combat situations on missions throwaway 'Drone' level enemies will often have to be written into players posts but the higher level enemies and the NPC character's will be handled by me.

What writing style?
Third person please, sorry if this is an issue.

The game is in progress and I'd like to join, can I?
Your character will be brought into Delta Squad as a rookie, meeting the other active members and be fairly 'Thrown in at the deep end' to quickly start active duty.

How many characters can I play?
One to begin with, as the game goes on depending on interest and player count this may change.

How do I submit a character sheet?
PM me directly preferably with a subject along the lines of 'The Day they Arrived character sheet'.

What is acceptable to use to represent my character?
A face claim would be very helpful to visualise your character however artwork and drawings are perfectly reasonable so long as it's easy to tell what the character would look like.

Rules:
-Drama: Please try your best to avoid starting any drama. Any drama in the game will be dealt with by me, if everyone can apologise and resolve it positively that will be the best outcome. If people repeatedly start or get involved in drama they will have to be removed from the game.
-Post Size: Preferably two+ paragraphs to give a reasonable size to respond to. Quality is always far preferable to quantity, if posts are often too short or lack enough to respond to let me know and I will talk to the player, do not start OOC drama about this.
-Post Frequency: Initially once a week, depending on the pace of the players this can be adjusted/adapted to make sure things can tick along at a reasonable rate. It will mostly be a 'feel' thing and depend on what everyone is comfortable with.
-OOC: Keep any and all OOC chat to the interest thread initially. I will make a dedicated OOC thread if interest picks up.
-Connections: Character connections are absolutely vital in any group game. Please try your best to be proactive and friendly to all fellow players in an effort to make sure everyone feels included and can enjoy their time in the game.
-Absences: Anyone who needs to take a leave for real life issues, which always take a priority of course, I would appreciate a PM to let me know first. If anyone vanishes their character will be put 'on pause' until I hear from them and they may have to be skipped in post order.
-Respect O/O's: Respect for other people's O/O's is incredibly important. If an honest mistake is made confess to it and I'm sure it can be forgiven, willfully ignoring anyone else's O/O's is unacceptable behaviour.
-God Modding: God moding without consent will be unacceptable however if a situation calls for it and all involved players are agreed it's entirely understandable. Just make sure you ask another players permission before doing this.
-Talk to me about issues: Following on from the drama if you have any issues about the IC storyline or characters or the OOC players or chat then please contact me first as opposed to posting in any threads. I'm sure we can come to a reasonable conclusion and resolve any issues positively for everyone involved.
-Oath of the Drake: Please take the time to read and understand The Oath of the Drake, it can help a lot with understanding what is expected of you in a group game setting.

Character Creation:
-All characters will be untrained so far, having literally just arrived to their first meeting as a squad to see the other members, their leader and the entire of the inside workings of First Strike.
-I am open to people playing non-combat characters. Things like tech support, radio operators, so long as they'll be closely linked to the rest of the squad. A medic is a good way to get a more 'pacifist' character.
-The main priority for me is going to be an interesting character. If you really want to use a specific power and play a character built to enjoy that then that's totally fine. But they need a history, a backstory and a personality to go with that.
-Some powers will need a lot of discussion and clarification to get approved. This is nothing personal but just making certain that everyone is fitting on a relatively level playing field of power levels.
-Don't attempt to 'Power game' your character. If you are thinking along the lines of how to make someone as strong as possible in the setting it's not going to lead to fun for anyone. The best trait a power can have is being interesting, something with a variety of unique applications to really give them a role in a team. This is not superman and not about one man saving the world, but about a group saving one man, or a building, and sometimes be a part of a joint operation that does save many people. The stakes will probably rise as time goes on.
-Your character is not going to be trained or practiced in their ability. They may have some military or sporting background or something else that has given them a talent for adapting to it more quickly than others, but they will not instantly be a master of their ability.
-Everyone needs a valid reason to be there. Personality, age, gender and sexuality along with all other personal traits are completely open. (Although hot headed 'anti authority' characters may find themselves smacked by their squad leader) But it's important that they have both a reason they have joined operation First Strike as well as a power that makes them valuable to a black ops 'Wet Work' team. (Not everyone has to have a stealth related power, there is naturally a lot of room for things like demolition, distraction, CQB skills.)

Links to other threads.

