Fantasy Roleplay Interest Check [System, Custom World, UN]

Started by Myrleena, November 08, 2009, 12:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrleena

Okay, since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm looking at starting a new game using a system that I only recently acquired, Anima: Beyond Fantasy.  But first, a few notes for those who haven't played with me before.

A) In ShamshielDF's words: "You're an evil bitch."
B) I don't hold someone's hand through gameplay.  I'll help with rules and character creation, but I will only really respond to a player's actions.
C) If you want to interact with other players, you have to arrange it with them.  I won't force people together, but my one requirement is that people not kill other Player Characters.

Now, as for the Setting.  And I should repeat, this is an interest thread.  If I get enough, I'll run it.  Those who know the game system, I'm changing a few rules, and predominantly I'm only allowing humans.  If I allow other races, I'm building them myself and using my own rules.

Vaerdan

To the north is air, the world slowly giving way to mountains, and then to islands of earth and life that float through the sky.  If one goes far enough, there is nothing but the endless sky itself, and no earth or stars to guide them.  To the south lies earth.  Mountains, metals, and gems lie here, slowly growing denser and denser, until one wonders when they've entered the cavernous bones of the earth itself, until there is naught but earth.  To the east is fire.  Warm tropics give way to deserts, and should one go far enough, they will encounter the endless seas of fire and sulfur that none can truly survive.  In contrast, to the west is water.  Islands slowly give way to the eternal seas that stretch into eternity.

But in the center of the world is the Witchwood.  Oh, not all of the world is so elementally aligned, and there is a huge continent spanning the world, but the Witchwood is at the center of it.  A deep, dark forest hundreds of miles across, it is an enigma to all.  Some explore it safely, others never return from it.  Monsters come forth on occasion, and flicking motes of light slowly drift below its boughs.  It is said that there is a tower in the center of the forest that once stretched to the heavens themselves, giving access to the elements from above.  But none have seen it in over a millennium, and it is fading into myth.  Some say that the tower has fallen, and that the increase of monsters is because some dark force has taken the forest.

On the eastern edge of the Witchwood is the city of Silverdusk.  Large, but without some of the prejudices that the cities farther from the Witchwood have.  Many craftsmen stay here, for this is the place where the rarest materials in the world could be found.  If one was willing to take the risks involved in living in such a region.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. ^_^

Treena

~runs in hugs myrleena then runs out leaveing a note.~
sorry i stoped posting in queens cell. i lost my muse for it and then had a lot of things go on. hope this one goes better for you luv.

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

Thorn14

Definately needed an excuse to learn this system.

And now I have one.

schnookums

Well, I don't know the system but I'd like to express tentative interest in this game nonetheless.

Myrleena

Hehe.  Well, I'm glad I've got some interest, but I'll give a summary of the system.

Anima is a Percentile based system, with Attributes that range from 1 to 10 most of the time, and the scale goes up to 20 with the appropriate advantages, which almost anyone can achieve, given time.  It does have Classes, like D&D, however they aren't as hard-locked as D&D of any flavor.  Instead, your class tells you how much it costs to buy any given ability with your character's Development points.  A Wizard, for example, has a multiplier of 3 in Attack, while a Warrior has a 2.  So it would take 30 Development points to get a +10 in Attack for the Wizard, yet only 20 DP for the Warrior.

The style of the system is interesting as well.  It was made by European and Japanese game designers, and they tried to meld a number of game styles.  There are Ki techniques that you can learn, allowing you to pull anything from the incredibly fast martial arts master to the types of attacks from the most ridiculous anime.  Seriously, one of their example techniques allows you to fire off a Dragon's Breath attack that vaporizes a 300 foot radius.  Ki techniques are the only type of 'magic' in the book that you can build and customize yourself.

They also have magic, but it takes time to use.  There are 11 magic Paths, and the easiest way to learn spells is to take high ranks in one of the Paths.  Unfortunately, you have a maximum number of Magic Levels for Paths based on your Intelligence, so you can't have everything.  But you can also spend Magic Levels to pick and choose whatever spells you want, but it's more expensive than taking the Paths.

Third is Summoning.  This allows you to call magical creatures to you, bind them, banish them, and hopefully allow you to control them in combat.  The most powerful summoners are frightening to behold, and some can even summon ancient dragons to them.  But the summoner had best have a silver tongue, because such dragons are immune to any magical attempt to control them.  Not the choice I would recommend for starting players, really.

Fourth is Psionics.  Psionics is much like the classic examples one sees in movies and TV.  Telekinetics, Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis, Body Enhancement, and so forth.  It is extraordinarily useful if used right, but like all the other forms of magic, has its weaknesses.

Overall the system is very much a Sword & Sorcery feel, with magical items few and far between, and a person who is a master of their sword can be a deadly threat to a mage at any level.

schnookums

Well, I'm checking out the book now to learn a bit more of the system, am still intrigued.

Myrleena

Cool.  One more person, and it'll be enough for me to post character creation rules.

thebobmaster

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Myrleena

Okay, let's get the rules out there, then.

Characters will be starting at Level 1.
You have 60 points to split between your Attributes base, which is going to invalidate a number of Advantages.
The Creation Point cost of The Gift is only 1 point, rather than 2 points.

