News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

I got gas today...

Started by Trieste, July 28, 2008, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

... at 3.79 a gallon. It's been hovering around 4.10+ here for weeks. Did I miss another gouging investigation from the governor?

A truce in the Middle East?

wtfcakes?

Sherona

Gas here in Oklahoma dropped by 35 cents too. But we just opened up about 20 Old wells that before were considered too costly to upgrade and maintain...only getting 10-46 barrels a day but still its helping.

Maeven

Oil dropped by like, 16 dollars a barrel at the end of the week before last... and then hurricane Dolly didn't hit the oil rigs in Texas... biggest drop in 25 years; of course, its still higher than its ever been but I suspect that that's why you are seeing the reflection at the pump.

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Trieste

Yes, well, I thought they stopped making excuses for the high prices a while ago. First it was that Katrina shut down refineries. Then it was war in the Middle East. Now they just sort of hike it and don't bother to make excuses. So I wondered what brought it down so significantly.

Here's hoping that that trend continues. *fingers crossed*

Maeven

Quote from: Trieste on July 28, 2008, 06:39:51 PM
Yes, well, I thought they stopped making excuses for the high prices a while ago. First it was that Katrina shut down refineries. Then it was war in the Middle East. Now they just sort of hike it and don't bother to make excuses. So I wondered what brought it down so significantly.

I think a great deal of the problem is that the real estate market tanked in the US so all the ultra rich investors pulled their money out of property and started buying stock in oil and gas... driving the price of the stock up and consequently the price of a barrel of oil.  Someone with more knowledge of the stock market may can comment on that... but that's sorta what I gather from the news/internet stuff I waste time reading. I don't really understand 'futures' and all that but... *shrug*

The Cardinal Rule

Lithos

Also the oil supply on the ground is replenishing in cycle of more like millions of years, can just as well consider the supply finite. As it gets less and less there is only one direction the price will go in the end, up.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Sabby

My solution. Lay down rubber on all the roads, hang some wire over it and then we can all just use bumper cars.

Cutter

THAT would make my commute much more fun. ;D

I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Trieste

Oh god, but then people would hear me yelling at them when I drive...

"Yeah, s'right, Rhode Island! You make that turn, you make it right now! I have brakes, right?"

"What are you doing, Delaware?!"

Yeah...

Although, when I pulled into the gas station yesterday, some guy was in his car dropping the f-bomb at some other guy through his window, audible all across the lot. I got out of my car and said, "What the hell are you cursing at? Stop it, dude." He just looked at me.

I'm going to get shot one of these days. :P

Cutter

Yeah-you might want to kinda hold back a bit once in a while.

Never know. :)
I am the Dark Unspoken that dwells within, weighted by the chains of your preconceptions. Release me and I shall release you.

My On's and Off's :

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13915.0

Lithos

Power of road rage is awesome, its better to stay on the sidelines :P
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Trieste

This was its lame little brother, parking lot rage. :P

Kalen

No, no, no... Road Rage.

Parking lot Rage?  That won't do.

Now, Parking Lot Pissy, that works.

Maeven

I can yell and scream all I want at about 65% of the people that live down here and they won't understand one damn word of it.

Except... Fuck. I'm pretty sure that's universally understood. 

[/hijack]

The Cardinal Rule

Kalen

Am I the only one who looks at the title of the thread, and thinks of something else altogether?

Anyone?   Anyone?  Bueller?

On that note,  last time I was in California, I was at a service station/greasy spoon.  Their sign read 'Eat Here & Get Gas!!'

Maeven

Quote from: Kalen on July 30, 2008, 07:55:57 AM
Am I the only one who looks at the title of the thread, and thinks of something else altogether?

Anyone?   Anyone?  Bueller?

On that note,  last time I was in California, I was at a service station/greasy spoon.  Their sign read 'Eat Here & Get Gas!!'

