News:

Main Menu

Accents in roleplay.

Started by Anteros Vox, September 15, 2014, 06:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anteros Vox

I don't like them, I rather they just describe the country they are from and use my imagination. I guess cause spelling out sound is weird to me personally.  Other the kanji, it would be easier for me to get what someone is trying to say if they didn't write in character accents.

Oreo

I guess it is a preference that one either likes or finds difficult to follow. I have never had any trouble discerning accents, so I find them fun when reading. My mind naturally drifts into feeling the voice. I have the same thing happen when I am reading a canon type book, like a Star Trek novel. William Shatner gets in my head every time. What I read my mind translates into sound.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Drake Valentine

It adds dimension to a character as far as roleplay goes.

If everyone 'talked' normal it would be boring. Diversely is an entertaining and flavorful thing, but to each their own.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

rou

Written dialects bother me. I'm talkin' like all dem thin's like dis. Unless the writer is really effective at doing it accurately, it messes with the voice I have in my head. Tell me the character is speaking a certain way and I'll usually imagine it. If I can't imagine it, I don't think apostrophes are really going to help. The point is it doesn't get across to me the way the writer intends for it to. So it just looks obnoxious and results in the character "sounding" like they have a severe speech problem... And that's only okay if they are meant to have a severe speech problem.

Personal preference.

// A&A: July 17, 2022 //
“succubus angel” — anonymous

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

See? I understood every word, an no hornswaggler's gonna steal my biscuit cutter neither, no sir'ee.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Anteros Vox

Hahaha. That hobo was pretty funny.

But still, if that's your preference cool, its not mine. I think was gets me is past players will do the accents then stop then start again. Or they will spell it differently then they did before. Call it a personal peeve.  Doesn't get annoying though to write dialogue like that though? I don't think I could keep it up after the second post.

Kitsunetsuki

The only time I've ever done an accent of any sort, it was for an anthropomorphic character (lady snow leopard). But, that made sense to me as her mouth was not fully intended for human speech, so....Yeah. There were a lot of rolling r's and v's became more like f's. Things like that, but it didn't take away from the story (in my opinion) as she was self-conscious about her speech & didn't speak much anyway. ;) I don't think I would mess with accents too much, otherwise. Though I haven't really formed an opinion, either way.
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Rogue

Depends. I prefer to say what the accent is.... and then if certain words are different or need to be emphasized as different, I do them.

"Like I'm def a country gal ya'll...."

Which might seem like a mix of accents but that's actually how a bunch of girls will talk in the Florida Panhandle. That was definitely not proper English but it got the point across while keeping it authentic. Any slang also tends to serve as an accent in my opinion. If everything was in Oxford English, it wouldn't feel right. Even if the accent is subtle, an arrangement of words, the use of ya'll versus you all versus you guys versus you's (youse) in the US.... I mean, we don't need to write like it's Huckleberry Finn to write with an accent.

Oreo

Truth there Rogue. Sometimes the turn of phrase can do as much as the accent.

English: I'll meet you at the lake, darling.

Scottish: I'll catch up with ye at the loch, darlin'.

rou

Quote from: Oreo on September 15, 2014, 10:43:17 PM
Truth there Rogue. Sometimes the turn of phrase can do as much as the accent.

English: I'll meet you at the lake, darling.

Scottish: I'll catch up with ye at the loch, darlin'.

Yeah... in my head, I just read the Scottish one as a basic American accent, except with "ye" and "loch". Then I went back and tried again, and I was like, "Okay, what does a Scottish accent sound like?" And it was just a garbled mess for me. Because I personally don't know what Scottish sounds like.

Now, if it was an accent I could imagine more easily? The unusual words would mess with the flow I have in my head.

Maybe if I read dialects more often, I'd get better at it?

Rogue

Quote from: roulette on September 15, 2014, 10:55:30 PM
Yeah... in my head, I just read the Scottish one as a basic American accent, except with "ye" and "loch". Then I went back and tried again, and I was like, "Okay, what does a Scottish accent sound like?" And it was just a garbled mess for me. Because I personally don't know what Scottish sounds like.

Now, if it was an accent I could imagine more easily? The unusual words would mess with the flow I have in my head.

Maybe if I read dialects more often, I'd get better at it?

