News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Female Manoeuvers - A UK Study

Started by Beguile's Mistress, January 30, 2012, 05:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

An article published today in The Telegraph in the UK reports that studies prove that women are better at maneuvering into parking spots than men.

QuoteWomen were also found to be better at finding spaces, more accurate in lining themselves up before starting each manoeuvre, and more likely to adopt instructors’ preferred method of reversing into bays.

Shjade

I'm trying really, really hard not to interpret that quote as referring something much dirtier.

...it's not working. :x
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Beguile's Mistress

Pumpkin Seeds

So we're better at backing it up?

Wow...scientific evidence for something that rap videos have been showing for years.

Hemingway

QuoteThe findings contradict not only popular belief but also previous research. Figures from the Driving Standards Agency last year disclosed that tens of thousands more women fail their driving test on parking errors than men.

I'm not sure that's actually true, the part about it contradicting popular belief. I mean, when, to take a harmless example, I think of my dad as being better at parking a car than my mom, it's not because he does it with more precision ( although he probably does ), but because he does it more quickly, more confidently. Maybe that's just my experience, and other people have different views on men and women and parking.

Shjade

It's also possible that factors other than driving skill are affecting those numbers. Maybe male drivers just averaged better performances under circumstances of needing to demonstrating their driving prowess where more female drivers got anxious about it and had that impact their demonstrated ability. Who knows.
◕/◕'s

Oniya

I personally can't stand backing into a parking space.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Nor can I, though to put that in perspective, driving in general is a non-sexual-type squick for me. I dun like et. :x

*has yet to even attempt driving on the freeway without a co-pilot because OH GOD MERGING HIGH SPEEDS EEEEE ;.;*
◕/◕'s

Beguile's Mistress

I don't have trouble parking in the normal course of events.  Once I learn the geometry of it for each vehicle it's easy.  I used to own a Ford Focus that I could fit into spaces so small there was barely a foot of room in front and behind.  But that car had such a sight turning radius I could probably have parked it in an envelope.

I have a larger car now and need more room to maneuver.

Quote from: Shjade on January 30, 2012, 10:07:46 PM
Nor can I, though to put that in perspective, driving in general is a non-sexual-type squick for me. I dun like et. :x

*has yet to even attempt driving on the freeway without a co-pilot because OH GOD MERGING HIGH SPEEDS EEEEE ;.;*
Highway driving is also fun for me.  New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, California.  No problems at all.  I've been know to merge across 5 lanes in a tenth of a mile.

Shjade

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 30, 2012, 10:09:33 PM
I have a larger car now and need more room to maneuver.
Oh, I think that's true for most of us around this time of year. Aftermath of holiday feasting and all.
◕/◕'s

Beguile's Mistress

Caeli

I love driving. :)

I actually used to hate parking in parallel parking spots, but in the apartment complex I lived from June 2010 to June 2011, we only had one parking spot in the complex between the three of us (roommates), so we rotated the spot. The only kind of parking spots outside were parallel spots (on a significant incline/decline, no less), and unless I wanted to walk a good half a mile from my car to my apartment by parking parallel without any cars around me, I had to park parallel into tiny, barely-enough-space spots. It's gotten so that I can do it in three smooth steps - stop next to the car in front, back in, drive forward a bit so the car behind isn't trapped. I'm glad I got the experience - I'm no longer afraid of parking parallel, and actually prefer it to cramped parking lot spots that are badly designed.

As far as regular day to day driving - I don't consider myself an expert or a pro or anything, but I do consider myself a safe driver. I use blinkers when there's nobody behind me or in front of me, I stop the full two seconds at stop signs, I don't talk on the phone except on my bluetooth (and that, usually to tell the other person I'll call them back when I'm out of the car).

If anything, it's the stupid drivers on the road who make driving a pain. Like the people who'll weave between lanes trying to get into the "fastest lane", or who'll lane change without using their blinkers, or who run red lights because they don't want to wait for the next signal change. And that's not even the people who make stupid choices - like drinking and driving.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Shjade

Yeah, it's not the mechanics of driving that bother me. Mechanically I'm fine as a driver. I have a sort of running gag that I take part in "precision driving" due to sort of an in-joke on how I take corners (in a word: quickly), but it's not manipulating the vehicle that worries me.

It's driving around other people, especially at high speed or when said other people aren't in cars. I haaate driving near bicyclists - not because they go slow or hog space or blah blah whatever complaints people have about bicyclists on the road. I just worry about hitting them. :x
◕/◕'s

Beguile's Mistress

That's understandable.  In the last six years my car has been hit and totaled 3 times.  I haven't been hurt but each time I was nervous when I got back into a car and had to go out on the road and I had to get passed that.  I guess I learned that what's going to happen will happen and all I can do is be as careful as possible.

Elkay

All this Men are Better At Driving or Women Are Better At Reversing is a bit silly really. Some of us are good, some of us are bad.

I only really like driving on my own. If I have other people in the car, I think they are judging me.

ambrosial

Interesting, I suppose. But I wonder if there's really any gender basis for driving skill (or any other skill).

I think, like a lot of things, it boils down to someone's experience doing a particular task. I used to be terrified of driving and didn't get my driver's license until I was 18 because I was so afraid of doing it. But now, after driving a 1,000 miles in one day, several times....there's virtually nothing involved in driving that bothers me now.

Except street parking. Mostly because I worry about other drivers ramming my car. :P
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!