Character Sheets Thread

OOC Chat Thread

Totoro

[float=right][img]IMAGE HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Name/Nicknames[/b]: (Birth name and any normal nicknames)
[b]Squad Designation[/b]: ('Super hero' Name, essentially. Like a code name the squad will refer to them by)
[b]Gender[/b]: (Anything goes)
[b]Sexuality[/b]: (Again, anything goes)
[b]Age[/b]: (18+ to work in the squad)
[b]Nationality[/b]: (Anything goes, First Strike is a global organisation. Bear in mind anyone from Eastern Europe, Central Asia or Northern Africa will have been affected by the war torn nature of those areas)

[b]Physical Description[/b]: (1-2 short paragraphs on how they look, dress, carry themselves etc., anything a face claim doesn't get across or any differences from the face claim)
[b]Personality[/b]:(At least 1-2 paragraphs on how they act, see themselves, see the alien arrival and an idea of how they'll be in a team environment.)
[b]Personal Skills[/b]:(As long/short as you want just things a normal human can do that are useful. Maybe they camp a lot and have survival skills, or used to shoot or do martial arts. Nothing too crazy like 10 years military experience, since these are rookies.)
[b]Biography/History[/b]:(2-3 paragraphs or as long as you feel you want giving a brief idea of the life they've lived and the big experiences they've had. The most important thing will be the alien arrival and what reason they have for coming to Operation First Strike. Be as creative/interesting as you like and if you want to ask me about how a country would have been affected by the aliens go ahead, or if you want to have a specific backstory involving the arrival/subsequent wars I'll be more than happy to clarify anything.)

[b]Powers[/b]:(There's no class system or hard limits here, it'll be a 'feel' thing. I've tried to describe the kind of power level of the game but a big thing is making sure there's no magical/mystical powers, everything needs to be science fiction based. This still leaves open a lot of powers like that but under different names. Just things like Pyromancy would be pyrokinesis. The key thing though is to put forward what you want to play and if there are any issues I'm sure it will be easy to find a way to get it into the game.)

Name/Nicknames: Jack Sanders
Career: Former politician turned leader of the H.F.E
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Nationality: American, from Boston

Physical Description: Jack is a 5'11" 185lbs American man. He has short blond hair and pale blue eyes that. He carries himself proudly, standing tall and often seeming to fill a room far more than his fairly normal stature would ordinarily. He dresses smartly, almost always wearing a suit while appearing in public. He has a very charismatic and friendly nature, seeming easy to like and agree with. He is fairly physically fit and healthy but not a heavy gym goer or particularly muscular.

Personality:

"This is our planet. Humanity have lived here for millenia. With all our flaws, all our misdeeds, not one of them comes close in scale to the danger these aliens present to our world, our species. My fellow humans, of all walks of life, stand beside me as I put my foot down in defense of my planet and stand in the face of our foes." - Jack Sanders, improvised speech at his first anti-alien rally

Leader/Charming/Outgoing/Positive/Liar/Manipulative/Vindictive/Territorial/Racist/Judgemental/Unkind/Lacking Empathy

Jack is a charismatic and outgoing natural leader. He finds it easy to persuade people to follow him and was a relatively successful politician prior to the events of 2019. He holds firm right wing beliefs, previously being holding a very 'America for Americans' motto and now extending that to 'Earth for Humanity'. He has a strong core of incredibly loyal and devout followers who will follow his word as law. After starting his movement he gained traction quickly, easily using the devastation inflicted on the world as a leading point against Alien species. He denies or ignores the positive aspects and heroic deeds of the few aliens who have defended humanity.

He has a darker side that he carefully hides from the public to maintain his friendly image. He is deeply proud and incredibly vindictive to those that challenge his views. He has organised his movement into a paramilitary regime, imposing a hard militaristic rule over the city of Boston where his followers congregate. His followers have been known to hold violent protests, marches and even attacks in the name of their cause. He is highly suspected of having links with terrorism and crime against Aliens and Alien symapthisers. None of this has been proven as it is nearly impossible to get close to him in his fortress of a city.

Personal Skills:
-Exceptional leader.
-Highly charismatic and persuasive.
-Relentless and tenacious attitude.
-In control of dedicated paramilitary forces.