Mayhaps? It might be a practice thing. I write how I speak. I actually met one of my friends on here and she said I sounded exactly how I type. Because that what I do. I type how I write.

Question, when you read mine with the Ya'll did you hear a southern/texan/old southern accent that you're more familiar with? Also, you admitted you don't know what a Scottish accent sounds like, does that change for accents that you do know? Also, what is a standard American accent?

Drake Valentine

One of the main problems with 'accents' is that they can also offend people if you go about butchering their language. (For those that try to half-arse them and fail miserably.) I find it easier and more flavorful to 'invent' certain accents, although this portion mostly applies to games not of a Modern world setting. Of course they have to be readable and understandable by most- if not all- players involved and/or readers passing by. When I see things constantly of very heavy written accent, it makes me give pause and usually walk away. >.> Especially if I can't understand half of the lingo. The same applies if I see someone slaughtering a tone of voice.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Rogue

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 15, 2014, 11:28:33 PM
One of the main problems with 'accents' is that they can also offend people if you go about butchering their language. (For those that try to half-arse them and fail miserably.) I find it easier and more flavorful to 'invent' certain accents, although this portion mostly applies to games not of a Modern world setting. Of course they have to be readable and understandable by most- if not all- players involved and/or readers passing by. When I see things constantly of very heavy written accent, it makes me give pause and usually walk away. >.> Especially if I can't understand half of the lingo. The same applies if I see someone slaughtering a tone of voice.

Oh yes. This. So much this. I research the hell out of my accents when I choose to use them!

Drake Valentine

Mmm hmm, and discussing accents reminded me of something on a slightly off topic note.

Chrono Cross. There are accents everywhere in that video game. All the accents, accents for days. xD I think Suikoden(sp?) series also did accents. ( I know the third one for a fact did since it was my favorite.) Most traditionally Mass Effect had its own variety of accents as well and some of the Elder Scrolls games. Needless to say, they can be enjoyable if done correctly.

rou

Unique words and phrases and manner of speaking are very nice. I like those. Y'all is a good indicator. And things like darling (or darlin', if the n' is REALLY a must) and other such words can make something feel more unique to the accent. But I don't need the words to be written phonetically for me to understand that they're said differently. Again, unless it's REALLY important, or if you can convey with that one small, unobtrusive difference the differences in the rest of the words.

"Ye might wanna watch where ye put your things. The cats'd like to have a go at that pretty scarf of yours."

Now, I'm not saying MY example is a good example of anything, because I don't know anything about accents. I can't tell you what accent that is except I was going for vaguely UKish, and I'm American and don't know how to depict that. I'd feel like the use of "ye" maybe like, gives the reader a moment to be like, "Oh, this is an accent," and they can slip into that, but it doesn't constantly beat the reader over the head with it? Maybe? Like, enough to remind me, but not enough to try and force feed it to me.

Drake Valentine

I'll quote a part of something I found browsing another site.

QuoteThe next suggestion I'll make to anyone considering an accent is to be aware that there are players out there that will refuse to RP with someone that uses hard-to-read, heavy accents. Since RP is a text environment, it's considered good manners to make your character's speech concise enough that it can be read by the majority. This is why grammar and spelling rules are heavily embraced in RP environments, because otherwise, it may be hard to understand lots of people if they bring their culture's language rules into the English setting, since the rules for different languages are vastly different. It's also important to make sure when portraying an accent, to always stick to the same rules so people's brains can figure out what you're trying to do, and they aren't left guessing to the point that they give up. I'll give some tips on how to tone accents down if you find that other players seem to shy away from you.

Let's use the Scottish accent in this example, mostly because I found an easy example on the internet to work with. You'll see in this example that it was typed phonetically. Personally, I find it hard to read and if I came across a RPer changing English words up to this extent, it's going to cause me to have to concentrate and focus to understand. If it's a chat-heavy environment like an event with many players chat visible, I may find myself walking away from someone typing this way as it's adding to eye strain problems. Here's the example:

Ah've naw really mastered tae technique maeself, ken? Ah hope ah can git a wee bit aye practice en here, likesay. Ah dinnae why ah'm huvin so much fun daein it. Dinnae leave mah poor yankey arse out tae dry.

Here's taking the same example and toning it down by leaving flavor words, using contractions and dropping the g on words ending in "ing". This is what I consider "middle ground" for a typed accent, and easier to understand:

I've no' really mastered the technique m'self, ken? I hope I can get a wee bit more practice in here, like-say. I don' know why I'm havin' so much fun doin' it. Don' leave m'poor yankey arse out t'dry.

You can tone it down a further notch if others find it hard to understand. In this example, I've focused more on the cadence and left the words intact, just using me instead of my and ya instead of you:

I've not really mastered the technique meself, ya know? I hope I can get a wee bit more practice in here, like-say. I don't know why I'm having so much fun doing it. Don't leave me poor yankey arse out to dry.

In this last example, the accent is implied through an emote instead of shown through text. The cadence stayed in place to show the "lilt".:

Tom begins to speak in a Scottish accent, "I haven't really mastered the technique myself. I hope to get a bit more practice in here. I do not know why I'm having so much fun doing it. Don't leave my poor arse out to dry.

Oreo

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 16, 2014, 12:04:38 AM
I'll quote a part of something I found browsing another site.

That gave me a wee bit of a tear in my eye. The first example sounded just like my grandfather. He's been gone for forty years, but I can still hear his voice and accent.

Anteros Vox

QuoteI've no' really mastered the technique m'self, ken? I hope I can get a wee bit more practice in here, like-say. I don' know why I'm havin' so much fun doin' it. Don' leave m'poor yankey arse out t'dry.

This wasn't so bad it was easy to read, and yes I can invision the accent in my head and still am able to read it.

QuoteAh've naw really mastered tae technique maeself, ken? Ah hope ah can git a wee bit aye practice en here, likesay. Ah dinnae why ah'm huvin so much fun daein it. Dinnae leave mah poor yankey arse out tae dry.

This however didn't make sense to me at all. I mean I found myself sitting here and saying a few of those words twice. I am pretty literate (haha) but straining to follow someone's writing could affect my out of character relationship. You have that worry that maybe if you tell them they are going to be butthurt or something. Though I suppose if you have a really good partner they will understand and cromprimise. I have not had luck with past partners and they'd drop from RP if I complained. I guess that also sways my opinion on accents in writing.

Rogue

I wouldn't use the first one honestly. Not only do I have to pause and take a bit longer to read it but I simply don't have the skill. I would use any of the last three though.

Also DevilsHex that's bs that they wouldn't compromise with you. I'd at least put in annotations... (the unobtrusive hover code thing) to make it easier. Especially if I did want the feeling to be "your character doesn't really understand them through the accent but here's the translation do you want enjoy it." most likely I'd tone it down though.

Quote from: roulette on September 15, 2014, 11:49:40 PM
Unique words and phrases and manner of speaking are very nice. I like those. Y'all is a good indicator. And things like darling (or darlin', if the n' is REALLY a must) and other such words can make something feel more unique to the accent. But I don't need the words to be written phonetically for me to understand that they're said differently. Again, unless it's REALLY important, or if you can convey with that one small, unobtrusive difference the differences in the rest of the words.

"Ye might wanna watch where ye put your things. The cats'd like to have a go at that pretty scarf of yours."

Now, I'm not saying MY example is a good example of anything, because I don't know anything about accents. I can't tell you what accent that is except I was going for vaguely UKish, and I'm American and don't know how to depict that. I'd feel like the use of "ye" maybe like, gives the reader a moment to be like, "Oh, this is an accent," and they can slip into that, but it doesn't constantly beat the reader over the head with it? Maybe? Like, enough to remind me, but not enough to try and force feed it to me.

You I'd go with a combination of the last two.  But there's no foul in not understanding accents.

Oreo

I enjoyed the first one because I knew the sounds. If it were an Irish or Italian accent doing the same thing, I would likely not get it. You can go too far.

lilhobbit37

I think the biggest key, and how I would choose between the three:

Does the character I'm talking to understand the accent?

If the answer is no, the character would have a hard time understanding/this is an unfamiliar speech pattern to him/her, then I would use the top one. And as Rogue mentioned, annotate so that the reader would understand.

Why? Because the frustration of trying to understand it is EXACTLY what I was going for.

An example is I had a story that my character spoke only a rudimentary classroom amount of French. My partner's character was fluent. Her character often slipped into French that my character wouldn't understand. I only understood it because I have a slightly larger French understanding (though nothing close to fluent) and my partner would annotate so I could translate for myself, but my character did NOT understand it, and thus, the lack of initial understanding helped me get into that mindset.

If however, my character was supposed to fluently speak French, then distinguishing the French words in the same way would have felt more of an annoyance and less smooth in the story.

Same with an accent, and in that case I would probably pick the second or third, depending on again, the situation, and all that.

Oniya

Quote from: lilhobbit37 on September 18, 2014, 12:25:13 AM
I think the biggest key, and how I would choose between the three:

Does the character I'm talking to understand the accent?

I like this approach.  I was vaguely musing over this thread earlier (the little Oni has not been able to grasp Tom Sawyer due to the accents), and I remembered a scene from one of the James Herriot books.  (For those who don't know the series, it's a narrative account of the 'adventures' of a country vet and the rest of the office that he works from, taking place in the Yorkshire area.)

He's talking to one of his clients, and the man is talking about a condition (I believe affecting his pigs) that his accent renders as 'hairy syphilis', which confuses Dr. Herriot.  This misunderstanding (the condition was actually something called 'erisypelas') is key to the emotional reactions in the text, and would be lost if the author had written it in 'proper English'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Twisted Crow

I feel the urge to put up a "Yo Dawg" quote about writing accents and reading them. :)

Thesunmaid

Well I have a couple of charecters that I will write out the accent...like I have a British punk character and he says bloody hell and bugger off and bollucks a lot. also Iffen and yknow and such.

I also have a french Canadian character who instead of saying this and that says Dis and Dat. so...it all sort of depends on the accent.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Rick345

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on September 15, 2014, 10:36:55 PM
Depends. I prefer to say what the accent is.... and then if certain words are different or need to be emphasized as different, I do them.

"Like I'm def a country gal ya'll...."

Accents are tricky and I often use them as well as local southern colloquialisms.

I would write your example like this: "I'm form up n the country, Y'all..." which is how we would say it in South Alabama.  South Alabama is known locally as LA (Lower Alabama) I hear ther's another LA somewhere out west but I ain't never been thar...

I sometimes use local colloquialisms like: "That dog don't hunt", in the south a good hunting dog is worth its weight in gold and then some, a dog that can't hunt is useless... So if you tell me an idea and I reply, "That dog don't hunt", it means your idea won't work.

Another example would be "Bless your heart", which is a polite southern way of saying your stupid...

Another I use is "Sunday week", which in the south is the way we say "A week from Sunday", maybe we are just a little lazy...

Another one I use is, "Honey them bisques are so good it'd make me slap your Mama.."

When I use the colloquial terms I PM my partner and explain what I'm saying but, I guess the rest of the world often wouldn't have a clue.. And that's probably a bad thing... I only use those kind of terms when I'm playing a Redneck AKA Bubba.

Oreo

QuoteAnother example would be "Bless your heart", which is a polite southern way of saying your stupid...

Has to chuckle. I did not know that. Out west in the other LA that phrase is often used as a compliment, "Bless your heart, you have been so kind." Something you might say to a clerk that has gone out of their way to help you.

Oniya

It actually can be used as a compliment in the South, like when you've helped a little old lady carry groceries to her car.  Context is everything.

Rick345

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2014, 07:16:34 PM
It actually can be used as a compliment in the South, like when you've helped a little old lady carry groceries to her car.  Context is everything.

And the insult is usually "bless his/her heart" or "If she had a brain she'd take it out and play with it"

TaintedAndDelish

I'm OK with a little bit to flavor the text so long as it doesn't muddle it. I absolutely hate it when dialog is so garbled that I have to slow down or reread it.

TheFallaciousOne

In actual, face-to-face roleplay I don't care for them. They detract from the overall experience, at least for me. One instance comes to mind, in a recent excursion in Pathfinder with my brother, his girlfriend, and the gaggle of misfits they had aligned themselves to. He would attempt a goblin accent--a sort of gargly can-of-worms affair, and his GF would perform a squeaky falsetto for her gnome. I found it difficult to concentrate on the messages they were each trying to convey, for only being able to think of how much I would prefer they not speak in in such irritating formats.

