Lists of questions to new people

Started by Xillen, June 14, 2008, 03:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

I've noticed lately that there are a few people that simply throw an entire list of questions at the new people, usually all A or B questions. I'm not exactly sure if that's the brightest idea, as it seems to lead to the person merelygoing through the list like a multiple choice list, whereas when you only ask a few questions, people will sooner consider them as full questions, and include a reason as to why. Since it's not so much about the questions (well, not about the silly ones at least) as it is about them talking to us, in my humble opinion, it's better to only list a few, and if at a later time you come across the thread with no questions in it, you ask a few more.

Then again, that's just my vision, and I could be completely wrong about it.

Strong Angel

less multiple-choice, more short answer - agreed!

Something creative, something clever, or maybe even something sincere was my goal for responding.  I remember trying to give every question equal attention - I sure didn't want to offend anyone.  I got some responses to my responses and I'm sure my other interrogators would have written back if I didn't get approved so quickly [ie. response is somewhat moot].

I would be genuinely disappointed if my answer to someone's direct question fell by the wayside outside of the intros, but I suppose that goes without saying... to echo Xillen's sentiments, however - the chance to talk and develop a thought and provide evidence of some reasoning, will (if I understand the screening process) be of far greater benefit to them AND (if I understand the state of things and their direction) this community...

... just my 2 humble cents ...
"You often find your destiny on the path you take to avoid it"
     - Chinese Proverb

Intro ~ O & O ~ Wiki

if (! meat.eaten() ) { you.canHave[pudding] = false); }

Xillen

Well, there's nothing against multiple choice in general. People can usually give a reason as to why one or the other. Basically, any question can be answered in a short way, if the why is not included.

However, when someone gives one long list of multiple choice questions, people are less intended to handle each of them as seperate questions, and often just choose one or the other, and I certainly can't blame them.

Greenthorn

I actually agree.  One or two "this or that" question, especially if followed by a "why" is good, but the long lists of 10 "this or that" actually doesn't really create a conversation topic for anyone else to come in and ask about.