Biography/History:Jack was born in Boston, living a relatively normal and uninteresting life. He rose efficiently through school and college finding it easy to make friends with his charismatic nature. He became interested in politics as he found it so easy to convince others to listen to him. His beliefs fell into a primarily Republican outlook and he found a place in their party. Working his way through he eventually ended up as the Mayor of Boston. He took a great pride in what he considered his city, feeling passionately defensive of every citizen who took up residence there. Under his hard line yet charismatic leadership the city enjoyed a great economic boom. Crime fell, unemployment fell, wages went up and for the most part the city seemed to be happy. Of course not everyone agreed with him but he was proving incredibly popular and effective.

When the Aliens landed in 2019 Jack started a rally later that day. Hundreds of thousands turned out, filling Franklin Park to an unbelievable capacity to listen to their leader speak. His speech took a highly anti-alien stance, speaking from a pro-humanity standpoint. He was met with applause and cheering, the majority of the crowd taking his side. As time went on and alien caused devastation rose dramatically he felt vindicated in his stance. Many felt the same way, forming a party of their own outside of America's legal system. They rose up and took over Boston city, after a long and difficult peace talk it was agreed between his group, H.F.E (Humanity for Earth) and the United Front that Boston would be allowed to operate under his leadership and political stance.

His city once again flourished despite a great deal of trading difficulties it eventually became fully functioning and self sufficient. Under the radar he stockpiled arms and armour, making certain his city was highly defended and ready for any military situation. He spoke in support of the nuclear strikes against aliens, and all other military efforts against them. Soon his group formed a military branch and began their own anti alien operations. Assassinations, mass murders and attacking alien supporters became commonplace. This group were surprisingly successful due to how busy most military organisations were dealing with potential alien threats and some military leaders even feeling like they at least did some good unlike the Warband who were 'The real threat'. They now operate as an effective paramilitary anti-alien terror organisation based in Boston.

Name/Nicknames: Caroline Smith
Career: Chief Operations Director
Nationality: American

Physical Description: Carline is a 5'8" 120lbs woman with brunette hair, hazel eyes and a slim body. She is so work focused that she tends to eat poorly and while she was fitter in younger life her obsession with her work has pushed her health aside. She often barely sleeps and frequently seems tired. Despite this she dresses smartly and keeps herself highly professional in her appearance at all times to maintain the important image of her organisation.

Personality:

"We do what we must in these dark days. Yes, my agents may have committed dark actions. Yes, I have given the order to take lives and to do whatever it takes to ensure success. But do not talk to me as though I gave that order lightly. My organisation and I carry the future of humanity on our shoulders, we only do what is necessary for earth." Caroline Smith, being questioned about the ruthless tactics First Strike employs

Hard Line/Strict/Harsh/Organised/Militant/Merciless/Passionate/Driven/Tenacious/Realist/Confident

Caroline is an incredibly militant woman. In all aspects of her life she maintains a strict and organised manner. She tolerates absolutely no errors or failures from her employees, expecting the absolute best from everyone from veteran to rookie. Her nature encourages everyone to be their absolute best, being highly effective at turning fresh recruits into soldiers. She has minimal patience for incompetence and never hesitates to meet out harsh punishment when she feels it is deserved. Likewise she will give high praise for success, applauding and awarding her best agents for their good work.

She is a very realistic person, being grounded in an honest and objective view of the world. She knows she's on the right side and knows everything she has done or ordered to be done has been for the greater good to defend the survival of humankind or earth itself. She has no time to care about herself, devoting her entire being to her work to drive forward humanity as best she can. She will relentlessly follow the right course of action no matter how dark the path turns or what evils must be committed along the way she has an infallible refusal to deter from her path unless logic dictates it's no longer the best course of action. She is highly confident in both herself and her organisation to do what's right for the world in the long run.

Personal Skills:
-Fully trained former C.I.A agent.
-Incredibly driven leader.
-Skilled negotiator.
-Intelligent, quick thinking and adaptable.
-Commands the loyalty and respect of almost all of Operation First Strike.

Biography/History:Caroline was raised in a rich household, having a very easy and comfortable life with little conflict or trouble. She became interested in intelligence work as she went into college, intending on joining a government agency. Initially she had a little trouble due to her age but her incredible work ethic and intense personality quickly won out. She rose through the ranks like a shooting star, often astounding others with her conviction and determination. She easily proved that there was nothing she was not willing to do for the good of humanity. Initially she was shocked at some of the events she witnessed but it was quickly clear she had a talent for adapting to new situations and became accustomed to the darker side of her work.

