The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

I know the reviews of BvS have been mixed to say the least but looks like not many people care, $424M opening weekend at the box office, 4th largest global opening.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

You pretty much see the good parts of the movie in some of the trailers. The reviews I've read have been largely negative concerning plot and the action. People probably only went to see what the hype was about. Doubt it will maintain the momentum. The doom and gloom tone just doesn't sit well with the origins of the characters. I'll wait to spend the twenty dollars on the "director's cut". The next animated DC movie, Justice League vs Teen Titans will be out soon.

It looks like they have picked an actor to play Green Lantern. Articles saying that Tyrese Gibson will be Green Lantern. Another article says that the Aquaman movie will be "lighter" in tone compared to Batman v Superman.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 28, 2016, 08:22:48 PM
You pretty much see the good parts of the movie in some of the trailers. The reviews I've read have been largely negative concerning plot and the action. People probably only went to see what the hype was about. Doubt it will maintain the momentum. The doom and gloom tone just doesn't sit well with the origins of the characters. I'll wait to spend the twenty dollars on the "director's cut". The next animated DC movie, Justice League vs Teen Titans will be out soon.

It looks like they have picked an actor to play Green Lantern. Articles saying that Tyrese Gibson will be Green Lantern. Another article says that the Aquaman movie will be "lighter" in tone compared to Batman v Superman.

LOL, maybe they'll finally figure out everything doesn't need to be dark all the damn time or that they don't need to make DC's signature that it's all dark. That works well for Batman, but not for many others.

I've read the plot synopsis because I honestly just don't care anymore, and it sounds even more badly-written than the stuff the trailers had already spoiled. I mean, it sounded comic-book-y, but not in a good way. I also heard the worldwide opening is including a few countries some other opening weekend record-breakers didn't have during their first few weeks, so it didn't beat any major record-holders in sheer volume, so their load is essentially blown. I don't doubt it'll come close to 1 billion globally (like within 100 million) but I'll be very surprised if it actually meets or exceeds it. It also sounds like this movie, like Iron Man 3, could teach a clinic in mistakes that should be learned from. I'll try to compile a checklist but I must find a way to see it for free first...

That being said, I have no idea yet how this will bode for Suicide Squad, which seems like it would be more at home in the dark tone DC is striving for, at least compared to Superman and Wonder Woman. Audiences seem to be more favorable than critics (which is different than the unanimous reaction to Fant4stic being negative) so perhaps the DCEU will maintain a certain momentum where it counts, i.e. in box office returns since if general viewers appreciate it more than reviewers then they'll continue seeing the films regardless of poor critical reception.

One has to wonder how the director's/extended cut will change things, since the consensus among reviewers seems to be that the film was 20-30 minutes too long as it is (which kind of surprises me since that's supposed to be how long these epic ensemble superhero films usually are) and if adding more to it will improve the overall experience. Time will tell, I suppose. I just wish both the first and second entries into DC's united filmverse didn't feel like they needed a 'do-over'.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Legends of Tomorrow has added a new recurring character to the roster. An article revealed that Patrick J. Adams who plays Mike Ross on Suits will appear on the show as a "beloved superhero from DC canon" with his own agenda and mysterious past. Apparently his appearance cements the season finale and begins the tone of the second season. They already eliminated the possibility that he is Booster Gold. Some are speculating that he will be Terry McGinness/Batman, which would be interesting seeing that Chronos appeared in the Batman Beyond series, the animated version at least. Another time traveler that comes to mind is Brainac 5.

On the Marvel side, there is speculation that Oded Fehr might be playing Taskmaster in Marvel's Most Wanted. Which would be interesting. High tech mercenary with his level of skills against Mockingbird and crew would definitely be interesting and give them a run for their money. Apparently, one of the articles said that Taskmaster won't appear in the movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 31, 2016, 08:21:54 PM
Legends of Tomorrow has added a new recurring character to the roster. An article revealed that Patrick J. Adams who plays Mike Ross on Suits will appear on the show as a "beloved superhero from DC canon" with his own agenda and mysterious past. Apparently his appearance cements the season finale and begins the tone of the second season. They already eliminated the possibility that he is Booster Gold. Some are speculating that he will be Terry McGinness/Batman, which would be interesting seeing that Chronos appeared in the Batman Beyond series, the animated version at least. Another time traveler that comes to mind is Brainac 5.

