News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Put Shorthand & Chat Speak In The Corner!

Started by Marguerite, June 25, 2009, 10:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I knew 'effing', but I always spelled it 'f-ing' (which is where I'm sure it came from).  But - 'effing and blinding'?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quote from: Haibane on June 27, 2009, 06:34:38 PM
This seems to have been a hot topic and the blog entry has spiralled. Perhaps the Admins should look again at leetspeak and see if there is a strong desire among members to officially ban it in the OOC forums. I suspect a huge majority would support the move.

Haibane needs a rules refresher, it seems, or simply to reread the first post. :)

Quote from: Marguerite on June 25, 2009, 10:16:28 PM
Rule number nine: This is an English forum, and a literary one. Use full words when typing, do not type in "Internet Shorthand" - spell out 'you', 'are', 'too', 'be'. 'for', and so on. If you post something in a foreign language and someone asks you to translate, please do so.

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Paradox

Seriously though, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of this. I suppose it's a bit biased, but I tend to ignore people who habitually use "lol" or similar devices. It just disappoints me that such language is used on a forum full of writers, regardless of their background or skill with English.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Gunslinger

"Dammit" the gunslinger said and began walking towards the corner.

Haibane

Quote from: Trieste on June 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM
Haibane needs a rules refresher, it seems, or simply to reread the first post. :)
Except Rule #9 isn't enforced. *big cheesy grin*

Hence this thread.

Haibane

EDIT: Or should I say, I don't see evidence of Rule #9 being enforced. It may well be behind the scenes but the use of 'internet shorthand' continues unabated.

Trieste

Well, sure, I mean. We could be iron-fisted about 'lol' all the time, but that would be kinda like trying to micromanage the internet.

Bliss

O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Trieste

I know, I wouldn't want to micromanage the internet, either.

Bliss

Me either. I mean geeze, I don't even have a cybersweeper anymore. It broke trying to keep the corners clean.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Trieste

What did I tell you about poking your head into dirty corners of the internet?

No wonder you have so many weird fetishes.

Desan

And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Marguerite

Quote from: Paradox on June 28, 2009, 01:24:40 PM
Seriously though, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of this. I suppose it's a bit biased, but I tend to ignore people who habitually use "lol" or similar devices. It just disappoints me that such language is used on a forum full of writers, regardless of their background or skill with English.

Thank you Para, maybe it is because I enjoy writing so much I hate to see it turn into LOL and JK.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Majere Dreavan

Quote from: Oniya on June 26, 2009, 11:06:54 AM
Back when I worked as online tech support, we were not allowed to use abbreviations or shorthand.  As a result, I got quite proficient in using substitutions for all the various emoticons and 'chat talk'.  (By the way, Trieste, the bit with the numbers and making letters with typographic symbols is more commonly called 'leet', or '1337', and started out being used by hackers before being adopted by script-kiddies who want to look like they're bad-ass.)  Yes, I recognize and translate seamlessly, but I'm far more likely to use *laughs*, *smiles*, *snickers*, *frowns* etc. for expressing an emotion.  Just me.

And really, is it that much harder to type 'Wow' than 'OMG'?

Hello, I only read these posts because of my own love of all languages. Leet was at one point coders language- Used by hackers and freedom developers abroad. Though now, just as you said oniya, It has been stolen from us them by simple script kids or just chat yackers that want cool points. Now we speak in .nfo to keep things secret. Which I have yet to learn. Such a shame English, I'm going to miss you in 10 years, Maybe less.

DISCLAIMER : I'm not perfect, I never claim to be, But when someone comes to me with how I am doing it wrong, I strive to fix it. In any language.