When the events of 2019 transpired Caroline new something new would be needed to combat this. She made an effort to setup Operation First Strike as a way of dealing with threats that were simply beyond the abilities of humanity. Initially this group had been paramilitary and recruited from groups such as the Navy Seals and the S.A.S, they met with catastrophic failure at the hands of aliens and suffered immense losses. When the inhuman's began to show up she saw them as the key, an opportunity that could be turned into the tool that would save humanity. Their first recruits were a severely dysfunctional team with a sea of issues, but nobody could deny that they had the capacity to surpass what any human could hope to do. Despite their hectic and unpredictable nature they had a string of rapid successes, letting the organisation be taken a great deal more seriously.

Now in 2026 Operation First Strike is the leading international organisation for humanities defence. The list of successful operations they have run is near endless, leading to widespread renown and fame. They recruit easily, with most inhumans turning to the organisation to learn to understand their abilities, meet with others like them and to attempt to do good work. The organisation has a history of experimentation on both inhumans and aliens and is still suspected of committing dark actions behind closed doors but Caroline works to make certain this remains a mystery. She is fiercely proud of her organisation and employees and feels that despite committing some dark deeds they are all truly heroes.

Kadigan

Totoro

Awesome, feel free to ask me anything or let me know any ideas you have.

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Vergil1989

Inhumans, someone's been watching Marvel's Agents of SHIELD I think.  :P  Joking aside, the idea you've presented here is pretty good all things considered, but my only minor gripe is that I'd have liked to be able to play an alien that joins the squad, but that's just me lol.  Barring that though, I think I could come up with something with relative ease.  Perhaps someone that was rescued from Drazer's band or survived an attack by the bastard and his people.  I tend to like to play those emotionally scarred types for some reason.  ;D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Totoro

I've honestly never watched Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. I'm a fan of the MCU in general but I just never got around to watching it, I probably should try though.

I decided to keep it simple for now and avoid aliens, I might open up the opportunity to play Alien characters later down the line. Drazar's band definitely would have people who 'got away' as their leadership is extremely disorganised and messy, and they're one of the largest targets for Operation First Strike. A survive of attacks would maybe make more sense as a 'rookie' character though. Drazar's band are a very 'Strike hard and fast' military operation, they tend to mass up an absurd force at one point and completely overwhelm it. So any victim of theirs would have witnessed unbelievable destruction. The picture of the wasteland in the first post is a fairly reasonable representation of the wasteland of Moscow after Drazar raided it seven years ago. I can imagine there being serious room for some bad emotional scarring for any survivor, almost all their family/friends and even acquaintances would have been butchered in the street. I tend to ramble but in summary, an inhuman victim of Drazar's warband definitely gives a lot of space for emotional scarring and a hell of a determination for vengeance. The only real limitation is they'd have had to live in Eastern Europe, Central Asia or Northern Africa at some point in the years since the invasion in order to have actually met the warband.

Vergil1989

You should, especially if you're a fan of the MCU since SHIELD does loosely crossover with the films on occasion.  They DID have Lady Sif, I think even the same actress that appeared in the Thor movies, pop up, hunting another Asgardian that had the power to seduce and manipulate virtually any man she spoke to, although a touch was more than enough where her voice failed if I recall correctly.  I can't remember what her name was, but it was a pretty intense bit of action and story in that episode alone as you'd expect where Norse 'gods' are involved lol.

As for your rant here, meh, we all rant sometimes, just some of us do it more regularly than others is all.  ;D  But a simple family trip seems like the easiest way for my gal to have ran into the warband, likely spending the next few years just getting their head back together while going through some physical therapy to boot depending on how badly they ended up hurt during the chaos and mayhem.  That actually opens the door to kind of what I was thinking in terms to her powers and skills, her being cybernetically enhanced, which would involve her powers being able to possibly interact with any tech she came into contact with.  Not Cyborg level of interaction, she'd have to understand and be given time to hook up to whatever she's trying to handle, especially since she's new at the Inhuman game and all, but would that work for ya Sun?  I can think of something else easily enough, and she wouldn't be pulling out giant ass laser cannons or anything, at least not for a long time if it ever comes about, but being able to hack her way through virtually any lock or security system seems pretty handy for the team if you ask me.  ;D  She'd likely still have nightmares of that day her world got ripped to pieces, but beyond that and possibly having a chip on her shoulder, she'd be nice enough to her fellow recruits.  ;D
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

Totoro

I think I was mostly worried about budget issues and being disappointed by the TV series. Sounds like it's better than I'd expect so I'll definitely look at trying it out, thanks.

