Game of Thrones - Sandbox/Free-form RP (Now Recruiting!)

Started by BruceTheCat, April 27, 2016, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: Amelita on May 14, 2016, 12:58:07 AM
This came from one of the GMs at some point:

Just so you're aware of context.

Alright. I'm editing a few things about him being a tourney champion (despite only being champion of small tourneys throughout Westeros), but I'm keeping the self-proclaimed greatest swordsman title. There's always room for cocky attitudes.

"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

RedEve

All this talk of (self-proclaimed) greatest swordsmen is only reminding me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VXR_5CQx7E

;D
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Swashbuckler

It's not like those things really matter in the real GoT anyway.  Just look at the series/novels.

Best fighters:

Jaime Lannister - hand chopped off after being captured by the Bloody Mummers.  Worth noting that he was travelling with the OTHER best fighter of his generation, Brienne.

Robert Baratheon - killed Rhaegar Targareon single handed, killed  by a pig.

Eddard Stark - killed by being a political dummy

Oberyn Martell - head squished because he was cocky

The Mountain - speared, poisoned, zombified

The Hound - fell off a cliff

Robb Stark - stabbed at a wedding

Knight of Flowers - burned to a crisp (novels)

The beauty of Game of Thrones, is the realism.  The greatest fighter in the world runs into 5 guys in an alley, chances are he is dead, the only difference is how many he takes with him.

RedEve

I would add that Robb Stark isn't regarded as a great knight in single combat.
Hence why Jaime Lannister made him the offer of settling their dispute that way, since he knew the Young Wolf had no chance against him.

Your last remark reminded me of the legend around the assassination of the Duke of Guise, who killed four of his assailants and wounded a fifth before succumbing to his wounds, in spite of having to fight eight men on his own.

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: Swashbuckler on May 14, 2016, 07:53:22 AM
It's not like those things really matter in the real GoT anyway.  Just look at the series/novels.

Best fighters:

Jaime Lannister - hand chopped off after being captured by the Bloody Mummers.  Worth noting that he was travelling with the OTHER best fighter of his generation, Brienne.

Robert Baratheon - killed Rhaegar Targareon single handed, killed  by a pig.

Eddard Stark - killed by being a political dummy

Oberyn Martell - head squished because he was cocky

The Mountain - speared, poisoned, zombified

The Hound - fell off a cliff

Robb Stark - stabbed at a wedding

Knight of Flowers - burned to a crisp (novels)

The beauty of Game of Thrones, is the realism.  The greatest fighter in the world runs into 5 guys in an alley, chances are he is dead, the only difference is how many he takes with him.

Which is the beauty of Ser Arthur Dayne, who is what inspired my character to be self-proclaimed. The Sword of Dawn was considered the best who mentored Jaime Lannister, proved he was better than Ned Stark at a young age, and was probably better than Rhaegar Targaryen.

But the only way to beat him was a cheap shot to the back.
Master ON/OFF

RedEve

On that subject, I refuse to believe that this is what GRRM intended when he had Ned Stark say that he would not have survived his meeting with Ser Arthur Dayne had it not been for Howland Reed.
The way that character is portrayed, I always assumed that it involved some weird tactic, not backstabbing.

I say this in the full understanding that much of what GRRM has tried to do with his epic series is subvert chivalrous tropes from fantasy literature.

RedEve

Quote from: MasterOfMyFate on May 14, 2016, 08:03:01 AM
Which is the beauty of Ser Arthur Dayne, who is what inspired my character to be self-proclaimed. The Sword of Dawn was considered the best who mentored Jaime Lannister, proved he was better than Ned Stark at a young age, and was probably better than Rhaegar Targaryen.

But Ser Arthur Dayne is not self-proclaimed. He is proclaimed to be the greatest knight ever by three different men: Ser Jaime Lannister (who squired for him), Ser Barristan the Bold (himself regarded as a great knight) and Ned Stark (by all accounts a man who admired honor in others).

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:05:53 AM
On that subject, I refuse to believe that this is what GRRM intended when he had Ned Stark say that he would not have survived his meeting with Ser Arthur Dayne had it not been for Howland Reed.
The way that character is portrayed, I always assumed that it involved some weird tactic, not backstabbing.

I say this in the full understanding that much of what GRRM has tried to do with his epic series is subvert chivalrous tropes from fantasy literature.

Iunno. I liked the idea that for all Ned Stark's honor, there were times when even his honor was compromised. Kinda like how many people questioned his honor when he "fathered a bastard."

But yeah, it was a dick move.

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:08:13 AM
But Ser Arthur Dayne is not self-proclaimed. He is proclaimed to be the greatest knight ever by three different men: Ser Jaime Lannister (who squired for him), Ser Barristan the Bold (himself regarded as a great knight) and Ned Stark (by all accounts a man who admired honor in others).

Quote from: MasterOfMyFate on May 14, 2016, 08:03:01 AM

Master ON/OFF

RedEve

I always thought that Ser Arthur Dayne was the embodiment of that Walter Payton saying:

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.” 

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:10:32 AM
I always thought that Ser Arthur Dayne was the embodiment of that Walter Payton saying:

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

Pretty accurate to what I'm going for. Except barely any people tell my character.
Master ON/OFF

Primarch

Even then there's never a single person considered "the best" by unanimous decision. Its always "among the best" or "he's the best" as said by someone who wants to consider him the best.
Ser Arthur Dayne was particularly famous for his chivalry, GRRM has stated a fight between Arthur & Barristan would go to Arthur only because of Dawn, otherwise it would be a matter of who was better on the day.

Jaime, Barristan & Garlan Tyrell all exist at the same time and are all considered tremendously talented.

