I don't post in here like ever, but this is ridiculous.

Started by Karma, December 06, 2009, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

I dunno, real people generally don't have a bunch of crazy people trying to kill them for things like

a) political views
b) personal views
c) because it would make them famous.

Farmboy

I hope nobody was intent on convincing me of anything. All I read is that someone thinks differently from me. Well, that's OK. I'm just being realistic. We need to stop polluting as much as we do. People need to breath the air, drink the water, and farm the soil. So we need our world leaders, whether they are riding in limos or not, to set some goals and accomplish them. I'm not likely to change on that, as I am a cantankerous old man who is set in his ways.

And I repeat, if I were rich or powerful, I would HAVE to ride in a limo. First because I am sick of driving, but second because of the bulletproof glass.

Will

I wasn't aware that all limos were bulletproof.  I also wasn't aware that any other car couldn't be made bulletproof.

It's also not just government officials at this thing, making the massive carbon footprint that was mentioned (the size of a city by itself).  It's also celebrities, traveling in much the same fashion.  The whole thing is just business, a reality reinforced by the fact that large parts of the article were about the event's impact on the local economy.  If this were really about environmental change and getting something done (and not a vacation/festival/party), they would be teleconferencing.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Aislin on December 23, 2009, 08:23:48 AM
And I repeat, if I were rich or powerful, I would HAVE to ride in a limo. First because I am sick of driving, but second because of the bulletproof glass.

Ah, so it was a requirement of self, not a requirement of the class.  Personally, I'd probably hide up in my penthouse apartment, running my empire through intermediaries until people weren't even sure I was really there or not.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Farmboy

Actually, as I understand it, the whole argument is that we should be freaking out about what kind of cars people drive and damn the whole enterprise as hypocrisy. So it is, in my opinion, an attempt by the opposition to characterize the whole environmental movement as a sham. And given that, I refuse to be sucked in. They are acting like it's bad to be rich, but it is the international megacorps that are funding the anti-environmental propaganda. So it's really a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Therefore, my reply is, "So what? World leaders ride limos. Is that any reason not to have a Climate Change Conference? The water, air, and soil that we use daily must be kept clean. Stop raising red herrings."

Make sense now?

Will

Unfortunately, I think it really IS a sham.  The article in the first post is about more than just limos and planes; there are many other factors that chip away at my respect for the conference, and the entire process in general for that matter.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

ShrowdedPoet

Got a point there T.  But if I was a celeb or leader that didn't want to be shot at I wouldn't call attention to myself by acting special.  I'd put bullet proof glass in my small fuel efficient vehicle. 

As for the environmental stuff.  I'm not against being more eco friendly.  I am against do as I say not as I do bullshit.  They could teleconference and save the environment better.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs