A (semi) useful tool or NaNoWriMo!

Started by Jeramiahh, October 26, 2007, 01:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

The Fantasy Novelist's Exam: If you answer "yes" to any of these questions you fail. Start over.

Could also apply to some RPs, too... though I know I'm horribly guilty of halfsome of these.

http://www.rinkworks.com/fnovel/
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

kongming

Apparently you're not allowed to have female characters at all. Wait, my mistake, they're allowed to be the caster. But they can't be too girly, or too manly either. I'm not sure if they're trying to say "Don't make the females one-dimensional", or if they seriously think females in general are cliche, however. Maybe they just want a world with nothing but men. Which is sort of the opposite of my ideal world.

Is any character in your novel best described as "a dour dwarf"?

I like that one - because *all* dwarfs *must* be dour, this effectively means "No dwarfs allowed". I approve.

Does everybody under four feet tall exist solely for comic relief?

Oh come on, that's just like in the real world!

Is your novel based on the adventures of your role-playing group?

Prove that this is a bad thing. See: Raymond Fiest

# Do you write your battle scenes by playing them out in your favorite RPG?
# Have you done up game statistics for all of your main characters in your favorite RPG?

These are not bad things.

Are you writing a work-for-hire for Wizards of the Coast?

This, on the other hand, is a bad thing.

Do any of the magic users in your novel cast spells easily identifiable as "fireball" or "lightning bolt"?

Because Heaven forbid people cast spells that are considered classics, or are easily identifiable.

Over all, pretty funny and useful, but as you can see, I had many quibbles with it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Jeramiahh

Oh, I agree; a lot of the points are silly. Hence, why I put it i the Comedy Corner. And I definitely agree on your fourth point... there's a lot of really good DMs out there who can make any battle really, really exciting.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Celestial Goblin

QuoteDo you think that the only two uses for ships are fishing and piracy?
Whaling and pirate hunting too.

QuoteDo you ever use the term "plate mail" in your novel?
In a steampunk setting, where people use punctured metal plates to store data...
"Honey, the mailman delivered the virtual catalog of steam automata you ordered!" :)

QuoteIs the countryside in your novel littered with tombs and gravesites filled with ancient magical loot that nobody thought to steal centuries before?
Nevermind the magical loot, but a land where countryside is filled with miles after miles of tombs and gravesites is awesome!