Airships and Antiquities: OOC Thread

Started by Trieste, October 18, 2012, 11:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

They say that the  Ida Leigh is cursed. She's been sailing the skies for nearly a hundred years now, and she's been found more than once adrift amongst the clouds. A ghost ship with neither crew nor cargo to be found. Sailors talk amongst themselves, of course, and the legend has it that the ship started out as a pirate ship. She might not be much to look at and she may not be the fastest bird in the sky, no, but she's got some armorsides that can take a beating and carry enough firepower to bring down the Queen's entire Armada, she does. So she flew the skies as a pirate ship, she did, and made a fine living. The Captain of the ship, her name's been lost to the years, but she was a mean old witch of a woman. She took more than her fair cut, saying it was her right and her responsibility as the leader. Well, that didn't sit too well with her crew. They formed a round robin and sore to throw her overboard the next chance they got. The chance came, and the mutineers threw her over like they meant to.

It wasn't long after that a stench followed the ship. It listed to one side in high winds, and it rattled something fierce. The mutineers, who had divided their murdered Captain's booty among them, started seeing strange things on the ship. They could swear they saw her wandering about at night, or standing at the top deck by the wheel, watching. One by one they went mad, and by the time the
  Ida Leigh pulled into port again, they were all dead on deck. Their eyes had been pecked out by the birds, even, so they seemed to stare at you all the time. And hanging in the rigging below the sip, caught in the ropes, was what was left of their Captain. She'd gotten herself tangled in the ship itself, see, and had time to curse each and every man before she starved to death, mad with pain from the fall. Hard to find a crew with the stomach to run a haunted boat, but sometimes a sailor's gotta take work that doesn't ask too many questions...

Hung in the city square in a prominent place is a notice for all to see. By the time it's been seen by enough people to gather some interest, it's a little weathered. Its parchment is battered around the edges, and some of the words are worn. Not enough of them, however, to obfuscate the message written in brilliant green ink: Attention: Experienced ship captain seeks crew for cargo transport. Pay dependent on delivery, split all ways. Departs in one week from Shearsdale docks. Enquire berth nine.

Roles

• Crew Members - Honest folk just looking for work.
    Mutineers - Not-so-honest folk looking to keep the cargo for themselves, if it's good enough. Will be working to eliminate everyone else to win the game.
    Chirurgeon - Having made a mistake and fallen gravely out of favor in the city, the chirurgeon just wants to blend in with the crew members and get to where the ship is going. However, the chirurgen will have the opportunity to save one person from the Mutineers at a time of the chirurgeon's choice.
    Detective - Heard the legend of the cursed boat and has decided to go undercover to find out if the rumors are true. Can investigate one person per night and get a yes or no answer as to whether they are a plain ol' crew member. Nothing more, nothing less. Knows who the Chemist is, however.
    Greenhorn - A brand new sailor on their first voyage. Has thrown in with the Mutineers, but the Greenhorn seems so harmless that they are at no point revealed to be a Mutineer. No one would believe it anyway.
    Chemist - Has accompanied the Detective on this wild chase after a haunted ship, which sounds bloody mad in all honesty, but the Chemist is there and by Jove, they'll see it through. Can choose one other player to eliminate during any night-time round (with SCIENCE, of course). Knows who the Detective is.
    Pirate - Is good at talking people into things, like. Has that way about them that makes people want to believe, see. Can choose any other player (aside from the Greenhorn or Mutineers, of course) during any night round to convert into a Mutineer.
    Simulacrum - Looks like a person, talks like a person, but isn't a real person. They are a likeness of a person made out of cogs, wheels, and the vague desire to eventually become a real boy. Or girl. Is mostly immune at night - not affected by Mutineer attacks, or the Pirate.
House Rules

• The Mutineers won't find out who one another are until the second night, instead of the first. This makes the election of the 'sheriff' role a little more random, and a little more fun for me. ;)
  • I'll probably be looking for anywhere from 15 to 25 players for this.
  • I'll make a more comprehensive list when I'm more awake, and before the game starts.
Who's interested?

• Saffron
  • Kazyth
  • Starlequin
  • Ryven
  • Cyrano Johnson
  • Beguile's Mistress
  • Mithlomwen
  • Luna
  • James Moriarty
  • ThatRPGuy
  • SunshineSparkle
  • Sarena
  • Lord Mayerling
  • Remiel
  • Niferbelle
  • Kendra
  • That Girl Analise
  • Valerian
  • Falanor
  • Mr Bigglesworth
  • Moirae
  • Kyrsa
  • The Last Standing

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Kazyth

... IN!  So in!

Haven't played one of these games in ages!

*also hijacks Saffron's /first, to get into the spirit of the thing*
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Starlequin

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Ryven

Cyrano Johnson

Airships! Huzzah!

Interested for the Simulacrum.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Beguile's Mistress

Count me in please.  My first steampunk.  Yay!

Mithlomwen

I've never done steampunk either.  Count me in! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Teo Torriatte

If you guys don't mind having someone who is a total newb at this kind of game, I would love to give it a shot!

Trieste

Quote from: Luna on October 19, 2012, 02:51:48 PM
If you guys don't mind having someone who is a total newb at this kind of game, I would love to give it a shot!

Everyone was a newb once, c'mon aboard. :)

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on October 19, 2012, 11:03:29 AM
Airships! Huzzah!

Interested for the Simulacrum.

Cool! The roles will be assigned randomly but maybe you'll score it!

James Moriarty

Galactic Druid

Steampunk?! Yes please! Count me in, Trie!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

SunshineSparkle

O&O    A&A    Avatars

Sarena

I'd definitely be interested. :)  Although, my experience with steampunk leaves a little to be desired.
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Lord Mayerling

Remiel

I love Steampunk.  I love Mafia games.  How can I possibly refuse?

Niferbelle

Kendra

ok it's been forever since I played in a mafia and I've been aching to get my teeth into some steampunk ;)

I'll give it whirl :)

That Girl Analise

Galactic Druid

I'd like to take a moment to call dibs on the position of the ship's cook. Thank you!

Ryven

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on October 20, 2012, 03:46:54 AM
I'd like to take a moment to call dibs on the position of the ship's cook. Thank you!

*glares*  One cook for 15 - 25 people?  You'll kill yourself.  I will be in the kitchen as well.

Valerian

I'll take a spot if there's still room.  :)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Falanor

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Ryven on October 20, 2012, 09:09:51 AM
*glares*  One cook for 15 - 25 people?  You'll kill yourself.  I will be in the kitchen as well.

*votes* I think Ryven is a mutineer!   :P I kid, I kid...

I imagine That Lovely Girl Analise will want a spot in the kitchen as well, we could all work together!  ^^

You know, I've never done a chef in a steampunk setting before. I'll bet we could come up with all manner of unique appliances in that setting.

Hey Trie, is this going to be more of an Eberron/Miyazaki kind of steampunk where magic is a big part of society and technology, or a more realistic route, where it's all steam tech and industry? Either way is fine with me, it just determines how crazy my culinary contraptions will be.

Ryven

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on October 20, 2012, 09:43:24 AM
*votes* I think Ryven is a mutineer!   :P I kid, I kid...

I imagine That Lovely Girl Analise will want a spot in the kitchen as well, we could all work together!  ^^

You know, I've never done a chef in a steampunk setting before. I'll bet we could come up with all manner of unique appliances in that setting.

Hey Trie, is this going to be more of an Eberron/Miyazaki kind of steampunk where magic is a big part of society and technology, or a more realistic route, where it's all steam tech and industry? Either way is fine with me, it just determines how crazy my culinary contraptions will be.

*snerks*  I want an automaton made out of a commercial stand mixer ^-^