On the Marvel side, there is speculation that Oded Fehr might be playing Taskmaster in Marvel's Most Wanted. Which would be interesting. High tech mercenary with his level of skills against Mockingbird and crew would definitely be interesting and give them a run for their money. Apparently, one of the articles said that Taskmaster won't appear in the movies.

It wasn't Batman Beyond, it was Justice League Unlimited, the two-parter "The Once and Future Thing" where Chronos brought Batman, Wonder Woman (briefly) and Green Lantern to the dystopian Neo-Gotham. But having that future Batman on LoT would be awesome since they obviously can't use Bruce Wayne. Still wondering how they're planning to proceed with both the Flash TV series and feature film...

Oded Fehr was awesome in the Mummy and Resident Evil movies, he'd be a great character in the MCU, but I would have preferred Taskmaster be someone the Defenders go up against since they're heavy into martial arts and the Agents of SHIELD are less so. But after these recent episodes, I can at least understand why the team would splinter and allow for Hunter and Bobbi to get their own thing going, though I dislike the idea of losing the dynamic they bring to the team and having to keep track of yet another show that doesn't really do anything that different from AoS...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Though other speculations surfacing are Patrick J. Adams might by Hal Jordan/Green Lantern since they have been dropping hints all over the place. Mentioned Ferris Airways, Coast City with the Green Lantern logo. Ferris Air again in The Flash in the episode where they were transporting the metahumans. The Airfield had been shut down do to their test pilot going missing. In a flashback scene on Arrow, in a crowd scene at a club it is shown someone wearing a bomber pilot's style jacekt with the name Jordan on it. Other names being thrown out is Doctor Fate, doubt it but they have been doing more stuff with mystical plots lately. Adam Strange was mentioned. Or, a future version of Hawkman, highly doubt it.

I'm still hoping they will bring in Alexis Denishof to play MirrorMaster on the Flash since he did the voice of the character on the Justice League show. They did it with Mark Hamill who played the Trickster.

And Oded Fehr has appeared in several tv shows. He is awesome. I could see him as Taskmaster. I really hope they start doing some crossovers with the netflix shows. Punisher crossing paths with the Most Wanted team, Iron Fist and Daredevil mixing it up with the main S.H.I.E.L.D. team. Though, I wonder if the Most Wanted team is supposed to mirror the S.T.R.I.K.E. team from the comics which interestingly was led by Lance Hunter.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 31, 2016, 10:28:02 PM
Though other speculations surfacing are Patrick J. Adams might by Hal Jordan/Green Lantern since they have been dropping hints all over the place. Mentioned Ferris Airways, Coast City with the Green Lantern logo. Ferris Air again in The Flash in the episode where they were transporting the metahumans. The Airfield had been shut down do to their test pilot going missing. In a flashback scene on Arrow, in a crowd scene at a club it is shown someone wearing a bomber pilot's style jacekt with the name Jordan on it. Other names being thrown out is Doctor Fate, doubt it but they have been doing more stuff with mystical plots lately. Adam Strange was mentioned. Or, a future version of Hawkman, highly doubt it.

I'm still hoping they will bring in Alexis Denishof to play MirrorMaster on the Flash since he did the voice of the character on the Justice League show. They did it with Mark Hamill who played the Trickster.

And Oded Fehr has appeared in several tv shows. He is awesome. I could see him as Taskmaster. I really hope they start doing some crossovers with the netflix shows. Punisher crossing paths with the Most Wanted team, Iron Fist and Daredevil mixing it up with the main S.H.I.E.L.D. team. Though, I wonder if the Most Wanted team is supposed to mirror the S.T.R.I.K.E. team from the comics which interestingly was led by Lance Hunter.

They don't have the manpower for another STRIKE team, though, do they? SHIELD is really bare-bones as it is, and with the
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
disavowal of Bobbi and Hunter by the U.S. government, it's hard to imagine what organization they would end up working for.

SapphireStar

S.T.R.I.K.E. was basically the European/International version of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comic books. So, if they are using that as a basis for the show, then it is possible then that they are trying for a more global story arc? They have been "rebuilding" S.H.I.E.L.D.. It is possible there are more S.H.I.E.L.D. teams which will probably be addressed in the upcoming Civil War movie. They showed the superhuman prison.

Mini update: Apparently, they are reshooting some scenes for the Suicide Squad to make it "more fun". The reshoots are reported to be very expensive. Does this mean they are reshooting most of the movie?

Gambit is in trouble. Reportedly the current director is in talks to go do another movie. Apprently there is trouble on the set.

mia h

There is one thing I really loved about BvS but it's entirely accidental.
Martha Wayne played by Lauren Cohen
Thomas Wayne played by Jeffery Dean Morgan

Guess they'll get a little more screen time together on TWD's season finale  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 01, 2016, 09:38:28 PM
S.T.R.I.K.E. was basically the European/International version of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comic books. So, if they are using that as a basis for the show, then it is possible then that they are trying for a more global story arc? They have been "rebuilding" S.H.I.E.L.D.. It is possible there are more S.H.I.E.L.D. teams which will probably be addressed in the upcoming Civil War movie. They showed the superhuman prison.

Mini update: Apparently, they are reshooting some scenes for the Suicide Squad to make it "more fun". The reshoots are reported to be very expensive. Does this mean they are reshooting most of the movie?

Gambit is in trouble. Reportedly the current director is in talks to go do another movie. Apprently there is trouble on the set.

If only any of that news was surprising...

I disliked how SHIELD was just completely disbanded and hunted by the military, and they've spent almost two seasons now being illegitimate (how are they still being funded, was that ever explained?) I'd rather they be reestablished officially already. SHIELD was already supposed to be international, at least in the movies, even if their headquarters was in the U.S. because they had jurisdiction in so many foreign places, it never made sense for the 'H' to stand for 'Homeland'.

SapphireStar

There have been numerous S.H.I.E.L.D. variants around the world in the comics, plus the ones which dealt with interdimensional and intergalatic threats. I guess they went with S.H.I.E.L.D. because it is more widely known within the comic world and fans know who they are. First season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was good, these past two, have been okay. They're still dealing with Hydra cells, now Ward 2.0 aka HIVE plus the Inhumans. The tv show could explore so much more that the movies haven't and bring in so many more characters. There seems to now be a sort of disconnect between Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 02, 2016, 08:00:53 PM
There have been numerous S.H.I.E.L.D. variants around the world in the comics, plus the ones which dealt with interdimensional and intergalatic threats. I guess they went with S.H.I.E.L.D. because it is more widely known within the comic world and fans know who they are. First season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was good, these past two, have been okay. They're still dealing with Hydra cells, now Ward 2.0 aka HIVE plus the Inhumans. The tv show could explore so much more that the movies haven't and bring in so many more characters. There seems to now be a sort of disconnect between Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the movies.

I feel like the disconnect was always there, mainly because of the movies' refusal to acknowledge Coulson's revival. So many people connected to the Avengers know it, it's annoying that he's supposedly blacklisted from ever reappearing even though he's now more important than ever to the universe they're building.

SapphireStar

It's almost like the studio executives for the movies have totally forgotten about Coulson, and the fact that season one of the show tied into the movie universe during events of Winter Soldier. Pretty much everyone associated with Avengers knows he is alive. Maria Hill. Lady Sif, etc. The actor who plays Coulson even expressed interest in returning to the movies. Though with the Inhumans movie coming up, will the Inhumans they established so far on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. make their appearance in the movie?

Speaking of the movies, a bombshell was dropped. Apparently, Tom Hiddelstein said that Thor: Ragnarok may be his last movie as Loki. Loki was pretty much the only reason to watch Thor.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 02, 2016, 09:40:07 PM
It's almost like the studio executives for the movies have totally forgotten about Coulson, and the fact that season one of the show tied into the movie universe during events of Winter Soldier. Pretty much everyone associated with Avengers knows he is alive. Maria Hill. Lady Sif, etc. The actor who plays Coulson even expressed interest in returning to the movies. Though with the Inhumans movie coming up, will the Inhumans they established so far on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. make their appearance in the movie?

Speaking of the movies, a bombshell was dropped. Apparently, Tom Hiddelstein said that Thor: Ragnarok may be his last movie as Loki. Loki was pretty much the only reason to watch Thor.

Didn't Chris Evans say something similar about Captain America? I wouldn't take these kind of things at face value. They know how popular Loki is (one of the only villains with any staying power) so at least up through Infinity War, I wouldn't worry about recasting stuff.

I think since they pushed it to after Infinity War (bonehead move, in my opinion), the Inhumans movie will be focused on the royal family and not the 'newborn' ones on AoS. Black Bolt, Medusa, and if my cartoons aren't inaccurate, the kingdom of Attilan. But why shouldn't there be more integration? Especially with the Netflix shows now that Daredevil has
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
his signature billy club/grappling hook that I've been waiting for him to get since season 1.

