BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithium

Quote from: Saric on November 27, 2012, 09:23:04 PM
1. I accounted for it with a ton of armor off that arm
2. I don't see why it has to be 5 tons when it's a knife not a hatchet
3. I'm just going to drop it because it's not worth the idiotic argument
4. The word you want is 'aesthetic'

You could probably benefit from coming off like less of a douche. Just sayin'.

Lady Quixote

actually KaylaM said it would be four tons, I was going off what I knew for melee weapons from my head and didn't have my book around to see what would be a better fit for the weapon.

I can't seem to find my copy of 3050 for armor values, but the 3025 version has ~9 tons of armor for 152 points this should give you slightly less armor than my Marauder and you're 20 tons lighter. 

As for taking tonnage off your arm to accommodate for the knife it unfortunately doesn't work that way, for every ton of armor you get 16 points of armor to distribute across your mech (under base construction rules and not counting ferro fibrous armor).  No one armor location (right arm, or left leg, or right torso...) can have more than double the amount of armor on it compared to it's Internal Structure value (or endo-skeleton, where the the electrical bits and myomer muscle lie).  So while you could remove 4 tons of armor you'd end up with needing to remove 64 points of armor off your mech, usually when pilots do this they evenly distribute the armor removal from each location (head, center torso, right torso, left torso, right arm, left arm, right leg and left leg).

I apologize if it seems like I'm being argumentative but I've been playing Battletech for a 22 some odd years (from pen and paper to video games) and have been well steeped in it's universe and mechanics.  Because of that I am at least a little anal about the rules and being true to the universe.

Matt

Wargtass

Manners people of all ages.

However you put it, the strength of a 'Mech put into the point of a knife will do tremendous damage, no matter how many or big a blade. We are following the basic rules when building our 'Mechs, where a close combat or melee weapon takes up four tons no matter what form it takes. For instance, a single blade would still require its fair share of structure to keep in place. Ergo, it fills the game's four tons of melee weapons. We implement this balance to in turn bring balance to our lances (and to our rules-worshiping brains). It's as simple as that and I'm not going to start making exceptions.
O/O

Saric

Quote from: Lithium on November 27, 2012, 09:43:35 PM
You could probably benefit from coming off like less of a douche. Just sayin'.

Sorry but when I say it's not a hatchet it's frustrating to have people say 'that won't work because... hatchet!'

Quote from: mvo33 on November 27, 2012, 09:53:51 PM
actually KaylaM said it would be four tons, I was going off what I knew for melee weapons from my head and didn't have my book around to see what would be a better fit for the weapon.

I can't seem to find my copy of 3050 for armor values, but the 3025 version has ~9 tons of armor for 152 points this should give you slightly less armor than my Marauder and you're 20 tons lighter. 

As for taking tonnage off your arm to accommodate for the knife it unfortunately doesn't work that way, for every ton of armor you get 16 points of armor to distribute across your mech (under base construction rules and not counting ferro fibrous armor).  No one armor location (right arm, or left leg, or right torso...) can have more than double the amount of armor on it compared to it's Internal Structure value (or endo-skeleton, where the the electrical bits and myomer muscle lie).  So while you could remove 4 tons of armor you'd end up with needing to remove 64 points of armor off your mech, usually when pilots do this they evenly distribute the armor removal from each location (head, center torso, right torso, left torso, right arm, left arm, right leg and left leg).

I apologize if it seems like I'm being argumentative but I've been playing Battletech for a 22 some odd years (from pen and paper to video games) and have been well steeped in it's universe and mechanics.  Because of that I am at least a little anal about the rules and being true to the universe.

Are you saying the Griffin has 9 tons of armor? Because I'm not sure what you mean by the 'it' there.

If I remove all 16 points from one arm then I've removed one ton from that arm, seems simple enough to me.

Regardless I've dropped the knife, please drop the argument.

Quote from: Wargtass on November 27, 2012, 09:59:02 PM
Manners people of all ages.

However you put it, the strength of a 'Mech put into the point of a knife will do tremendous damage, no matter how many or big a blade. We are following the basic rules when building our 'Mechs, where a close combat or melee weapon takes up four tons no matter what form it takes. For instance, a single blade would still require its fair share of structure to keep in place. Ergo, it fills the game's four tons of melee weapons. We implement this balance to in turn bring balance to our lances (and to our rules-worshiping brains). It's as simple as that and I'm not going to start making exceptions.

