Cowboys vs. Zombies

Started by RedEve, December 13, 2015, 05:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

At this point, the aim of this thread is to check the interest for such a game. I basically combined the crossover genre concept from "Cowboys vs. Aliens" with the modern day Zombie craze.
The basic set-up of the plot is that - for reasons still unclear - the smaller communities and homesteads to the South-West of Crimson Springs have been overrun by Zombies.
Eventually the horde is large enough and has marched North-East far enough to reach the first decent-sized town in its path: Crimson Springs.
Basically I would like to start the game with a short prelude: the quiet before the storm if you will. Perhaps the final 24 hours before the Zombies arrive.
In this time, we can introduce the characters and all of the relevant areas of the town. Basically any role that would fit into a frontier town is allowed.
So a Sheriff, a Marshall, deputies, the saloon owner, a haberdasher, saloon girls/prostitutes, a blacksmith, a man/woman who runs a livery, ...

Shortly thereafter we move on to the next phase. Which will be the Zombies overrunning the town. The idea is for the townfolks to eventually fight back, once they realize what is happening. Whether or not they will be successful in repealing the Zombie attack will be decided - partially - on how it plays out IC.

If you have interest in joining such a game, feel free to leave a message here.
If enough people express an interest, I will compile a character sheet template.
The idea is for all PCs to be cowboys. The Zombies will be a nameless horde that is controlled by the GM.

If this game does get off the ground, I hope to start it somewhere in the week before or after Christmas. Mostly because my schedule should clear up a bit around that time.

Background info

Crimson Springs is a town in the New Mexico Territory. The latest population count had it at just over 400 residents. It lacks its own train station and thus still relies on the stagecoach.
The main sources of income in the area are cattle ranching and silver mines. The town is relatively prosperous and boasts all of the amenities one could expect in a town of its scale.
It functions as something of a hub to the smaller settlements and remote ranches towards the South-West. The townfolks are the usual mix one might find in a frontier town.
Early settlers who came there for the land to graze their cattle or try their lucks in the mines. Then the second wave of immigration, with store owners, saloon proprietors, doctors, clergymen, ... who come to provide their respective services to the new community. Eventually sprinkled by the usual assortment of chancers, gamblers and carpet baggers come to peck their share of the corn in any semi-prosperous town.

The IC action will start on the morning of April 30th, 1875. This was a Friday. The first Zombies will venture into town Saturday morning. So that would give us one full day to establish both Crimson Springs and the characters before the Zombie action starts.

Character sheet template

[float=right][img width=400 padding=15]http://(include character image here)[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b] (This could be as simple or as elaborate as you'd like. Certain archetypes don't need much explanations (e.g. "ornery Sheriff"), others might be benefited with some more specificity).
[b]Biography:[/b] (A short write-up of your characters past. Go back as far as you'd like. If possible, include how and when your character arrived in the area. Keep in mind that the earliest settlers only arrived in 1851 and the name of "Crimson Springs" as a proper town dates back to 1854. All significant growth population-wise would only have occurred after the Civil War ended.)

Please send your CS in a PM first.

Threads

IC thread
Character thread
OOC thread

Map

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Gypsy

I do love me some cowboys, and zombies crawlin' up out of Boot Hill sounds like a high ol' time.    Depending on the particulars, I'm potentially interested.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Mathim

Color me piqued. This actually sounds like a couple of the 'Recorded Attacks' from the last bit of The Zombie Survival Guide.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RedEve

Quote from: Mathim on December 13, 2015, 10:47:24 AM
Color me piqued. This actually sounds like a couple of the 'Recorded Attacks' from the last bit of The Zombie Survival Guide.

Not familiar with that, any chance at an explanation or perhaps even a link? :)

MissFire

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

RedEve

Haha, thanks!

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/1882_A.D.,_Piedmont,_Oregon

That entry does sound a lot like what I am proposing, which is quite amusing considering I was not familiar with that material until five minutes ago.  :-)

Lustful Bride

*plants flag but is going to wait and see if more interest comes*

Mathim

Quote from: RedEve on December 13, 2015, 11:06:29 AM
Haha, thanks!

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/1882_A.D.,_Piedmont,_Oregon

That entry does sound a lot like what I am proposing, which is quite amusing considering I was not familiar with that material until five minutes ago.  :-)

Now why do I believe you, and yet I don't believe the writer of the Hunger Games when she claimed to never have heard of Battle Royale?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Aiden

Considering one of my favorite games EVER had a Undead DLC, sign me up for this.

