News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Knights and Dames of Elliquiy, take II

Started by Vekseid, January 23, 2008, 01:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

Well, I DO like the Knight name over the Lord name :)

But if that was the reason, I wouldn't have done it. Just a little different rank under your name ain't worth money in my eyes. It's just a funny extra, and not what the donation is actually about.

Elvi

*laughs*

It may be pleasant to be named 'knight', though I'm not sure about the 'dame'.....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Sherona

I am kind of with Elvi on that one...:P Kind of liked Lady over Dame :P

Then again I didn't donate for the shiny new title either, doubt that really anyone did...People realized that this is a community that they enjoy and did not want to see lost, they realized that Veks had shouldered the burden for a very long time and it was time to step up and help out :)

NightBird

Hey, if 'Dame' is good enough for the likes of Judi Dench and Agatha Christie, I'm happy with it!

Or if you think about it in the film noir usage, it has kind of a slinky, dangerous vibe... I like that one, too.

Vekseid

Quote from: Elvi on March 08, 2008, 05:01:08 AM
*laughs*

It may be pleasant to be named 'knight', though I'm not sure about the 'dame'.....

I would have thought that the British of all members would be familiar with the title. : )

Elvi

I'm very 'familier' with the title, doesn't mean to say that I like it....*smiles*

Then again, I didn't particularly enjoy being called a 'lady' either....*laughs*

kongming

Yeah, it's not for the gold, it's for Elliquiy. Of all places, I think E is the place I should support - the community and the games have both been great.

So, Elvi, what would you prefer? Woman? Hussy? Babe? *grin*
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Elvi

To be quite honest, I don't really care at all...*smiles*

HairyHeretic

Roget's New Millenniumâ„¢ Thesaurus - Cite This Source - Share This
Main Entry:     lady
Part of Speech:     noun
Definition:     woman
Synonyms:     adult, babe, bag, baroness, bitch, broad, butterfly, contessa, countess, dame, doll, duchess, empress, female, gal, gentlewoman, girl, little woman, mama, mare, matron, missus, mistress, noblewoman, old bag, old lady, old woman, petticoat, princess, queen, queen bee, rib, squaw, sultana, weaker sex*

There you go .. pick something  :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

Not quite the correct usage, if you are using it in real terms and there are several that you have missed out....

Noun 1. lady - a polite name for any woman; "a nice lady at the library helped me"
begum - a Muslim woman of high rank in India or Pakistan
adult female, woman - an adult female person (as opposed to a man); "the woman kept house while the man hunted"
2. lady - a woman of refinement; "a chauffeur opened the door of the limousine for the grand lady"
gentlewoman, ma'am, madam, dame
grande dame - a middle-aged or elderly woman who is stylish and highly respected
madame - title used for a married Frenchwoman
adult female, woman - an adult female person (as opposed to a man); "the woman kept house while the man hunted"
3. Lady - a woman of the peerage in Britain
noblewoman, peeress
baronage, peerage - the peers of a kingdom considered as a group
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
baroness - a noblewoman who holds the rank of baron or who is the wife or widow of a baron
countess - female equivalent of a count or earl
duchess - the wife of a duke or a woman holding ducal title in her own right
female aristocrat - a woman who is an aristocrat
lady-in-waiting - a lady appointed to attend to a queen or princess
marquise, marchioness - a noblewoman ranking below a duchess and above a countess
Milady - an English noblewoman
noble, nobleman, Lord - a titled peer of the realm

dame (dm)
n.
1. Used formerly as a courtesy title for a woman in authority or a mistress of a household.
2. a. A married woman; a matron.
    b. An elderly woman.
3. Slang A woman.
4. Chiefly British
a. A woman holding a nonhereditary title conferred by a sovereign in recognition of personal merit or service to the country.
b. The wife or widow of a knight.
c. Used as the title for such a woman.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Elvi on March 08, 2008, 07:07:27 PM
dame (dm)
n.
1. Used formerly as a courtesy title for a woman in authority or a mistress of a household.

*Nods* that's right..A WOMAN IN AUTHORITY...*giggles*

HairyHeretic

Well, that was what 5 seconds on the thesarus on dictionary.com gave me. Not that I'd think of addressing you as 'the old bag' as it suggests  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Trieste

*dubs her Comtesse Elvi*

*hunts down Strangely and dubs him Comte Strangely*

*hilarity ensues*

Ceridwen

I just submitted a PM to Vekseid, but I'll post it here too! I JUST donated $10 and plan to donate more :) This place has become my home away from home, I want to help as much as I can!