Ok now this I can understand. Everybody kept going on about how the hatchet was 5 tons and I didn't have enough. I said I've never played the pnp game, I didn't know about the 4 ton rule on melee weapons. You could have just mentioned that. Thank you for the explanation War.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Blobbe

No offence, but if you've never played the PnP game, you probably shouldn't be trying to construct a customised 'Mech. The Battletech/Mechwarrior video games take a lot of liberties with the system in the translation, especially construction and combat.

So far, you've been argumentative and contrary to everyone who's offered advice and the like, especialyl those who have quoted rules that they know a lot better then you do, such as the two twenty-plus year veterans of the game. I don't want to be difficult, but i'm really beginning to wonder if you're a good fit for the group.

Saric

Quote from: KaylaM on November 27, 2012, 10:39:31 PM
No offence, but if you've never played the PnP game, you probably shouldn't be trying to construct a customised 'Mech. The Battletech/Mechwarrior video games take a lot of liberties with the system in the translation, especially construction and combat.

So far, you've been argumentative and contrary to everyone who's offered advice and the like, especialyl those who have quoted rules that they know a lot better then you do, such as the two twenty-plus year veterans of the game. I don't want to be difficult, but i'm really beginning to wonder if you're a good fit for the group.

Your point is noted and I will therefore withdraw at this point and send Chazy a PM letting them know the slot is open.

I would like to thank those of you who assisted me until now, it is appreciated regardless of this outcome. Good luck with the game and goodbye.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Chazy

Um...not how I wanted to enter the game. But I was tracking the conversation. I am standing by but will not just jump right in unless you all feel it is okay for me to do so.
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

TheGlyphstone

You haven't done anything wrong (yet), no reason for us to not want you ;D - though you'd probably want to take Kayla's advice and use a canon Mech design rather than trying to custom-build one if you're not well-familiarized with the tabletop rules.

Wargtass

I have rejected the customs ever since the start. Part of the wonderful thing about BattleTech for me are the multitude of iconic 'Mechs which everyone can immediately summon a picture of just by the mentioning of their  names.

You are more than welcome Chazy, I'm sure you will do fine, don't feel too intimidated by our enthusiastic players!  ;D
O/O

Sara Nilsson

I for one welcome our new overlord. We need more meat.. I mean.. hunky drool worthy guys for the other girls to abuse ^^

Fortune8

I just stumbled on the thread and it says 1 spot available, is it still open? I'd be interested in joining if it was.
Love is easier made than kept! - The Chariot

Sara Nilsson

I think chazy got the last spot but.. wait and see what warg say

Fortune8

Love is easier made than kept! - The Chariot

ShadowOfHeaven

I grew up on BattleTech and I've always loved MechWarrior.
If a spot opens up in this story, let me know. I'm happy to use a stock mech.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=124957.msg5498498#msg5498498

please quote when responding to messages.
It makes my life much easier.

Chazy

Cool. Thanks all. Sorry for delay of reply. I work security and it is the time of the year when the desperate become thugs and thieves to which create heavy work loads for me. But not complaining, job security for me.

Now as for mechwarrior, I played it alot. Love the games but I was in the military at the time and was not able to access them from time to time. I believe I have nearly all the books printed for mechwarrior/battletech (both are the same save one is about the pilot and the other is about the mech) on pdf files on my computer. I am going to recreate a mechpilot that was in a game long ago of which died without warning. It was called 'Innersphere Rangers'. Just gonna have to alter his attitude since the clans have yet to enter the picture. Will make my character based on the latest printing of the mechwarrior handbook. Also, will you be allowing the Mercs handbook? Lots of good stuff in there even for pre-clan invasion.

Also, my favorite mechs are the Pheonixhawk, Warhammer, and Timberwolf/Mad Cat. But since it looks as if we are going innersphere due to the fact the clanners are mierly test tube babies so things like love, sex, and natural reproduction is foriegn to them, I will be having a hard choice between the warhammer and pheonixhawk. So help me out, folks.....which is needed more?

