Art peoples...

Started by Oniya, July 13, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I'm trying to lift a figure from the background it's on.  Might put it on another one, might not.  Problem is, the figure and the background are both dark, making my usual 'magic wand' tricks almost useless.

Any advice?  Don't be afraid to go technical - I am strong in the ways of Google-fu.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on July 13, 2012, 07:10:34 PM
I'm trying to lift a figure from the background it's on.  Might put it on another one, might not.  Problem is, the figure and the background are both dark, making my usual 'magic wand' tricks almost useless.

Any advice?  Don't be afraid to go technical - I am strong in the ways of Google-fu.  ;D

Have you attempted tubing by eraser? Takes a while, but, depending the control, gives the best results.

Could you show me the image?

Kuroneko

Erasing is a great way to make the surounding area lighter, and then you can magnetic lasso it. Or, you can change the entire background color to something lighter first, and then lasso it. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Saerrael

Quote from: Kuroneko on July 13, 2012, 07:31:33 PM
Erasing is a great way to make the surounding area lighter, and then you can magnetic lasso it. Or, you can change the entire background color to something lighter first, and then lasso it.

Laying a coloured layer behind your img would be handier. If you make a mistake then, you can fix it easier. At least, that's how I experienced it.

jouzinka

I'm not sure what your PSP can do, Oni. :-\

You can try to lighten the image via Levels or Curves overall, extract the figure from that, then use the extracted thing to make a selection on the dark image with the magic wand.

You can try to find a better quality image via tineye.com (or google) - maybe it won't be so dark. If they're both really dark, I would probably go with either eraser or masks that can be painted and re-painted over in case you make mistakes and sort of estimate where things should go. ;D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Kuroneko

Quote from: Saerra on July 13, 2012, 07:34:38 PM
Laying a coloured layer behind your img would be handier. If you make a mistake then, you can fix it easier. At least, that's how I experienced it.

Good point  :-)
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

Quote from: Saerra on July 13, 2012, 07:27:08 PM
Have you attempted tubing by eraser? Takes a while, but, depending the control, gives the best results.

Could you show me the image?

http://www.iballer.com/wallpaper/celebs/n_q/nichols/images/nichols1_800x600_jpg.jpg

The loose shirt looks like the shadows will just take large chunks out of it when I try to muck with it.

Quote from: Kuroneko on July 13, 2012, 07:31:33 PM

My concern is that the 'background' color is close enough to the 'foreground' that it might bleed in. 

Quote from: jouzinka on July 13, 2012, 07:47:10 PM
I'm not sure what your PSP can do, Oni. :-\

You can try to lighten the image via Levels or Curves overall, extract the figure from that, then use the extracted thing to make a selection on the dark image with the magic wand.

You can try to find a better quality image via tineye.com (or google) - maybe it won't be so dark. If they're both really dark, I would probably go with either eraser or masks that can be painted and re-painted over in case you make mistakes and sort of estimate where things should go. ;D

I also have GIMP, and I can be remarkably stubborn with digital stuff (I've been known to work at the pixel level.)  I will be looking for a better contrast pic as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on July 13, 2012, 08:36:20 PM
http://www.iballer.com/wallpaper/celebs/n_q/nichols/images/nichols1_800x600_jpg.jpg

Good God, woman, you know how to pick your challenges.

I'd suggest to roughly mask, first, cut out, work from there with a fine eraser and keep a lightened copy of that image at hand. Either on a low opacity layer or in another window.

Oniya

:-\  *nods*  It'll be worth it.  I might still be able to find a better contrast copy elsewhere, but once I can get rid of that background, the rest will require very little changing.  I'll see what effect Levels and Curves have on it as well (just have to reboot before I even get started with it - played with too many memory hogs today.)

Beguile's Mistress

Here is the same image but a tad lighter.  I don't know if it will help.

http://www.iballer.com/malecelebs/nichols/images/n3_jpg.jpg

Saerrael

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 13, 2012, 08:54:59 PM
Here is the same image but a tad lighter.  I don't know if it will help.

http://www.iballer.com/malecelebs/nichols/images/n3_jpg.jpg

That version is most definitely better. You can actually see his ARM there.

Oniya

Psi

Make sure you mask, and apply any erasing to the mask, with a bright background layer.

As you erase the mask, you are leaving what you want.  If you make a mistake just paint back into the mask to bring back sections.  These may have been erased well past your undo history, or even after you have saved.

Oniya

With the updated picture from BeMi, I'm having a lot better luck.  I do subscribe to the 'Sane Early and Often' mantra, and I'd say he's about 90% free from the background at this point.  I'll be sure to post results when it's done.  ^_^  Thanks all!

Beguile's Mistress

Good that it's working for you and I'm anxious to see the results when you have them. ;D

Argleblather

Rainbow Writer
A/A updated 3.31.2020. Discord: Argleblather#0643