For those of you unfamiliar with Red Dead Redemption, here is the video. It is a few years old, but I think this setting reminds me of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWGJ0aPwJw

la dame en noir

Quote from: Aiden on December 13, 2015, 04:27:23 PM
Considering one of my favorite games EVER had a Undead DLC, sign me up for this.

For those of you unfamiliar with Red Dead Redemption, here is the video. It is a few years old, but I think this setting reminds me of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWGJ0aPwJw

Thats immediately what I thought of when I saw the title.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Mathim

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 13, 2015, 06:25:26 PM
Thats immediately what I thought of when I saw the title.

I have never played RDR but I know other stuff like Call of Duty has Zombie expansions.

I like putting sci-fi stuff into older time periods. Makes me wish we could see a Predator movie set in whatever era they got that antique gun from they gave Danny Glover at the end of Predator 2.

summoner2183

Aiden

I'm gonna go ahead and reserve Anson Mount for myself.

PhantomPistoleer

Interested.

I would like to face-claim Owen Wilson.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mathim

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 13, 2015, 09:56:00 PM
Interested.

I would like to face-claim Owen Wilson.

He's not terrible to look at but he's one of my least favorite actors. I'll try not to let that bleed through with my character's interactions with him, LOL.

I was actually thinking of making a character like that of one from the Zombie Survival Guide's record attacks I mentioned. A Native American zombie hunter called Elijah Black, his story was one of the most fascinating in there. Would have been awesome if he could have been adapted into the author's next book, World War Z.

If we really want to go Cowboys vs. Aliens on this then it would make sense for a Native American or even parts of a tribe to be included, since zombies don't discriminate and therefore they have a mutual enemy. Plus even if the natives tried to warn the settlers of an oncoming horde of walking dead, they'd probably be laughed off and thought of as drunk, until it's too late...

summoner2183

Claiming RObert Baker as face-claim.

la dame en noir

I'm interested. But I don't know how historically accurate the RP is going to be.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Garuss Vakarian

I agree with historical accuracy. Pluss the we could try to use a bit of Native American legend and use the Windago as a unoficial explanation to these undead men and women. Or rather at least, the local natives think they are windagos. In fact I'd probably like to play a half white man half native American character. Someone that can have kind of a correspondent roll between the characters and possible native interactions.

RedEve

What exactly is the concern in terms of historical accuracy?
I would say that the basic setting would be grounded in reality, up until the inclusion of the zombies.
The general tone would be more pulpy, if that makes sense.

So less TWD (which can be overly serious) and more (later) Romero.

TheEmptyCell

Sounds like fun. Did anyone watch the show The Adventures of Brisco County Jr? It was a brilliant and absurd Western/sci-fi mix. Not that I'm suggesting adding a sci-fi element, but that blending the Old West with others genres is awesome.

I'm all for pulp and a bit of camp

RedEve

Quote from: TheEmptyCell on December 14, 2015, 08:09:10 AM
Sounds like fun. Did anyone watch the show The Adventures of Brisco County Jr? It was a brilliant and absurd Western/sci-fi mix. Not that I'm suggesting adding a sci-fi element, but that blending the Old West with others genres is awesome.

I did. I'm a big Bruce Campbell fan, so I have seen most of what he has been in.  :-)

Mathim

Quote from: TheEmptyCell on December 14, 2015, 08:09:10 AM

My mom used to like that show, I only saw bits and pieces but I was intrigued by what I saw. Bowler was funny, I remember that. The genre isn't common but it's referred to as the 'Weird West'.

RedEve

Quote from: Mathim on December 14, 2015, 08:31:04 AM
My mom used to like that show, I only saw bits and pieces but I was intrigued by what I saw. Bowler was funny, I remember that. The genre isn't common but it's referred to as the 'Weird West'.

That's Lord Bowler!

A completely fictitious title?
No, he just made it up!

Gypsy

Pulp and camp are awesome -- and I would also love to get away from the gloom and doom seriousness that is so much of the Walking Dead.  I loved the old Romero zombie movies, particularly the one where they were holed up in the mall.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

RedEve

Quote from: GypsyRose on December 14, 2015, 10:02:08 AM
Pulp and camp are awesome -- and I would also love to get away from the gloom and doom seriousness that is so much of the Walking Dead.  I loved the old Romero zombie movies, particularly the one where they were holed up in the mall.

That's "Dawn of the Dead" and the first one where he truly uses that lighter, tongue-in-cheek tone.