Here is a bit of clerification on why mechs have tonnage limits. Simply put, the chasis is rated for a certain tonage. Therefor, a 20 ton mech's chasis can only withstand a maximum of 20 tons before the stress of the weight crushes it, causing the mech to topple. In game terms, it helps keep the game balanced. Not like that wanna be anime rip off known as Robotech.
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

Wargtass

Quote from: Chazy on November 29, 2012, 12:35:51 AM
Also, my favorite mechs are the Pheonixhawk, Warhammer, and Timberwolf/Mad Cat. But since it looks as if we are going innersphere due to the fact the clanners are mierly test tube babies so things like love, sex, and natural reproduction is foriegn to them, I will be having a hard choice between the warhammer and pheonixhawk. So help me out, folks.....which is needed more?

I'd say any of the two could be valid in this case. It's up for your personal taste I guess.

Quote from: Fortune8 on November 28, 2012, 03:57:49 PM
I just stumbled on the thread and it says 1 spot available, is it still open? I'd be interested in joining if it was.
Quote from: ShadowOfHeaven on November 28, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
I grew up on BattleTech and I've always loved MechWarrior.
If a spot opens up in this story, let me know. I'm happy to use a stock mech.

At the moment the last spot is being filled by Chazy. I am however considering an option which could allow more players to join in at a later date. I'm working on it between actual work, freetime and posting, so it might take a couple of weeks for it to happen. I'll keep it in mind though and send you guys a PM one I know for sure!
O/O

Blobbe

At this stage we're rather top-heavy. More mediums, especially mobile ones, would be very useful.

Chazy

Coo. Pheonix Hawk it is. I will name her Sassy. *grins* Her weapons and armor will be modified though. Hopefully.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chazy on November 29, 2012, 11:19:15 PM
Coo. Pheonix Hawk it is. I will name her Sassy. *grins* Her weapons and armor will be modified though. Hopefully.

If you really want to mess with the loadout, download the free Solaris Skunk Werks program and the datafiles for the canon 'mechs. We can talk you through the program (it's pretty intuitive), and it'll keep you from making silly mistakes like adding technology that won't exist for another hundred years, or trying to carry more guns/ammo than you have room for.

Personally, I'd just advice using either the base design or one of the established variants. The PHX-1D is a good choice if you're not worried about fighting infantry. The -1Kk's also good, though it can have bad heat issues. If you want something rare and shiny, the -3D is new but available in 3049, and significantly upgunned but a bit more fragile because of its XL engine, and harder to repair with Endo-Steel internals.

Chazy

Cool. Thanks. I was going to just go with using the Battletech Compendium where it has mech construction rules there. Can you send me the link to the site you are speaking of? It may have been a while since I last played, but I still have decent knowledge of mech construction to not make stupid mistakes. Again though, Thanks for the advice. Will take it into consideration.

TheGlyphstone

http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

I wouldn't worry about stupid mistakes, but the BT universe covers a huge relative timespan, and a lot of the good stuff wasn't rediscovered during the pre-Clan era. SSW is handy because it automates the process to a degree...you tell it '3049' as your build date and it won't even give the option to include technology that hadn't been developed yet.

Chazy

Nice. Will definately be handy for me. Again, I thank you. Just sent the GM my character for approval before posting it on the character page.

Phaia

I know I shouldnt but I will, I would be interested if there is an opening. Have a ready concept especially seeing all the mechs with LRMs, Modified Raven with NARC, hatred of Cappella. TECH/Electroics geek/hacker
Decent Gunner, good pilot [4/3] but realy good at doing things with her electronics. Hacking satellites, hacking commsystems, a bit hard to to do in middle of fights.
One of the new Ravens that came out in 3048.

Phaia

Lady Quixote

Sadly Chazy currently has the last spot and is waiting on approval.  At the moment at least (Wargtass I think has mentioned that he might be working on an idea to allow more...not to get your hopes up though as I'm not even 50% sure of that), the flood of old school Battletech interest has taken many people by surprise.

Have a good day,
Matt

Wargtass

Indeed I'm working on a way to allow more people to play. I am doing some preparatory work and should be in negotiations shortly with admins and mods shortly to create a BattleTech board. Until then I'll just make a note of your interest and send you a PM once I have it up and running.
O/O