That's definitely an interesting power concept since she'd have a lot of unique possibilities during missions in combat and non combat situations, exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'd be open to have her having some small concealed weapons in the cybernetic parts of her body initially but as you said no giant laser cannons. The exact level of atrocities she witnessed is mostly up to you, although it's unlikely she met anyone high up in the warband and walked away even the lower level aliens are frequently superhuman, extremely strong and more than capable of butchering civilians. I'd be open to there being a specific target she remembers who killed someone she knew right in front of her, she could have given them a nickname and remembered them in her nightmares. Would have potential later on for a huge moral dilemma if she encountered them on mission and had to choose between revenge and helping her squad. Nightmares/PTSD/chips on shoulder are all a hundred percent fine with me, the squad leader character has her fair share of issues. These people are meant to be poorly cut out for the roles they're being shoehorned into since we didn't get the luxury of giving the powers to a bunch of Navy Seals and S.A.S we got stuck with, like your character for example, a random girl with PTSD and no combat experience. 

Vergil1989

Well, considering they went full on Hive, as in Hydra's 'God' figure almost right out of the comics, I doubt you'll be disappointed lol.  They have the money to spend though because it's Marvel, they've had success after success after success with most of their movies and shows, regardless if it's been on TV or Netflix as their Daredevil series has been, along with Jessica Jones and soon to be Luke Cage and Iron Fist, to name a few.  David Tennant did an AMAZING Killgrave, if you haven't seen it already, but I liked him as the Doctor from Doctor Who, so I might be biased lol.

ANYWAY!  I'm glad you like my idea and I'll definitely try to get a character sheet going for ya Sun, as soon as you get a character sheet up that us mere humans can work up for you.  :P  Joking aside, again thank you and see ya soon.

Totoro

I've loved everything Marvel have done on Netflix. There were a couple of hiccups in Daredevil season 2 but Jon Bernthal's Punisher and Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin catapulted both seasons into being some of the best comic adaptations I've ever seen. Jessica Jones was great too, the actress did an awesome job of her and I liked David Tenant too. I enjoyed his Doctor, although I'm not very into Doctor Who anymore. Not sure why I had cold feet about Agents of SHIELD to be honest, probably the same way I keep failing to get around to finishing up Gotham despite it's awesome reviews and really enjoying what I have seen of it.

We're all mere humans here. I just held back on putting up a character sheet depending on how the interest check went, it'll probably be up tomorrow since it looks like it's picking up fairly well so far. I really suck at putting things into code properly so that might be a hilarious new game, trying to make it all selectable code properly. No problem and see you soon.

Vergil1989

Name:
Sexuality:
Appearance:  Can include a written description on top of a picture of either a real person or some kind of artwork or whatever.
Nationality:
Skills:
Powers:
Personality:
Background Information:

[float=right][img]IMAGE HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Sexuality[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]:  Can include a written description on top of a picture of either a real person or some kind of artwork or whatever.
[b]Nationality[/b]:
[b]Skills[/b]:
[b]Powers[/b]:
[b]Personality[/b]:
[b]Background Information[/b]:

Doesn't seem that hard to me.  ;D  Jokes aside, you can Quote anyone's post and make edits or what have you if need be, just be sure to remove the actual 'quote' part of the post so it doesn't come up as a blue screen background box and all that.  But seriously, I don't mind lending a hand if you want to tell me what you need/want or whatever Sun.

Totoro

I fought by on trial and error but I was being a bit stupid on the quoting part. I'm going to have some little descriptions just so everyone is on the same page about what I want from the bios so I'll get that down properly tomorrow morning probably. Thanks for the help though, and if it all picks up and I do need back up I'll appreciate help. Thanks!

Vergil1989

Don't misunderstand, I doubt I'd be able to Co-GM or anything, but lending a helping hand every now and again I don't mind doing, but you're welcome regardless Sun.

Totoro

I figured it as an occasional helping hand type of deal, don't worry. Probably time I ought to get some rest anyway. I'll get a CS up tomorrow so people can submit characters.

Totoro

Just added the character sheet form into the second post. Anyone interested can PM their sheet directly to me. As always I'm open to any/all questions. Thanks!

Chreestafer

So are they like full on super heros.

Or are they more like, not sure if you've seen the tv show, Alphas?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Totoro

Never seen the tv show. I wouldn't really call them heros, they're more like soldiers. They do good and bad, sort of an anti-hero thing.