*raises hand*

The Cardinal Rule

National Acrobat

Quote from: Trieste on July 28, 2008, 06:39:51 PM

Speculators and Investors have been told that the demand is not as high, because people are driving less and spending less on gas, so now all that oil that they've been investing in and stockpiling for profit, isn't moving as fast. As with any commodity, that sort of situation drops the value of the item considerably, and I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of oil per barrel continues to drop. Also, the President of OPEC on Monday stated that the world's stockpiled supply is far outweighing demand, and that it would continue to do so since people were driving less.

Greenthorn

It is so nice to not try to make it into Jersey with the little gas light on because of PA's high gas prices...bout damn time they went down!

(err yeah...I did that...gas light went on around Cottman Avenue...and uhhh I putt putted along til I got to Rt42...for anyone who has a clue about I95 and Jersey...-just- to save 8 cents on gas)

Kittii

You know what's sad. We used to go "OMG gas is 1.35! Why won't it drop back down to a dollar? Maybe after the summer..."

Now, we're forced to cheer about 3.90 a gallon because the looming 4.50+ future may be still ahead.  :'(

Maeven

Quote from: Kittii on July 30, 2008, 10:03:57 AM
You know what's sad. We used to go "OMG gas is 1.35! Why won't it drop back down to a dollar? Maybe after the summer..."

Now, we're forced to cheer about 3.90 a gallon because the looming 4.50+ future may be still ahead.  :'(

Isn't that the truth!  It's all in conditioning. I feel like Pavlov's dog. 

The Cardinal Rule

Trieste

Quote from: Kittii on July 30, 2008, 10:03:57 AM

Oh, no. There was still a whole rant about how I found myself rather pleased that it was there. But it was aimed at and then unleashed on a RL friend.

I used to mention to my parents (who voted for Bush both times, wtf parents) that when Bush went into office, gas was under $2 a gallon (I used to have the precise figure before his inauguration - I think it was $1.86, but I don't recall)... but saying that now feels a little bit like kicking a puppy so I don't do it anymore. I've taken a sort of "here endeth" approach lately when chatting politics with my dad. (I like doing it - he has some very good reasons for leaning as he does, and I have the same for leaning as I do in the opposite direction, and I think we both look at it as an exercise in perspective.)

Quote from: Kalen on July 30, 2008, 07:55:57 AM

The pun was intentional. :P

MagicalPen

Indeed! I keep thinking "So that explains the smell...." then i read this thread and refrain sticking Trieste in an airtight room, all by herself...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Lady Annabelle

I got gas on........Tuesday and it costed me like $64.  Of course, I also have a rather bigger car with a bigger tank, so that is probably why it was so much.  But, it costing me $3.65ish was really, really nice.  Thankfully, I live in the MidWest, so it really has never gotten so high.  I don't think we have broken the $4.00 mark, so I am happy about that.  I feel bad for anybody on the coasts who pay close to $5.  That's just insane.

If I had more expenses, I would complain more about the gas.  But, the gas is one of the few things that I buy, so I will just swallow my pride and just take it as it comes.  Also, having a full-time job to pay for it really helps me.

Also, I try to forget the times when I started driving and it costed me $20 to fill up my entire tank.  God, those were the days.  *wipes a single tear*
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Kittii

Wow you must be in the "good" Midwest. lol

I live in Chicago and it's been almost $5.00 a gallon. All of Illinois taxes on oil are expensive but near Wisconsin and Indiana have all been to the 4.00+ marks. To boot, we refine oil in NUMEROUS companies right here on the lake, so you'd think we'd be cheaper. /sigh

Mathim

Quote from: Sabbat on July 29, 2008, 01:46:59 AM
My solution. Lay down rubber on all the roads, hang some wire over it and then we can all just use bumper cars.

Yeah, and since no one ever really gets hurt, no need to pay insurance either!

Or you could all just use a little less gas and ride a bicycle whenever possible. ;)
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).