News:

Main Menu

"Normal"

Started by The Dark Raven, June 15, 2009, 09:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

[Cross-posted from rants, since someone mentioned I should "have a blog"...lol]

I grew up being "different," "abnormal," "weird"...  I was "diagnosed" as "gifted" at age 7.  I was already ostracized at church for being related to my own parents (my whole family were black sheep at that place...and we didn't leave til I was 16).  I was already made fun of at school (which didn't end until I was a junior in high school).

I learned the word "normal" meant every person in the world who hated me because I made them look like idiots because I could read by the time I was 4, and knew French and bits of other languages (heiroglyphic, Greek, Hebrew) by the time I was 8.  I could do all my classwork at school and read a book at the same time and still be bored.  I was punished by teachers for being inquisitive, made fun of for being left-handed...

I was told if I'd only behave and fit in, I'd get friends.  But the only kids my age I could be friends with already made fun of me.  They were the normal people.

So I learned, being an only child, that my friends were older people...like my grandparents...and an old lady who sat by herself at church, and had a walker because she was in her 90s when I was in grade school.  I remember feeling this tough harness around her when I would hug her, and only now realize she is probably the only person I have ever known to be a genuine article of the corsetted age.  Her name was Mrs. Glenn.  I still have a picture of her on my dresser.  She was one of the very few who saw me through the hurting and misunderstanding that the kids my age had of me.

But then again...neither was she typical...normal...

Those of us who aren't that nice "normal" ideal society wants get brushed aside by the society...because we don't conform.  In that "abnormal" label we've gotten, we've learned to embrace who we really are, in a world of people who will never know themselves...

Please...if you are "normal"...don't say "normal" society does this or that...because it excludes the people you exclude as "abnormal".  We live in this world too, and love it just as much as you.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Gunslinger

Kids can be mean.
lily want a hug?

Haibane

Kids only hurt other kids because they have no idea what they are doing.

When they mature they gain a conscience and an understanding and a wisdom. Then they stop being nasty.

However, if they don't. Avoid them.

adventurer

Lilly,

in many ways I grew up as outsider too. And only very later discovered the riches in this situation. I did read "The Outsider" from Colin Wilson, then learned that bestseller author Eric van Lustbader was inspired by it too and had the same life experience in his early years.

Please surprise us with your gifts, talents and potentials. Whatever they may be,

Hugs and best wishes,

Al.

"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Mystic Dragon

Normal is a misnomer. I was also a book reader in school, but I also was highly athletic and would rather play. None of that made me more palatable to other students or my teachers, except for the brilliant and crazy ones.

"Normal" is just a way for people to say "You don't do anything that bothers me or makes me feel inferior." Take it from a professional people pleaser- it's an unattainable and undesirable goal. Live the difference- if there is a God/dess, they surely aren't saying "I want everyone to be uniformly the same."
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
"In our world, all the Redheads have chainsaws"
"Nightmares never last. One day you wake up and they're gone"

Treena

lily i had the same issues as you in school that is why i had to leave my school on top of that i had other things going on so i went and got my GED but i know how it is and so you know the normal people are realy just as freaky on the inside as we are on the outside. just think of some of the well known serial killers all thier neighbors though that they were just quiet normal people till they snapped.

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

sloc

I find it terribly sad that we judge people that seem different from us, instead of celebrating those differences.
Personally i believe friends have only to resemble each other in their hearts.

I hope you have found people to whom knowing you it's both a joy and a privilege :)
Minds, like parachutes, work best when open
- anonymous

Ons and Offs
Rabbit Hole

Moonhare

I wanted to say thank you, from a fellow abnormal.

Bliss

We're all normal; we just aren't average. :)
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Chiya

I was diagnosed with metal retardation as a toddler...and that grew into a diagnosis of child psychosis when I was nine. I was mercilessly hounded by kids throughout the many schools I was put into as my Mother and Father played tug of war with me, and I was eventually sent from my mother's home at age 10 because the doctors said I was 'dangerous' to infants and toddlers. Apparently I was 'too detached' when I described my unborn brother as 'the child'....seemed reasonable to me, as I did not know whether it was a boy or girl.
Apparently it was an indication I would be a murderer.
They told her I would never be normal.
When I was 13 she sent me away for the last time. I never saw her again. It took them nearly a year to find me to tell me she was dead.
School was hell.
Father and his parents were hell.
Father, being a fundamentalist Christian, did all he could to mold me to be 'normal', and this included daily beatings and psychological abuse...
Nothing worked.
I was treated like a pariah everywhere I went.
No matter how hard I tried, I could not fit in.
I never spoke to my father again.

When I was 25, I shaved my head into a topknot, and felt myself for the first time.
When I was 28 I got my first piercing, my septum, and my first tattoo.
When I was 30, I was diagnosed with high functioning autism...

Over the years since then I have come into my own, and it is nothing like 'normal'...
I don't look normal, I don't act normal, and I don't feel normal.

I am a card carrying freak, and love it.
Weirdos of the world, unite!
...Fingertips so gently on my skin...
...I'm underwater...
...I feel The Flood begin...

Ons and offs

Mystic

normal
A   noun
   1    convention, normal, pattern, rule, formula
      something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors"
      Category Tree:
psychological feature
╚cognition; knowledge; noesis
╚practice
╚convention, normal, pattern, rule, formula
╚code of conduct; code of behavior
╚mores
B   adjective
   1    normal
      conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal; "serve wine at normal room temperature"; "normal diplomatic relations"; "normal working hours"; "normal word order"; "normal curiosity"; "the normal course o

2    normal
      being approximately average or within certain limits in e.g. intelligence and development; "a perfectly normal child"; "of normal intelligence"; "the most normal person I've ever met"

3    normal
      in accordance with scientific laws

4    normal
      forming a right angle

and the end conclusion is really no one normal, and nothings normal and nothing should really be normal, other wise there's something going on, and as long as you are you and enjoy being who you are, than that's all that matters most
Nakisou na kao o shite eien no sayonara
There is a place within the mind
Where a secret realm transcends reality.

Ons and Offs