News:

Main Menu

Crying Wolf

Started by Krysia, May 19, 2009, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia

(This has no real process of thought, just ideas up in text.)

There has been this trend I've noticed on the world with in the computer. Now that communication is the next best thing to eating, there has been a lot of people who cry out for attention. Where is the line between just crying out for attention and seeking friendly advice?

Before the great communication age, people were limited to letters, who was in there town, phone calls and people who were paid to give advice. It was after all your 50 dollars a session to have them tell you, you were a bit disturbed in the head. Oh and to hand out pills when “they” thought it was necessary.

You could ask a neighbor for advice. This was of course when the only thing you could do was go out and play with your friends while your parents hung out at the local corner talking gossip about what everyone else is doing. But then you'd most likely become next weeks grape vine topic. And when I say play with your friends, I mean play with your friends. There was no computers and no video game systems (wow I just aged myself). Just a T.V, radio and imagination! Something people lack recently.

I remember having an Atari 2600 and playing pac-man with my mother, and I just aged myself again. I also remember when it broke it was the only one I got. None of this spoiled rotten child throwing a temper tantrum until mommy or daddy went to buy me a new 360. And had to do real things like playing outside in the sun! My favorite thing was to go roller skating, yes roller skating, not in lining. We didn't have such things as in lines when I was growing up. We had 4 wheel death traps and god it was fun!

Understand everyone needs a bit of help/advice in their lives, but when does that become crying out for attention? With the communication age people have a lot more outlets to seek out this advice. New friends are made via the Internet these days.

But what happens when you find the person who is seeking such things just to make themselves look better? The type of person who perpetually needs a pat on the back every hour on the hour. When does the line from friendly advice to annoyance happen?

Just like the boy who cried wolf there will come a time that those people who go “awe” for you will stop saying it. The more it's done the more likely it is that those people you relied on for the all mighty “awe” turn there backs, not because they aren't your friends, but because they don't want to hear the cry for help. And thus when you truly need someone to fight off the big bad wolf, no one will come to your rescue.

When I was growing up kids were relentless, if you had a problem and started to cry or get emotional over it, they'd laugh and pick on you. Which in all essence made you a stronger person and you were forced to deal with your own problems. Now a days kids have this 'no ones left behind' tactic teachers and parents use. What the hell is this shit!?! Last winners? Delayed success? Excuse me? Why are we needing to sugar coat the fact most of our kids now are fuck ups? It's no wonder most of them won't go into the work force and find real jobs. They never heard the phrase, “you suck” before from anyone and when they go find jobs they become over emotional bastards over the fact their potential employer just told them that being in the Fuzz Therapy club wasn't a valid job skill. (Note: Random club name, I have no clue what type of clubs kids have today.)

But this doesn't just fit for most of our kids, it works for a lot of adults in this world. A lot of them have never been told to shove it and that they need to seek medical help.

And with this comes the trend of over emotional people we like to label Emos. Usually only angsty teens get this label, but I've seen enough of these basket case older people around it's not funny. Most of them don't wear or look like your typical Emo though, so it's harder to peg them then the teens. They could be dancers, singers, poets, artist, or even your everyday person looking for a captain save-a-hoe.

It has become incredibly hard now a days to weed out the people who need real help and people who just cry wolf for attention. When does the friendly hand outs have to stop? When is it time to just tell these overly emotional attention grubbing people to shut the fuck up and get a new routine?!?

I know that this blog sounds mean, but honestly people who sit there begging for attention annoy me to no end. There has to be something better in the day to hold their attention other then sitting there with a smug look on there faces once they get the attention. It isn't meant to point out anyone it's a general observation. We still are allowed to have our own opinions correct? It hasn't been taken away from us in this politically correct world, has it? (Note: When ever I hear pc I always think of personal computer.)

Denis Leary said it best when he did his skit about being a psychiatrist. Line up, walk in, look at the doctor and have him say, “Shut the fuck up next!” Repeat said process until desired results are achieved. 

Just some food for thought here on a few of the definitions I found on Urban Dictionary to explain emo to people.

Emo: (1)
Like a Goth, only much less dark and much more Harry Potter.

Emo: (2)
A group of white, mostly middle-class well-off kids who find imperfections in there life and create a ridiculous, depressing melodrama around each one. They often take anti-depressants, even though the majority don't need them. They need to wake up and deal with life like everyone else instead of wallowing in their imaginary quagmire of torment.

Emo: (3)
Normally a 15-17 year old teenager. Considers themselves to be much more in touch with their emotions than anyone else; whereas they really just feel sorry for themselves. Most emo's will claim to be depressed, or simply misunderstood. They think they are unique, and fail to realize that they actually look like half the teenage population of south england. You can recognize an emo by looking for these general characteristics:

SKINNY JEANS (both boys and girls) The tighter the better. If an emo can hardly walk because of their jeans, then they've reached optimum emo status.
STRIPEY JUMPERS. Normally black and gray. If you're a boy, this should again be worn as tightly as possible. Breathing comfortably is a luxury you may have to sacrifice.
TATTY CONVERSE. Usually drawn on, as most emo's regard themselves as artists.
BLACK LONG HAIR COVERING ONE SIDE OF YOUR FACE. Vision can be compromised for style as an emo. Try and make it as greasy as possible.

Finally, emo's MUST look down on everyone else, accuse them of being uncreative, judgmental, and the sole cause of their 'depression'. If you're a hardcore emo you'll cut yourself occasionally. If you're not, then you at least have to pretend you do.

