Netflix' One Piece Show - Thoughts?

Started by Norwegian One, June 19, 2023, 11:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RperSeeker69

So my overall opinion of the series was it was good though rushed at times. They did have to like splurge together certain storylines but yeah I think the cast did a rather good job pulling off animated characters. They also did a good job making you feel for the characters and their individual and than joint storylines. It really had this comradery and building blocks for future storylines. For a shipper though one should probably know that there isn't going to be any romantic storylines in there between the main crew and such, yes, those who actually ship Zoro and Nami it is not happening even if all the evidence is there.

Jag

Quote from: PrestaDGTation on February 27, 2024, 06:58:57 PMAnd Buggy. BUGGY. If the animated version of this failing-upward fool could see his life-action adaptation, he'd weep for joy! They gave the bastard swagger! They made Buggy. Sexy.

Buggy is my favorite in the anime/manga and I loved him just as much in the live action. They did Buggy good. I also like that they gave him more time too. Granted, his time beyond his main episode was short and mostly for comedic effect, but they did it well and it fit in. I loved his exit. It was very on brand for Buggy. He complied, played along (though much to the annoyance of everyone involved), and then promptly returned to the selfish bastard he is. >.< A clear reminder that Buggy is a bad guy and always in it for himself.

I hope they make good use of him in Season Two. I'd love to start seeing him fail-upwards live action too.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Seafea

I've seen the first couple of episodes, and I've liked what I've seen. It does things differently, which is good because otherwise it would just be inferior One Piece.

It does honestly feel like Oda redoing the East Blue arc to make everything feel more interconnected. I like that it seems like Garp is going to take the place of Smoker at Lougetown. It feels a lot more thematically better.

But, One Piece is too cartoony to look good in live action. The sets look amazing, but when it comes time to do things like Luffy's stretching, you see why One Piece needs to be animated

Jag

Quote from: Seafea on March 23, 2024, 09:14:35 PMBut, One Piece is too cartoony to look good in live action. The sets look amazing, but when it comes time to do things like Luffy's stretching, you see why One Piece needs to be animated
A friend and I were talking about that. East Blue stuff was crazy, but it wasn't too insane. Much of it can, and were, translated decently well into live action...but once they hit the Grand Line...oh boy. I feel like that's going to be the real test to determine if the Live Action will get anymore seasons. 

Chopper, I feel, will be a big make it or break it for the series staying live action. If Chopper is done poorly, I don't see it continuing. I can easily see Chopper being live action nightmare fuel. Same with Robin. Animated, her Devil Fruit abilities look fine...live action, that has the potential to be horror movie level freaky looking.

Seafea

Quote from: Jag on March 23, 2024, 09:19:53 PMSame with Robin. Animated, her Devil Fruit abilities look fine...live action, that has the potential to be horror movie level freaky looking.
Eh, Robin would actually be the easiest to make look good IMO. Like what, you just gotta CG her arms all over the place? You could do that in the 80's and make it look good.

Now a character that's going to probably be a disaster is Mr. 2....

Jag

For Robin, all I'm imagining is the Goro in the first Mortal Kombat movie and it's terrifying. >.<

I honestly think Mr. 2 has some potential to be brought to live action so long as it is handled appropriately. Bon Clay is probably my second favorite character. I think Rex Wheeler, aka Lady Camden, could nail it. He's a trained ballet dancer, he smashed it on RuPaul's Drag Race season 14, he's super campy, he's very over the top, his makeup is on point, and he has a very strong face structure. I doubt Lady Camden would ever actually appear in a show like One Piece, but I think Bon Clay could be done and done very well.

Norwegian One

I actually think a good solution for Chopper would be to look to Sweet Tooth, and make him a kid with deer characteristics.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.