From the looks of the show they're definitely stronger than that. I'm going to get around to putting up a couple of character sheets for NPC's. But powers that would, for example, be totally fine.

-Telekinesis
-Telepathy
-Pyrokinesis/Cryokinesis
-Speedster
-Super strength
-alternate form (E.g. living metal)
-Animal control
-Energy manipulation
-Regenerative healing factor
-beyond peak human physique
-shapeshifting

But they can't be, for example, a telepath on the level of Charles Xavier. Or strong on the level of the Hulk. Hopefully that makes sense?

Vergil1989

Name/Nicknames:  Beatrix 'Trixie' Swanson
Squad Designation:  DotHack
Sexuality:  Bisexual
Nationality:  American, New York born and raised

Physical Description:  Beatrix is a tall, pale woman, having spent the majority of her youth behind a computer screen.  Barring her arms and legs cybernetic replacements that could have come right out of Deus Ex Human Revolution, she's an even one hundred and forty five pounds at about six foot two inches of lean, tough muscle, a consequence from having heavy metal slowing her down these days.  34D sized breasts, slender, well shaped hips, soft but flat firm stomach, smooth skin, piercing gray eyes, slicked back raven black hair, and at least one tattoo done in Chinese letters down her slightly scarred back that bears the names of her now dead family, which included her brother and a single mother.  Has since gotten her ears, nose, and clit pierced and has considered getting a second tattoo, but hasn't decided on a location yet or what she wants.

She prefers to wear a lot of long, skintight jeans and long sleeve shirts to show off her figure, but at the same time to cover up her cybernetic limbs.  As much as they've allowed her to live a normal life again, she also hates the constant reminder of what they represent and how she got them in the first place.  Has a preference for going without a bra or underwear these days, for easy access anytime she gets lucky, but has been known to go clubbing in the occasional skimpy dress, although a couple shots of hard alcohol are required first.  Nothing in her wardrobe is a particular shade of blue however, due to personal reasons that can be seen anytime you look at her arms and legs.
Personality:  Before Drazer and his warband destroyed her life, Beatrix was your typical, shy computer nerd.  She might not of had the nerdy glasses or knee high socks, but she was normally much more comfortable dealing with the world behind the screen of a computer.  Having been going for a major in computer sciences, she was on the fast track to success since she was a devoted, dedicated worker, passionate about what she did, and she had a wonderful family that she cherished quite a bit despite her mother having raised her and her brother alone.  Then they made the mistake of visiting China, Hong Kong to be precise.  After the smoke cleared and rescue teams pulled out what was left of her, Beatrix had essentially died for all intents and purposes.

No longer the happy, somewhat isolated young woman she'd been, Trixie had seen Hell first hand and had come out the worst for it.  Nightmares were nearly nightly, moments of extreme panic and rage were a regular occurrence as certain things set her off for one reason or another, and that was just her emotional baggage.  Having to contend with being part machine herself offered its own set of challenges, but despite being unable to look at her metal limbs without feeling some measure of resentment, self loathing, and hatred for the ones responsible, Trixie has had one good thing come out of the ordeal.  She's no longer shy or introverted.  She still has moments where she's emotionally screwed beyond all reason, becoming difficult to contend with, but as part of a team, the worst you'd have to worry about is a cutting wit and the sarcastic bite of someone that doesn't do bullshit.  Just don't mention religion to her, because as far as she's concerned, no god, goddess, or otherwise could possibly let the things that has happened stand, if they ever existed in the first place.  Having once been a practicing Christian herself, she's long since given up the idea that God is real after what she's endured, and who could blame her?
Personal Skills:  Real good with computers due to her studies.  Despite being a boring introverted woman before the incident, Trixie used to enjoy the occasional family camping trip down in Alabama where a close uncle, and her only family she's got left that she regularly talks to, still lives with his wife and three girls.  So she has some basic survival training, and while she hadn't enjoyed it at the time, her mother had insisted in having her kids being able to defend themselves so Beatrix has two years of self defense training under her belt as a consequence.  Mixed martial arts was her go to.  And because most every vehicle has some kind of computer interface in its dashboard these days, Beatrix is able to pilot everything with some capability and skill, although she's no professional race car driver or anything.
Biography/History:  It was 9/11 all over again, the day the aliens came.  Trixie can tell you what she had for breakfast that day, let alone what she was doing when the prison ship parked its heavy ass above their little blue planet.  She'd been finishing up an English Lit class her senior year when the announcement was made, telling everyone the impossible had just become reality as they were told to assemble in the school gym as history was made.  Of course, history soon took a bloody turn, but once things settled down somewhat, Trixie was far more fascinated by the arrival of their extraterrestrial neighbors than appalled or afraid of them.  She had always wanted to meet an alien, it was ironically why she was so big into computers, having always had a love for Star Wars, Star Trek and anything else that had humanity coming together to explore the stars, seeking out new life.  And now that life, while not the shining example of civilization she had hoped for, was in their backyard.  It just meant they were just as 'human' as they were, which intrigued the young woman quite a bit although actually talking to an alien was a little difficult for her.  She had trouble talking to normal people though, so that was no surprise.