Also, due to how incredibly nasty combat can get, I'm adding something called Fate Points.  They function as follows.

You receive 2 Fate Points at Level 1, and 2 at each level after that.
You may spend 4 Fate Points as you level to purchase 1 Creation Point.
You may spend 1 Fate Point to do one of the following: Avoid death, Negate a botch, or Roll again and add the die total to your first roll.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Katina Tarask

*Is tempted to make her first character ever a summoner.*

I, too, am in the, "I've never played before ever but I want to learn," category.  I'll dust off the book and see what I can unravel, though a big group hand-holding session through character creation may be helpful.

Edit: I'm guessing the 60 points are as if we'd rolled a total of 60 in characteristic generation method 4 (page 009)?

Myrleena

Yep.  I don't want to do rolls for Attributes, because that's too swingy.

I personally love the look of a summoner, but the PDF that I've gotten my hands on is missing several pages of the creature creation page.  I suspect that's what people will be using, which means that any creatures not in the book will have to be created by me, with my hardcopy.  But I'm game to help.  Also, if people need help, I'm usually around on my IM accounts under my profile.

Also...RUN, ITS THE TARRASQUE!!!! *flees*

Katina Tarask

Well, I am drawn to magic, but perhaps summoning will be too complicated for a first attempt.

Which form of magic would you say is simplest?  Which has the least complications in actual use?

*Doth TPK.*

Aha!  Thoust flee, yet thou dost not fly.  Thou art mine.

Thou.

thebobmaster

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Myrleena

Unfortunately, there is not that I know of.  I know there are a few torrents kicking around, but I don't know of any online listings of the rules.  If you can't find one, I'll see what I can dig up.

Katina: The easiest form of magic uses The Gift.  Which Path you go for is up to you, but it's surprisingly adaptable.

Katina Tarask

4chan > /rs is often a good source.

So, I take The Gift, pick a geeky class (I'll say Wizard for genericness), and they should get along swimmingly (or as 'swimmingly' as a first time in this system's liable to go)?

Myrleena

Pretty much.  You have to have The Gift to cast spells, and the Wizard is the best Class for a pure mage, I think.  Though Warlock looks fun.

Katina Tarask

Lessee.  Wizard with The Gift (minimum of one point's worth of disadvantage required as a counterbalance), and up to two more points in advantages/disadvantages.

Strength seems unimportant to me.  Agility, Dexterity, and Constitution seem fairly important for me for purposes of health and initiative, plus other benefits (I'm not sure how important fatigue is to me, nor how much movement is in my best interests to have).  Willpower and Perception don't seem to have tremendous immediate relevance.  Intelligence is my primary characteristic.  Power... I'm not entirely sure how it affects me.  It looks more like a summoner thing, which isn't really me, though maybe I should take a bit in case I want to dabble in summoning later.

This book seems to have a great deal of flipping about.  Plus charts.  Lots and lots of charts.

Myrleena

Actually, you automatically have 3 Creation Points to start with.  I'm sure its in the core rules somewhere...I'll find it later.

Fatigue is important.  If you fall to 4 points or less in it, you start taking penalties on rolls.  Willpower can be important as well, but yeah.  And for a caster Power is key.  Intelligence tells you how many spells you can learn, but Power determines your Magic Accumulation, which is how fast you gather Zeon(mana) for spells, and how much you recover per day.  Power also determines how much Zeon you have base.

Katina Tarask

Ah, alright, so Power and Intelligence are my primary stats.

I'd seen the core rules, though the wording was such that I couldn't tell if it was three points free, with another three in reach through disadvantages, or if it was a zero sum deal where you have to balance every advantage with an equal disadvantage.

Myrleena

*nods*

Yeah, it was a bit confusing.  The situation is this.  You get 3 Creation Points for free, and you may take up to 3 Disadvantages.  If you really wanted to, I suppose you could get another 9 Creation Points out of that, but I'm pretty sure the character would be crippled.

Myrleena

Okay, I'll try to get a sample Character Sheet up later, but I'm going to be out of town all day today.  I highly recommend looking for a character sheet online and printing it out to use for reference as well.

Also, something I forgot.  All characters start with 25 GC with which to buy everything they own unless you take the advantage that gives you more money.

Myrleena

Okay, I'm home, but completely fragged.  Sorry, but I'll try to get things up tonight or tomorrow, as I can.

Chloe Milev

Hmm, Anima looked like an interesting system.  I was thinking a summoner with Creation magic looked good, and noticed the level 80 Creation spell Chimera (available with 10 Intelligence and Natural Knowledge of a Path) lets you turn into a supernatural being.  If one did that, would they recalculate all their ability scores based on how many development points they wanted to spend?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Myrleena

Nope.  You modify things from there.  And you have to buy things like Inhumanity and such to get really high attributes.

Chloe Milev

So if your human body had 5 Strength, you would keep that, unless you spend 6 DP (according to Chapter 26, Table 81) to modify it to 6, correct?  It also looked like the spell only did the ability scores and Essential Abilities.  That doesn't include Powers, like attacks and movement, does it?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas