News:

Main Menu

Happy Memorial Day

Started by RubySlippers, May 30, 2016, 10:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

As the wife of a Coast Guard Captain, daughter of a retired Army Officer and sister and sister-in-law or relative to those serving in every branch of the armed forces I'm proud to honor those men and women defending the free nations of the world many represented here - so go Coast Guard (I'm Biased  O:) ), Air Force, Army, Marines and Navy!

And now some appropriate US Armed Forces themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDF6GQSd7yc

And lets not forget the blood spilled, the sweat and horrors of war met by those who died for the cause of freedom around the world not just here at home. If it weren't for them we would not enjoy the freedom to live as we want today.

Now its a big day here I have to give tours of the Coast Guard facilities and we are having a demonstration of elite rescue units in action. After a tribute to those fallen in the line of duty it should be very inspirational.

Oniya

I saw a lot of memes on Facebook 'thanking veterans' on Memorial day, and then saw a posting by a veteran who was upset that people 'didn't get the point':  Veterans do deserve our thanks, but this is a day for remembering those who have fallen.

So, I spent a few hours in GiMP.

source details
No, I didn't draw this.  The statue base is from a memorial in Mount Olivet cemetery.  The Liberty Crown was cribbed out of a photo on whitehouse.gov, rotated and resized to fit on the statue.  Didn't get rid of all of the 'sky' behind the crown, but I like the effect.  Recoloring the marble memorial to match the crown took most of the time, because marble doesn't select 'cleanly'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

"In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-- Lt. Col. John McCrae (1915)

Thanks to all for their service and their sacrifice.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

There is no way to forget the sacrifice for some of us and each name on each memorial is a symbol of a spouse, parent, sibling or child who found a higher calling.  I like to think they are standing guard still and we are safe for that.

Look up at night and think:  "Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."

Sasquatch421

It's not only those on two legs that have made the greatest sacrifice, those war dogs on four legs deserve a moment as well.

The Dark Raven

I was very proud to see a fellow SCAdian (from the Kingdom of the West, I think) stood guard in full armor at an event over a memorial Empty Chair table set up there.  I say Happy Memorial Day, chivalry is not dead. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Callie Del Noire

It's Memorial Day. I've sitting here with three fingers of Maker's Mark and hold up my glass to those who served who are no longer here. This is there day, for the men and women who paid for the freedom we should savor and protect.
Two men come to mind every year this time.
-CPO Jeremy Seeds. Thanks Chief, you taught me how to be aware of the situation and keep my f-ing head in a swivel. You threw me in the catwalk once, chewed my ass out..and saved my life. Then told me that one day I'd do the same to someone else. I did.. I never fail to think of you when I see a S-3 roaring off the deck and into the sky. Warbird AT forever yo.
-AWC (AW/SW) 'Mongo' Myers. One of three men who made me REALLY feel my 3rd class (arm went numb I swear) crow. The man who told me when I was at my lowest point as a AT3 on my 2nd cruise when he told me something wise. If you don't care about the A$$hole's words 10 years from now.. don't care about them. Without you.. I might not have survived a particular toxic pair of supervisors. You taught me the difference between a supervisor and a shop leader. I still regret not being there for you..

My fellow Air Force, Army, Marines and Navy servicemen, on this of all days.. think of someone you know no longer walks with us who served. Hold up a glass, toast their memory and let it not fade, add it to this post.. We all served for a variety of reasons.. but they gave their all.

Toast.

That is my post on Facebook. Never forget.