Stare into the Abyss.... (Monster of the Week, NC-Exotic)

Started by ShadowFox89, January 12, 2017, 12:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

....and it will stare back. Sunnydale is your average quaint American town. A gradeschool, highschool, grocery store, and two gas stations. It's main attractions are the local museum, which holds artifacts dating back to colonial America, as well as various curios the caretaker gathered from across the globe. The mayor is well liked, crime is low, and the local clinic is always open. But a dark shadow grows over Sunnydale, as something seeks to turn this idealistic town into a hell on earth....

This game will be using Monster of the Week, a system that uses Powered by the Apocalypse to help tell a story. In Monster of the Week, you play a monster hunter (think X-Files, Buffy, Supernatural, or even Hunter: the Vigil) who has either come to Sunnydale or was born here. I am looking for 3-4 players to take up arms as defenders of the town of Sunnydale, to keep it bright and shiny.

I'm probably missing some details, but going on nearly 24hrs with no sleep, ask them here and I will answer them when I can.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

I do like Buffy.

I do like PbtA (in theory; never actually played).

I do like being a monster hunter.

I imagine making characters is pretty easy, even without the book?

ShadowFox89

I can work you through character creation (I'm not sure how much Vekseid will let me post without getting in trouble), but it's fairly simple. And you shouuuuuld be able to find the books online if you go looking. Evilhat has the pdf on their store for $12, so example.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Sounds good!

Would it be too much work for you to post the... whatever they call them?  Classes?  Archetypes?  Or will we do pretty well with emulating the general type from one of the pieces of media you mention?  Seems like there's a lot there.

ShadowFox89

I'm about to head out for a bit, but I can post the classes when I get home, along with a short description of each.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheFourthShade

Flying Tengu

Based on the sorts of media mentioned, I bet I can make a good guess at some classes.

With that in mind, I'm starting to come up with ideas.  I have not just one, but two ideas for a Watcher type!  And a lot of other vague ideas that could probably become something more.

Cold Heritage

http://genericgames.co.nz/files/

If you head over there, you can download a .zip file with a .pdf of the classes for free from the game creator's official website.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Flying Tengu

In case it wasn't clear, I'm totally interested.  There's a lot of good media that seems like it would be a good fit for this.  Besides the ones you mention (Buffy and Angel, X-Files, Supernatural), there's also Grimm, Stranger Things, Warehouse 13... you could probably make a case for things like Agents of Shield, Men in Black.  Maybe The Librarians?  Not sure.

Regardless, that's a whole lot of cool stuff that I'd enjoy emulating.

TheFourthShade

I've got a couple of ideas for a character, including a finished professional and some others that need some fleshing out.

Even if this doesn't pan out, at least it killed some of my time at work working up characters.