BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithium

You could just do what most of us did and pick a standard Mech configuration from the Wiki, you don't need to go balls to the wall with a custom build, especially since it's a freeform game so you wouldn't get any benefit from it anyways.

As for what the company is lacking, I'd say not much really, it seems pretty balanced. We've got 3 Mechs of every weight class except for medium, of which there are only 2, so you could go with that if you really wanted to even it out. For weapons it really seems quite evenly spread out, thought I didn't bother to count them out 1 by 1 or anything, so anything is probably fine.

Blobbe

Agreed there; the company is really lacking in middle-weight, flexible "trooper" machines. There are a fair number of designs in that range, so if you wanted to specify what it was that you were looking for or some specific desires (speed, mobility, armour, firepower or the like) or preferred wepaons, then we can figure something for you.

vin26m

We have a little bit of everything.

Pick something that looks cool.

http://viereth.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

Saric

well I like melee and I like tough, on the other hand I saw a Hatchetman and an Axeman already in there so melee seem to be full up. Someone mentioned a lack of artillery and I could do that if you'd like, otherwise something tough and energy based with reasonably decent heat dispersion for those longer slugging matches.

Ideas?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Blobbe

vin26m

My link has some nice pics of the Trebuchet, Centurion and Hunchback.

Lithium

I was also gonna suggest Hunchback...that big ass shoulder canon looks cool. :P

Blobbe

Fixed my broken-arse formatting. GO me.

TheGlyphstone

Don't forget the CPLT-1 Catapult for Fire Support. Sure, it looks kinda ridiculous, but it's great for long-range fire support.

Unfortunately, my favorite mechs either don't exist yet (Bushwacker) or are Clan designs (Daishi, Timber Wolf).

Blobbe

Well, i was mainly looking at medium 'Mechs, which we do have a shortage of right now

TheGlyphstone

True. Cats are really fast as far as heavy 'Mechs go, and they've got jump jets for extra mobility, but the Trebuchet has the same long-range firepower on a smaller chassis, and it's got a higher land speed.

Saric

Hmmm...

I'm looking at ether the Griffin-3M for long range support, both direct and indirect, or the Phoenix Hawk-3D for high speed scouting with respectable firepower and low logistics requirements.

Anyone got a preference between the sniper and the horse archer?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Wargtass

I think a Griffin would be terrific. The weakness of the design is the lack of short range weapons though. If the team ever enters urban zones, it will have to rely a lot on its companions for defense.
O/O

Chazy

Still room for one more??? I played both the computer games and the TT games. I even have massive pdf's of the game as well. So in short, I can aid people in mech customization and build. Been a while since I played but I have almost all the books to refrence with if need be.
Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

Saric

Pilot

Name: Mason Ward aka "Reach out and Touch Someone" (last name legally added when he came of age)
Sex: Male
BattleMech: Griffin-3M
Homeworld: Solaris VII
Original Faction: None

Description: Dark hair, gray eyes, fair skin, and a bulky 6'4'' build imply both an interesting heritage and a very cramped cockpit. Apparently in his low to mid 20's a number of scars, several discolored by coolants and other 'Mech maintenance fluids, crisscross his body. A legacy both of his years on the street, fighting for every scrap of food and sheltered nook, and his time as a 'parts monkey', and later as a full Repairman, working on the, often dangerous, insides of damaged Battlemechs. His face remains almost miraculously scarred and the strong features and high forehead like contributed to his big brake getting signed as a Mechwarrior.

Background: An orphan and a street rat Mason grew up in the alleys of Solaris VII. Living in the shadow of the great arenas everything was about the 'Mechs and the those who piloted them. Whenever possible Mason would slip into an arena, both to watch the fight and scavenge from the food and items left behind by the onlookers. After the first few fights he began to get interested in what happened to the 'Mechs after the battles and began slipping into the back areas where the maintenance bays were located. It was on one of these excursions that he was finally caught but his inquisitive questions and apparent skill at getting into odd places prompted the mechanics to give him a job to match the cuffing.

Soon the sight of him hanging upside down by one leg while cutting out damage or replacing a command run in some inaccessible nook of one 'Mech or another became commonplace. His dedicated work at the most difficult repairs, along with his almost insatiable appetite for any knowledge he could find about his metal charges, resulted in a proper contract and a full technician's pay after only a few short years and by his mid teens he was overseeing entire repair crews. Despite his new found wealth and prosperity (compared to a life on the street anyway) his dream continued to be piloting one of the mechanical behemoths he not fixed. His chance came during one late shift when most of the crew were off duty and one of the 'Mechs came in almost entirely unscarred save for a single hit, a lucky shot had hit the cockpit and the substandard construction had resulted in a shard of the windshield impaling the pilot. Given the disappointing nature of the fight and the lack of any other pilots Mason was asked to pilot the damaged 'Mech and offered an immediate contract if he gave a good show. He therefore entered his first battle sitting in a seat still stained with the previous pilot's blood and a foot long hole in front of him... he won with out sustaining any major damage.