However, in PbP format, I would say as long as the intent of the dialogue is being made clear, go for it.

Oniya

One terribly useful thing for PbP posts with accents, foreign languages, and speech that might otherwise be incomprehensible in-character is the [ acronym ] tag.  It works more like a footnote, in my opinion, providing hovertext that clarifies the text that it is applied to.

For example:

[acronym=I don't know why I'm having so much fun doing it.]Ah dinnae why ah'm huvin so much fun daein it.[/acronym]

becomes:
Ah dinnae why ah'm huvin so much fun daein it.

meikle

A lot of people write characters with accents that they don't actually understand and nothing really tanks authenticity more than that huh.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Rogue

This is true. *nods* If you're going to bring in accents at least do your research!

Amazee

I try not to do accents since I'm 99.99% sure that if I did, I would screw it up. I like if my partners have accents, but if they can't do it, I would understand.

Lady Laura

I like words to be spelled normally rather than trying to spell it out to suit an accent especially if the reader is unfamiliar with the accent in question they could read the phonetically spelled words as gibberish or just poor writing.

If a character has an accent than just write that they do.

Other than that I am ok with writing in a way that brings out their accent, like say if the character is a Prussian Vampire or whatever you might write his speech in the way that he might actually speak if he were speaking English, I find that better than mutilating words.

wander

I've done an accent in Pbp in the past, but I realise now it's a bit of a point of contention. I also found myself more than once asking if I was doing the thing right and that I was hopefully not offending anyone... Doing that, looking back, was taking away my enjoyment of the game somewhat than if I just wrote the dialogue as I usually write.

Really sometimes I love the idea of a game but have zero inspiration for a character, until I come up with something that culturally I really like and that effects the rest of the character's backstory growth. But then one of my fave characters of the past was a pirate who spoke pretty much with a cockney accent though I was playing it up and having fun (the guy wasn't a cockney at all, they were a Frenchman living in the Pacific, but I was having fun back then :D) more than going for authenticity. Even then, it wasn't thick and mainly just knocked the 'h's off my dialogue. Silly, I know.

But like Lady Laura mentions, nowadays I am 99% going to show an accent by writing in the post that they happen to have an X accent than try and write it out in their dialogue. Saves on alot of contention, I think.

Dhi

As writers we should endeavor to pay attention to people, and not just their most superficial characteristics.

I co-wrote one story on E where my writing partner was very into phonetically written accents. I was happy to oblige her and write such an accent, but even as I was doing it I was thinking, gosh this is butchered, I'm making such a mess, this will be the time she asks me to just stop already. I would ordinarily never write that way.

Where I normally see phonetically written accents are among beginning writers who are in their special snowflake stage of character development, where there is a desire to make a character quirky and different, instead of making her relatable and genuine. It is easier to write a caricature of a person and harder to communicate who this person truly is. If you are serious about writing, the hard route is the way to go.

To give a character a voice I think it's important to pay attention to their vocabulary, their turns of phrase, their sentence structure and how they think about things. Words are our way of expressing the way thoughts occur to us, and we are so, so different in that regard. Even though a bunch of other posters have largely agreed with my thoughts here, my post is noticeably different from any of them. It's solely my voice that makes it so.

And see, I did not even have to adopt an accent. Would my post have been more interesting if I did? Or would it merely have been harder to read?

wander

That makes me feel a little bad and amateurish for doing it in the past, however I realise we all grow up and I've said more than once that a good character is about making them three-dimensional than relying on stereotype. I totally understand that giving a character their voice comes from more than just how they speak, actions plus who with, why, when and where a person speaks is important also.

Steampunkette

Mai hofercreft eez fool off eelz.
Yes, I am a professional game dev. No I cannot discuss projects I am currently working on. Yes, I would like to discuss games, politics, and general geek culture. Feel free to PM me.

I'm not interested in RP unless I post in a thread about it.

Oniya

I vill not buy zis record.  It is scretched.

wander

Must... not... make... funny... accent... post... >_<

Steampunkette

Yes, I am a professional game dev. No I cannot discuss projects I am currently working on. Yes, I would like to discuss games, politics, and general geek culture. Feel free to PM me.

I'm not interested in RP unless I post in a thread about it.