Oniya

This is such a timely blog for me.  My housemate is currently giving herself and me an ulcer with this behavior.  Every little thing is a crisis, to the point where I don't know if the OH-HH-HH!!! is coming from stretching too far or from severe abdominal pain.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Pixilicious

Bravo, Krysia!  I can think of someone that I know that would benefit from reading this blog! ;)
Be a girl with a mind.  A woman with attitude. A lady with class

Gunslinger

Well written, nice job.

I think the cry wolf phenomenon has something to do with the needy culture of North America. Everyone wants to be a rock star, and a movie god. Everyone wants attention. The American dream is such a nightmare, and it is being drilled in to us every day. We are all promised fame and fortune, from everything you hear on the radio, songs and TV. But when we don't get famous, we 'cry wolf'. To 'cry wolf' is an easy and a quick way to get a piece of that dream. That's what I think anyway. Good work on the blog, I love it.

Moebus57

Nicely Said and Spot On.  Wow accountability! what an interesting concept? almost un-American these days.
If you're looking for my O's no need. I don't have any Offs persay.  That allows lots and lots of maneuver room.

SleepyWei

Quote from: Raptor on July 14, 2009, 03:53:44 PM
Nicely Said and Spot On.  Wow accountability! what an interesting concept? almost un-American these days.

More like a bastardized version of the 'American Dream'. Lots of idiots these days can't seem to wrap around the fact that they are guaranteed the opportunity for greatness, not actually having it delivered to you on a silver platter.

Zaer Darkwail

*claps*

Nice blog :). Suits very well present young people who do not suffer REAL hardships. Life is after all suffering and enduring. But also a sad side effect from 'cry wolf' is that because depression is so 'common thing' the real cases do not get any help. Then depression blows up on government's face when real depressed youth go to school to shoot people and then kill themselves. Or, is school shooting a final act to those why cry wolf? Hmmm.....

Anycase sad that Finland is one top countries in suicide case lists :(. Tells quite well how fucked up my country is in mental medical care.

Enmuro

The way I understood it, emo was a response to the “Shut the **** up" school of thought. While I tend to agree that punching emo kids sould help them that's probably just because I am a little old school myself. Still, things probably aren't as bad as we think they are. The emo kids, or adults, will cry wolf to get attention and as you say people will start ignoring them. However, emos aren't learning impaired. Eventually they realize they have to do something to be worthy of attention or else most of them will die off after a life of being unloved :) .

Jag

Kind of reminds me of an email my mom sent me a while ago:

QuoteSchool 1960 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1960 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

200 7 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra state funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.

1960 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug violati o ns. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.

1960 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. US Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's Eng li sh teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. teams investigate paren ts, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in f ede ral prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Zaer Darkwail

Heh, indeed it seems nowadays. But it is not school only but almost every field of life. In past folks did not get hyped up if something happened, now if even minor thing happens they blow it up into crisis. Sometimes the new laws are warranted but some cases they do not make any sense.

Lycan Queen

I agree that things are getting out of hand for kids, but I know from personal experience that the other extreme is no better.

For the summers of my high school career, I participated in one of these second chance programs called Upward Bound. It's primary function was to help kids who come from poor homes and bad backgrounds learn better study habits, help them on subjects giving them trouble, and prepare them for college. Now, those were the best four summers of my life, and the thought of going back was one of the main reasons I didn't give up on everything. I met kids who were brilliant, yet they came from families and schools that essentially told them they would never amount to anything in their lives.

One really sweet boy who wrote poetry no goes to a big college for his other passion, football.

My roomate my first year there was homeless for the large portion of the time I knew her. Now she got $50,000 in scholarships and is going to college as well.

In my own school, a girl with a terrible family was told by the principal to her face that she was better off dropping out because she would never graduate and never amount to anything.

These programs are made with the best intentions, and while I feel in some ways we've gone too far, in others we haven't gone far enough. The big problem is that kids aren't on a level playing field, but we don't need to hold each other's hands and do everything for them.

Like most things in life, there needs to be a balance between giving help and letting people help themselves.

Dakota

Being a former self harmer i should probably keep my opinions to myself here but what the hell, no i was never a whiney little emo seeking attention, I had genuine issues, issues that i never got help with, I struggeled not only to fight these issues but also to keep it all hidden, and yes i had my reasons for wanting to keep it hidden, mainly dear at what others would think, eventually I was approached by one of only a few people who new, he said he new a trainee psychologist he new was doing a collage paper on people like me and wanted a few people to interview, I agreed and during the course of the hour or so i spent taking to him i guess i just realised what the fuck am i doing.
So please just try not to judge everyone, some of  those kids could be concealing genuine problems, 

Krysia

This blog wasn't about people who can't help what or who they are. It's about the people who do it intentionally to get the attention.

I know many kids who are gifted and come from poor families, myself included, who didn't get the chance at all. Mine didn't come until I went to college. My oldest nephew was diagnosed ADD and ADHD. His mother cared but didn't, if that makes sense. She put him in "Special" schools for his "Condition". All the while it made my nephew feel like he was less then human.

My whole point about this was about the ones who know what they are doing to get the perpetual pat on the back or they can't make it through the day. Those are the people this blog is about.

I understand everyone has issues in their life, we all do. Some of us are just more quiet and don't want to bother others with their problems. The question I posed in this blog was what happens when the friendly pats on the back wear out? Will people learn from there actions or not? I am not attacking anyone in this blog as I said at the very top of it, it was just random thoughts put on paper or well print I should say. That and I found the definitions of the words humorous.

I thank each and everyone who has taken the time to read this blog.

Dakota

Sorry krys i wasn't trying to have a go, its been one of them days and i guess i still get touchy about stuff like that.