Since then he spent several years fighting, refining his natural skill, and saving up enough C-bills to buy his own 'Mech. Now the proud owner of a Griffin-3M he has set out to join a merc group, eager to see more of the universe then the few arenas he grew up in.

Personality: Confident, determined, headstrong, and ready to take on the world. What he doesn't know about 'Mechs is probably still classified, what he does know about the world at large could fill a very small book.

Speciality Skills: Stealthy movement in urban environments, non-standard entry methods (read here: 'breaking in'), knife fighting, improvised weapon use, brawling, 'Mech maintenance and repair, and the ability to make a palatable meal out of just about anything... including e-rats.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis: GRF-3M
Weight Class: Medium
Callsign: Longshot
Description: The barrel of the ER PPC and the LRM 20 on this 'Mech have been painted bright red while the rest is a dark blue.

Loadout: ER PPC
                      LRM 20

Modules: N/A

Upgrades: Extralight Fusion Engine and DHS

General Armor Values: Not sure. Little help here?

Lady Quixote

So there's no real battlemech knife in the universe, at least once again in mech scale (there are people scale knives but that's about it).  The closest thing they have is a hatchet, or claw but the Hatchet is the only mass produced physical weapon other than one's fist.  Plus their weight would mean you would need drop off something...I think you'd need to get five tones back (KaylaM do you have your books handy to double check the tonage needed for a hatchet?).  Usually you can get rid of weapons or armor.  The LRM-20 is 10 tons, you could scale back to a LRM-10 and pickup a hatchet as an LRM-10 is 5 tons.

Otherwise, I think things look good. 

Do you happen to have a perfered callsign?  "Reach out and Touch Someone" might be a little long to speak over the coms during battle.

Matt

Lithium

Quote from: mvo33 on November 27, 2012, 04:59:38 PMDo you happen to have a perfered callsign?  "Reach out and Touch Someone" might be a little long to speak over the coms during battle.

Matt

His callsign is Longshot, it's near the bottom in the Mech section. The other thing is just a nickname I guess. :P

Lady Quixote

Saric

Quote from: mvo33 on November 27, 2012, 04:59:38 PM
So there's no real battlemech knife in the universe, at least once again in mech scale (there are people scale knives but that's about it).  The closest thing they have is a hatchet, or claw but the Hatchet is the only mass produced physical weapon other than one's fist.  Plus their weight would mean you would need drop off something...I think you'd need to get five tones back (KaylaM do you have your books handy to double check the tonage needed for a hatchet?).  Usually you can get rid of weapons or armor.  The LRM-20 is 10 tons, you could scale back to a LRM-10 and pickup a hatchet as an LRM-10 is 5 tons.

Otherwise, I think things look good. 

Do you happen to have a perfered callsign?  "Reach out and Touch Someone" might be a little long to speak over the coms during battle.

The Knife is a personal touch and is not mass produced anywhere, think of it as a signature weapon from his gladiator days, it's unlikely he will be able to replace it if it's lost or destroyed. I am fully aware that it's not standard on any 'Mech.

Quote from: Lithium on November 27, 2012, 05:06:14 PM
His callsign is Longshot, it's near the bottom in the Mech section. The other thing is just a nickname I guess. :P

More like an associated catchphrase from the arena. Part of his intro.

Lady Quixote

assuming it is going to be able to do damage it's tonnage still needs to be accounted for.  Hench believed five tons for the hatchet, and under construction rules mechs are not allowed to be over their allotted tonnage.  This is because of the mech's gyros are weighted and calibrated for a specific tonnage level.  Rule wise I guess it might be like a claw, maybe...(so maybe claw tonnage might be more suited)

If it's an estetic choice I wouldn't list it under as a weapon

Matt

Blobbe

You'd still need to find four tons for the knife from the existing weaponry. The easiest way to do that on the GRF-3M would be to drop the LRM-20 down to a LRM-15 and remove one of the Heat Sinks. That won't hurt your firepower too much while getting the desired results.

Chazy

Life is short. Live everyday as if it will be your last. For it may very well be.

Wargtass

Quote from: Chazy on November 27, 2012, 01:37:10 PM
Still room for one more??? I played both the computer games and the TT games. I even have massive pdf's of the game as well. So in short, I can aid people in mech customization and build. Been a while since I played but I have almost all the books to refrence with if need be.

As is now, Saric is filling up the last spot. Unless he decides to back out there will be no more spots open.
O/O

Chazy

Saric

Quote from: mvo33 on November 27, 2012, 05:15:21 PM
assuming it is going to be able to do damage it's tonnage still needs to be accounted for.  Hench believed five tons for the hatchet, and under construction rules mechs are not allowed to be over their allotted tonnage.  This is because of the mech's gyros are weighted and calibrated for a specific tonnage level.  Rule wise I guess it might be like a claw, maybe...(so maybe claw tonnage might be more suited)

If it's an estetic choice I wouldn't list it under as a weapon

1. I accounted for it with a ton of armor off that arm
2. I don't see why it has to be 5 tons when it's a knife not a hatchet
3. I'm just going to drop it because it's not worth the idiotic argument
4. The word you want is 'aesthetic'