RubySlippers

I've got some hope for the genre with Batman vs Superman, it was a great film in one key area it took the most risks and to me scored.

Batman is a true badass and anti-hero and went into the muck with the scum he fights.

Superman was a bit depowered no x-ray vision or so far super breath or freezing breath and he is now vulnerable to two things kryptonite and magic (wonder woman could hurt Doomsday she can hurt him with her magic weapon so it seems other magic can hurt him). And he is emotionally vulnerable and a lot of people don't trust him unlike the boy scout earlier versions and why should people trust him any more than Batman? WW at least was a legend of good with a long track record and fought for the Allies in WW2 so the government likely would trust her but why Superman?

WW was awesome not brute force she was agile, quick, precise and a mistress of war backed by magic and was the moral one of the three who gave perspective and I want to see her in her own movie and The Suicide Squad the Leto Joker looks interesting.

Hell I wish other superhero movies would be bold and go here is the hero and now lets make him or her different and change things, and try something different. I just think this movie was to mature for the Avenger fans to handle you have to think and look at these characters in new ways as the movies come out and the world builds up.

TheGlyphstone

You sound a lot like the director himself, who believes the only reason fans don't adore his movie is that they can't handle him "growing up with their character".

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/superman/253989/zack-snyder-doubles-down-on-his-superman-vision

mia h

Having seen Kevin Smith's review of BvS (http://www.smodcast.com/) I agree with about 99% of what he says about the movie. The movie is bleak, there is exactly zero hope, there is no joy and it's way hardcore comic book geeks have been asking for forever. But gotta agree with Glypstone that Snyder is an ass, he said some unpleasent things about Martian Manhunter in the past and nobody should be allowed to be rude about Mr. Biscuits

Mathim

Well some characters are iconic for a certain reason, not simply because of their skills or abilities but what they choose to do with them, so Snyder really is naive if he thinks there should be no conflict with his decisions.

CaptainNexus616

You know I am all for changing things around as long as it makes sense and still produces a good story.

Look in comparison to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and their comic counterparts before that movie was made. I'm one of those people who like the movie version of the Avengers better than their comic versions with all the Hero vs. Hero crap they do regularly at this point.

HOWEVER that said Snyder really needs to watch his tongue. You don't want to go saying bad things to the groups your wanting to promote this stuff to see. Even then I am not agreeing with some changes being done that he has a hand in.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Far eyes

Snyder needs a really good actual director, a really good script guy and a lady with a long slender riding crop they would all have a job to make him focus on the visuals and leave the parts he is shit at to others.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 05, 2016, 11:00:46 PM
You know I am all for changing things around as long as it makes sense and still produces a good story.

Look in comparison to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and their comic counterparts before that movie was made. I'm one of those people who like the movie version of the Avengers better than their comic versions with all the Hero vs. Hero crap they do regularly at this point.

HOWEVER that said Snyder really needs to watch his tongue. You don't want to go saying bad things to the groups your wanting to promote this stuff to see. Even then I am not agreeing with some changes being done that he has a hand in.

You'd think with how Josh Trank reacted to fans over his vision of the Fantastic Four, Snyder would have been more cautious than that.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on April 05, 2016, 07:32:06 PM
Well some characters are iconic for a certain reason, not simply because of their skills or abilities but what they choose to do with them, so Snyder really is naive if he thinks there should be no conflict with his decisions.
Anyone who puts Jimmy Olsen into a Superman movie, shoots the character in the head five minutes later and doesn't expect any kind of conflict is an idiot or an arrogant prick or both.

CaptainNexus616

While Trank has no room to talk.

Guys like Snyder and Bay can laugh because in the end they got what they came for. Money. They can laugh all the way to the bank and won't care about the product.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 06, 2016, 01:18:10 PM
While Trank has no room to talk.

Guys like Snyder and Bay can laugh because in the end they got what they came for. Money. They can laugh all the way to the bank and won't care about the product.

The key difference is that Bay knows he's making schlock (or is at least willing to laugh at himself about it). I don't think he's ever confused his movies for grand artistry, or claimed that Transformers fans hate his movies because he's made the characters grow up.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on April 06, 2016, 08:43:52 AM
Anyone who puts Jimmy Olsen into a Superman movie, shoots the character in the head five minutes later and doesn't expect any kind of conflict is an idiot or an arrogant prick or both.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Oh and incidentally, while Michael Bay's schlock does make bank, Snyder's latest isn't looking so hot, so things may get rocky for the future of the DCEU...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265