News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

If you can't say something good...

Started by Maeven, July 27, 2009, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maeven

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires. -- Khalil Gibran

Remember when your elders used to say to you, ‘If you can’t say something good, don’t say anything at all’? Well, mine did, at least, but unfortunately for me, or, perhaps for those that inspired this post (my workplace), other people’s elders never mentioned this, or if they did, it’s been long since buried with other bits of advice that never get followed.

It is, of course, sometimes difficult to find the silver lining, but I find it terribly exhausting to be around those who consistently point out the worst in everyone and everything around them.

Instead of looking back and identifying the problem, why not look forward and identity the solution?

I’m beginning to think that some are incapable of it.

They’ve become so obsessed with placing blame that they begin to find their solace in finding faults with others. They make themselves feel better via the criticism and destruction of another.

It must be an awfully lonely place to be. Finding fault with the world and none with oneself. A man (or woman) on an island with no hope to guide him.

I’d rather be surrounded by mediocrity and be content than be alone at the top looking down with scorn on the rest of the world. I’d rather find my solace by recognizing my own faults in others and joining alongside them to better us as a whole.  I’d rather trust in a friend and ask for help when I can’t seem to find the strength to overcome what burdens me.

The world is a much brighter place when you can look upon a stranger and see in him his potential as a friend than when that same stranger's glance waters the seeds of doubt.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Paradox

Unfortunately, the modern work environment is often riddled with that sort of thing, most notably in the office place; trust me, you aren't alone in the way you feel.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Misery

So right, what I see all the time, is those simply to prefer to find the fault in others only to make themselves look better.  There is much less working together and driving to whatever solution is needed.
“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Beguile's Mistress

If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.  This works for me if you're going to tell me I'm stupid because I got it wrong.  What doesn't work is walking away without saying anything because you don't want to take the time to tell me:  "I see that isn't working for you.  I was thinking maybe..."