Having come from a relatively upper class family, her mother having been successful in business even after the aliens landed, (she actually did better once things settled down because she had a much larger market for construction purposes and housing the suddenly increased population), she and her brother Tom were usually invited to go with Martha Swanson anytime she had to travel overseas for a business related trip.  Such was the case when they went to see Hong Kong, to help get some construction issues sorted out with the locals, both human and otherwise.  Everything was going fine, they had been having a fun time, and despite it being the middle of summer, it had been nearly perfect weather when a group of Drazer's minions hit the city like a swarm of locusts.  While hardly the first place they'd hit, no one had expected the first of many shots to ring out when they did as the street Beatrix was one became a massacre.  To call it a warzone would have entailed that the other side stood a chance, which it didn't because Drazer's forces were interested in hitting every soft target they could find.  As cowardly as they were, the effectiveness of their methods couldn't be disputed as Trixie learned first hand as everyone around her starting screaming and running as fast as possible.  She stood perfectly still as a statue, paralyzed by not just her fear, but an unearthly blue glow that had a source, which came in the form of a scantily clad blue skinned alien woman.

Alura as she found out, liked to make people watch as she tore apart their loved ones.  Since she hadn't moved when the shooting started, Martha and Tom had tried to drag her along, only to be caught by Alura and her people.  While she wasn't in her 'care' for long, Trixie learned first hand just how cruel and harsh the galaxy was as she endured nothing less than a living Hell in the short time she was in Alura's grasp.  Two hours, two hours of watching this sensual specimen torture and rape her mother and brother, in that order since Alura had a thing for healthy young men before peeling their skin off, before she turned her attention on Trixie last once Tom had finally expired.  A simple wave of her hand, and she was down a right arm.  The pain was enormous, far more than she had ever experienced before, but she didn't pass out, but by God did she want to.  But Alura kept her conscious somehow, either through a trick of her ability or be because she wasn't that fortunate, Beatrix hasn't figured it out to this day, she only knows that when the cavalry arrived and drove back her tormentor, it was far too late to save her or her family.

Fast forward three years of psychiatric and physical therapy, a lot more alcohol fueled sleep, and some hard partying later, and you have Trixie as you can see her now.  Having hacked her way into one database she shouldn't have in her quest to find and kill Alura, it didn't take long for the police to find her and throw away the key, where she was summarily recruited into the First Operations team.  While she might not be the most mentally sound person around, she's far better than what she used to be.  She just has a chip on her shoulder, but then again, who wouldn't?

Powers:  Technological Integration - While she's no DC Cyborg, due to some strange interaction between her cybernetics and the radiation wave that struck her as it did everyone else, Beatrix has learned some rudimentary ability in fusing herself to any computer, data terminal, and control board she's come into contact with.  She has shown exemplary ability in bypassing virtually any firewall, security protocol, and measure that has been thrown at her because she becomes akin to a living, sentient virus anytime she's 'jacked in'.  As a consequence however, her physical body is still vulnerable to harm since she only fuses a small part of her fingers into whatever she's trying to hack, and while she can be forcibly removed if the need arises, it leaves her dizzy and disoriented for a while.  For easy hack jobs though, she prefers to go the old fashion method of using a keyboard and mouse, which was why she got caught in the first place.  Even as a 'virus', she can still be defeated, but it would take something pretty hard to manage it when she's on her game.  But because she's still human, she's liable to the same shortcomings and limitations, such as mental and physical exhaustion, overconfidence, or one of her PTSD triggers of which she still has a few.

