So... What makes you so Special?

Started by Arsha, February 17, 2016, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arsha

*Arrogantly flicks her hair, and sneers condescendingly down at the masses*
Excuse the rather confrontational title, but if you're in here reading, apparently it did a good job in grabbing your attention.

To clarify my question;
                                     "What makes Elliquiy good?"

I've been roleplaying for several years now, and during those years I've signed up to well over a dozen active roleplaying forums. Many of which no longer exist, but there are a few which continue to boast relative to high activity levels. Now I'm not going to mention what those forums are (And I'd like others to refrain from specifically naming forums too) but my journey here should be indicative enough that I'm seeking greener pastures.

Of course, I'm interested in what makes the community a worthwhile one in a broad sense (Eg; Friendly community, respectable staff, neat features, etcetc). But I'd also like to hear more specific instances where you were glad, or felt really good that you'd chosen Elliquiy as your roleplaying forum of choice.

As a new member this really intrigues me, and I'm sure others irrespective of whether they're pending or veterans wouldn't mind hearing what makes this community so great.

The Dark Raven

Elliquiy is the only place on the internet that I feel safe expressing myself as a person and as an aspiring writer.  I've been here going on 8 years now.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Arsha

8 Years? Wow, that's quite the accomplishment, and a substantial tribute to why this place is worthwhile for some members.
Thanks for commenting, and hopefully you'll enjoy another 8 years which will be just as good, if not better.

Ariel

I love this community more than words can say.

The approval process will always be my absolute favorite thing about it. It helps keep our community a safe and tight one. I know that might seem like nothing at first, especially if the approval process frustrated you, but once you're around for a year or two and take a good look at the community and the similar characteristics everyone has, then you start to appreciate it. It truly does weed out any creepy, hostile, and otherwise harmful people that try to get in and ruin the secure environment we have here. A site like this, that has a high female community and allows sexual content, would generally get a lot of creeps coming in to cause drama or otherwise be here to use E as a meat market, even though we make it clear in the rules that we don't appreciate that type of behavior. Sure, some people do slip through the cracks (and they eventually get caught), but for the most part, the approval process helps avoid that. This is especially important if you've been on a different 18+ site that didn't have some sort of approval process or rules against those types of predatory behavior. It's safe here. A safe haven.

I also love the enormous acceptance for lgbt+ people here. The inclusion and protection of lieges here is also something I love dearly about this site. I am not a liege, but I am a huge supporter of lgbt+ rights, and I wouldn't be here if this site wasn't as accepting as it is.

And, of course, the community. There are some of the most amazing people here. Kind and sweet and friendly. They also make this place home.

I've never come across another site like E. It's unique and amazing and home. :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Blank

I've been here on and off for about seven years and I think highly of it.  It has a very active community has a wealth of creativity and personality.  It has enough tools for you to find people with similar interests in stories fairly quickly.  I use the Find Partners tool quite a bit since I like my search-fu.  But posting story ideas in their respected forums or looking their for other people's ideas works well. Usually there is someone out there interested in what you are looking for.

Honestly, I'd say try it.  The worst that happens is you write a few stories with people or socialize on the forums, get bored, and leave.  But I think the odds are good you'll enjoy it here.

Nico

I love Elliquiy because of the community and the lack of bullshit and harassement. I love the site because not once I had to face ignorance and intolerance because of my sexual orientation. The community is full of awesome, accepting and mature people. I also apprechiate the lack of a 'meat market' vibe. I am going on 7 years, almost and in all those years I only had two encounters that left me a little bit creeped out. And, of course, I met some truly wonderful and supportive writing partners on here (kudos to them, to bear with my fickle, picky muse!)

I have been in other places before - but those were fails. I never was able to find good M/M fiction that wasn't some bad yaoi or slash. I found the good things on Elliquiy. Elliquiy also took my prejudices against female writers writing gay men. I was quite jaded when I came here, because I only made bad experiences in that regard. Elliquiy changed that, fortunately.

Theta Sigma

E has given me a best friend and a creative soulmate who I have been writing with for four years this year, among other good friends and wonderful people. The community is a delight, and honestly, my only regret is not finding this place sooner. There's a good sense of continuity from members, names become familiar and just seeing them around, even though I've never spoken to them, help to make me feel welcome in this place.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Dice

What makes this place special? The door. Honest. The front door. There is one and that's a great thing for the health of this place.

If you want to be here you have to prove it. Fuck that makes a difference.

Blank

Quote from: Dice on February 23, 2016, 10:28:32 AM
What makes this place special? The door. Honest. The front door. There is one and that's a great thing for the health of this place.

If you want to be here you have to prove it. Fuck that makes a difference.
I really hadn't thought about that.  Good call.  This would be a very different place without the vetting process.