RedEve

Quote from: MasterOfMyFate on May 14, 2016, 08:12:25 AM
Pretty accurate to what I'm going for. Except barely any people tell my character.

Right, but in that case, he is not the "self-proclaimed" greatest swordsman.  :-)

If you go over Swashbuckler's list of great swordsmen, you can see they fall apart in two groups:

Those who coquetted to a certain degree with their skills in combat: The Knight of Flowers, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, Oberyn Martell

Those who were just good but didn't care to advertise that fact either way: The Hound, Brienne of Tarth

I think the point of Ser Arthur Dayne is that he might very well be the greatest ever, yet he still fell into the second category.

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:17:10 AM
Right, but in that case, he is not the "self-proclaimed" greatest swordsman.  :-)

If you go over Swashbuckler's list of great swordsmen, you can see they fall apart in two groups:

Those who coquetted to a certain degree with their skills in combat: The Knight of Flowers, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, Oberyn Martell

Those who were just good but didn't care to advertise that fact either way: The Hound, Brienne of Tarth

I think the point of Ser Arthur Dayne is that he might very well be the greatest ever, yet he still fell into the second category.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/self-proclaimed
Master ON/OFF

MasterOfMyFate

Self-proclaimed until otherwise proven. That's the beauty of my character until he ever crosses swords with other characters.

Having not battled any of the characters the players have made, Alistair (my character) has yet to lose a fight. And he is good at what he does.

So, inspirit, he is a third party not initially tied to the nobles and their "noble claim" to sword play. Just a guy who came out of left field spouting nonsense but no one has yet to shut him up.
Master ON/OFF

RedEve

Aiden

I proclaiming you greatest bumper to the thread.

MasterOfMyFate

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:25:19 AM
The point is precisely that Ser Arthur Dayne would not have proclaimed himself to be the greatest swordsman.

And my point is that he inspired my character to be the greatest swordsman. So far Self-proclaimed.

Quote from: Aiden on May 14, 2016, 08:28:56 AM
I proclaiming you greatest bumper to the thread.

Anything to help juice up my muse to make my character.
Master ON/OFF

WhatLiesAbove

Why is it that people saying things like "greatest swordsman" makes me think of the quote from 300?

"Immortals....we put their name to the test."

MasterOfMyFate

In the end though, the "self-proclaimed world's greatest swordsman" thing is just a ploy so he could get people to challenge him and to hide his true persona as a Stark bastard who's just trying to go home to his family.

Edit: I've edited my WIP so all my character needs is the go ahead on who his Stark parent/Ancestor is going to be. I'm really leaning towards Arya.

Speaking of which, where's Jon Snow?
Master ON/OFF

Caela

Quote from: RedEve on May 14, 2016, 08:25:19 AM
The point is precisely that Ser Arthur Dayne would not have proclaimed himself to be the greatest swordsman.

I don't think he means Ser Arthur Dayne is self-proclaimed but that the character he is making is.

Kokaine

So, gonna try this again but... is anyone possibly open to or have a need for a protector/bodyguard for their character?

My aim is for a female warrior who keeps her sex a secret by never taking her helmet off. Her true identity would only be known by the one person and the intended face claim at this point is Rhona Mitra.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

sweets

Quote from: Kokaine on May 14, 2016, 11:13:53 PM
So, gonna try this again but... is anyone possibly open to or have a need for a protector/bodyguard for their character?

My aim is for a female warrior who keeps her sex a secret by never taking her helmet off. Her true identity would only be known by the one person and the intended face claim at this point is Rhona Mitra.

My character Shana could use a body guard.

Bibliophilia

-peers at Koka...glances at Maeryn.-  Wellllll......

Kokaine

Quote from: sweets on May 14, 2016, 11:27:43 PM
My character Shan could use a body guard.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on May 14, 2016, 11:29:19 PM
-peers at Koka...glances at Maeryn.-  Wellllll......

Okay so my thoughts right now are that she's a half Dornish (mother) bastard from the Vale, treated horribly which led her to develop her fighting ability and blah blah blah.

One idea I am considering is that in the present she has taken the place of another, like stolen his armor after he was killed in a skirmish (maybe they were killed by her personally after trying something or whatever), and is pretty much posing as him with everyone believing that this person was either so badly disfigured he never wants to be seen or else was quite literally resurrected and is an abomination. From there she has sort of been quietly developing a reputation and keeping her identity hidden--a real struggle but one that she views as worth it.

I dunno how either of you feel about that and how it might affect your character to potentially have her at your character's side with that particular angle. Like if it might taint their image?
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

sweets

Quote from: Kokaine on May 15, 2016, 12:12:29 AM
Okay so my thoughts right now are that she's a half Dornish (mother) bastard from the Vale, treated horribly which led her to develop her fighting ability and blah blah blah.

One idea I am considering is that in the present she has taken the place of another, like stolen his armor after he was killed in a skirmish (maybe they were killed by her personally after trying something or whatever), and is pretty much posing as him with everyone believing that this person was either so badly disfigured he never wants to be seen or else was quite literally resurrected and is an abomination. From there she has sort of been quietly developing a reputation and keeping her identity hidden--a real struggle but one that she views as worth it.

I dunno how either of you feel about that and how it might affect your character to potentially have her at your character's side with that particular angle. Like if it might taint their image?

Shana is from Qarth and is the wife of a now deceased merchant Prince. She is going to King's Landing to be closer for her family which just so happens to be the royal family.

If you wanted your character to be her guard no one in Westeros would even have any idea at all that she was a woman, just a guard for the King's cousin who came with her from across the narrow sea.