Additional Notes:  PTSD triggers include the same shade of pale blue as Alura's skin, and her psychic based powers that creates a physical manifestation of blue dust motes that flicker and spark across whatever she's 'grabbed' with her mind.  It was a very unique shade of blue, so chances of it being activated are pretty unlikely, but not impossible.  Others are the sights of someone having their skinned peeled off, (so no Predator movies in her presence thank you,) the thick smell of burning rubber and plastic, and the sounds of frantic fleeing/horn blaring will sometimes be enough to do it.  More commonplace triggers can be something as simple as staring at her family pictures for too long, which she has kept despite how painful it is to drag out the albums from her computer's hard drive, to being around open flames.  Lit cigarettes don't bother her, but a lighter's flame would make her flash back to that day for a few seconds.  And while not a trigger, she cannot stand people that preach about their religion.  Oh she can certainly talk about this god or goddess, but the moment you start trying to tell her to clean up her act or to try and convert her to their way of thinking, she's liable to punch someone in the throat.

Totoro

I like her character. Her powers are the right level of useful with some versatility but still some particular skills and talents. A lot of the worlds vehicles will have onboard computers of some description, so she'd probably be a fairly intuitively skilled driver/pilot, maybe after a little practice. Sounds like she's got a reasonable amount in common with the squad leader character I'll be putting up soon so she'll be able to fit in there. The only thing I'd say is to name a few of her key PTSD triggers just so I/other players know what will effect her. It's fairly easy to figure out but often PTSD is triggered by very minor things that link into the serious events. I'll get around to putting up a character thread soon.

Vergil1989

Alright, I'll include a small list of stuff, as well as a little note about her possible driving and piloting skills.  Thanks Sun and see ya soon!

I am curious about one thing though, how did America handle the aliens?  I know everyone's more or less working together, but I wasn't sure what the story was so I tried to avoid being too specific.

Totoro

I didn't want to spend all of eternity figuring out exactly how each nation handled it all. I'd say initially a great deal of panic and uncertainty, and then agreeing to Russia's nuclear response when the mass violence initially broke out. Post the initial incident they were pretty straight into negotiation and looking for peaceful resolutions/ways to move forward. So they shelter a fair few of the aliens who are happy to join the alliance between the humans and aliens and they're sort of the unofficial home of the United Front mostly because of their military presence. They'd be the leaders in negotiations with peaceful or non peaceful aliens, although their country is also him to the H.F.E semi-terrorist group so they have a lot of human problems close to home too. Anything in particular about how American acted you wanted to know? I'd say mostly peacefully and positively while quietly waging a war with people like the Warband until now when they're firm allies with most aliens apart from those that seperate themselves and the ones causing war they've felt it's better for morale to let the war be seen so people see their 'Heros'.

Chreestafer

I had another superhero style game going on where they were in a sort of high school.  The character i had there might be cool for me to integrate into this game. Is there a minimum character age limit for us to be in the squad? I can make him older, but the character of use is 17, like I said though, I can make him older.

His concept is a kid who was experimented on, now has psychic abilities like the ability to move things and what not.  But his powers were to strong for him and he would berserk and blackout.  When he would wake he's find devastation ultimately affecting his mood and his abilities.  In the end he earned the code name blackout due to this.

Think it's something i can run with?
Ons and Offs
F-List

Totoro

18 years old to operate in the squad, military rules. So not a big age change really there.

If he's 18 now he would've been 11 at first landing. Operation First Strike experimented on humans, particularly those with signs of latent abilities, so that's definitely a possibility. He'd have been mind wiped by a telepath so he wouldn't really remember much more than a blur of the actual experimentation/what happened to him. It's okay for him to have lost control a few times when he woke up as long as he didn't like... blow apart the entire building. He could've smashed up a room and hurt a few people. Now he'd have to be at least a bit more stable/in control but he can have a wild/unpredictable side and be heavily affected when things start to get really bad around him.

Sounds good to me.

Vergil1989

No no I understand not spending a ton of time developing stuff like that Sun, I was just wanting a general idea of how things were going and had gone beyond what you had already said, so that's fine what you've provided me with.  I was planning for Trixie to be alright with aliens despite what was done to her and all, except of course for Alura, who may or may not be an asari knock off from Mass Effect lol, regardless of your response to my question, I was just curious how the rest of the USA would have handled them was all.  But I hoped that would be the case since we ARE supposed to be the land of the free and the brave and all that, although that might change depending on who gets elected as president, but that's a whole other ball of wax I won't get into here.  Needless to say though, I ain't wasting my time on either candidate.  They could hire a baboon to do a better job though is all I'll say.