News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Age of Adventure Redux ...on Roll20.Net?

Started by Inerrant Lust, September 02, 2013, 12:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tengu

Ok, my busy time is beginning to lighten up; I should be able to make a character shortly.

I note, however, that, not counting my character, we seem to be at 1 male and 3 female characters.  Perhaps, being primarily interested in heterosex, I should make my character male, bringing it to a comfortable 2 to 3?  I think I can hammer my warlord concept into a male.  If my count is wrong, I'll go with a half-elf female bard.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, going male would be fine I think.

Kyra doesn't really know much about the other gender, if it helps >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

*Waves*  Still interested and have some time today.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Laughing Hyena

Then get that sexy gal out for us Muse. I know thats what ya love. And that way Tengu gets his male character. So we get a 2 male and 3 female ratio.

Inerrant Lust

I will set up the game on Roll20.net this weekend. Your characters will already have their tokens with a little sheet attached, plus permissions to edit/move... so all you have to do is roll a few dice and move them around. :P

The forum-based part of the game will likely be posted up this weekend as well, but expect to roll initiative probably by the end of my introductory post.  ::)

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on September 18, 2013, 03:35:11 PM
Then get that sexy gal out for us Muse. I know thats what ya love. And that way Tengu gets his male character. So we get a 2 male and 3 female ratio.

Ah... Muse actually talked me into sticking with my female character, a half-elf bard.  I hope that doesn't screw up the ratio too badly!  This is really the one I wanted to go with, though.

I'm, like, 80% done.  Just need gear and 1 feat.  Oh, and a dilettante power.  Right.

EDIT:  Oh, and rituals.  Maybe I should bump that 80% down to 70%... if the first thing that's happening is a fight, though, that'll be ready sooner, as I won't need to have rituals finished.

ShadowFox89

It just means Hyena's guy has the pick of three elf/eladrin/half-elf gals....

Inerrant, did you ever reach a decision on backgrounds and themes?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 18, 2013, 05:13:11 PM
It just means Hyena's guy has the pick of three elf/eladrin/half-elf gals...

Lucky guy!

Hey Inerrant Lust, I actually ran into a little problem.  I was taking the glamorous armor that you invented.  I noticed that for chain, it actually gets worse when you go from +1 to +2.  You lose 1 point of AC, and since the check and speed penalties are already nil at this point, the only positive change is that the weight gets further reduced by half, which is probably not worth the -1 AC.  Maybe make the penalty to AC a flat -4, that doesn't increase with higher bonuses?

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ShadowFox89

We have a warlord, fighter, rogue, wizard, and psion.

So a leader, defender, striker, and 2 controllers.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Flying Tengu

Ok, here's the character sheet so far.  Just need rituals, and to spend my remaining 300g.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=12816

AndyZ

Sounds like you're most likely full up, then.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Laughing Hyena

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Flying Tengu on September 18, 2013, 05:28:14 PM
Lucky guy!

Hey Inerrant Lust, I actually ran into a little problem.  I was taking the glamorous armor that you invented.  I noticed that for chain, it actually gets worse when you go from +1 to +2.  You lose 1 point of AC, and since the check and speed penalties are already nil at this point, the only positive change is that the weight gets further reduced by half, which is probably not worth the -1 AC.  Maybe make the penalty to AC a flat -4, that doesn't increase with higher bonuses?

It's actually more complex than it looks, and difficult to describe... Basically the Armor itself loses 2 AC. You get 1 back from the Enchantment... but also an AC bonus equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (whichever's lower)
In 3.5, this would be much more useful since it could stack with other bonuses. However, in 4e I've decided to make that AC bonus transferrable to Reflex, Fortitude, or Will as a minor action.

So in essence, if you have enough Charisma... the AC that the armor alone provides you is unchanged. You get +1 or +2 from enhancement, but can also transfer 2 or 4 points of AC into your 'saves'

In-universe... the armor might reveal some cleavage or abs, but it compensates by shielding your body with an invisible force. Since 4e no longer has different kinds of defense modifiers, the 'floating bonus' is meant to represent that. Slightly overpowered compared to other enhancements (especially Magic Weapon/Magic Armor), but it's super lore-friendly. :P

Shjade; Use an Estoc! Estoc is Bestoc.  ;D

Shadow; Lore-friendliness isn't required for this test run. :P You can play dovahki- I mean dragonborn and I wouldn't have any problems with it... even though I never factored in 4e races in the setting. ::)

Also I made a mistake on starting gp total; It should be 4,480! ::)

I can work with 6 players... Combat will be extremely slow, though... No matter how much easier Roll20.net makes the actual gaming go, you would have to wait for five other people to check in the website and take an action before I can advance the next turn....

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:27:48 PM
It's actually more complex than it looks, and difficult to describe... Basically the Armor itself loses 2 AC. You get 1 back from the Enchantment... but also an AC bonus equal to your Charisma modifier or +2 (whichever's lower)
In 3.5, this would be much more useful since it could stack with other bonuses. However, in 4e I've decided to make that AC bonus transferrable to Reflex, Fortitude, or Will as a minor action.

Heh, sorry, I'm afraid I still don't get it.  Let me talk through how I see it, and let me know if I'm right.

With Glamorous Chain +1, the chain AC goes from 6 to 4.  However, the armor check penalty goes down by 1, and the speed check penalty goes down by 1, to 0 each.  The +1 improves the AC back to 5.  Then, as long as you have 2 or more charisma, you get an extra +2 to your AC, making it 7 ac, no armor check or speed penalty, half weight, and with a power.  As you say, that's pretty darn good!

With Glamorous Chain +2, the chain AC goes from 6 to 2 (For every step in enchantment, this item reduces the armor bonus of the item by 2).  The armor check penalty and speed check penalty still go down to 0, no change.  You still get 2 from your charisma, and an extra+1 from enhancement, giving a final of 6 AC, no armor check or speed penalty, 1/4 weight, and the same power.  By my reading, you pay more money, lose 1 AC, and get 1/4 off the weight.

Or... do you add 2 to the potential charisma bonus each time, so at the +2 enchantment level you can add up to +4 for charisma?  That IS good.

Anyway, that's how I'm getting confused.  I did go ahead and get the armor anyway, because I want to be sexy, but I figure I must be doing something wrong with either the +1 or the +2  version.  Really, though, it's no big deal since I went ahead and bought the stuff anyway; just let me know if I need to make any change!  And thanks for spending time reading all my questions; hope it's not too much of a bother!

Inerrant Lust

QuoteOr... do you add 2 to the potential charisma bonus each time, so at the +2 enchantment level you can add up to +4 for charisma?  That IS good.

Yes. This. Exactly. :P

I didn't put a third tier to the enchantment since nobody could afford it anyways, but yeah- it would continue to subtract AC until you have no more AC to lose. In fluff, consider each subtraction the loss of more and more coverage until 0 is pretty much a thong and a string bikini. ;) Because this.  ;D

Laughing Hyena

Also I made a mistake on starting gp total; It should be 4,480! ::)

Heheh!!!spending then!

Muse

I have Kumiko started.  Will do more when Andy Z wakes up and can help me again... 

Oh, should I stick with Skill Training, or take a different feat? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Shjade

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:27:48 PM
Shjade; Use an Estoc! Estoc is Bestoc.  ;D

Estoc has all the same problems as the rapier: short range (compared to any spear, all of which are more than twice the range of any thrusting sword and swing at roughly the same speed as the swords), very low damage, extremely narrow hitbox, no extra effects (mainly bleed). They're just really awkward weapons to use compared to a lot of other options in the game.

Hm. Extra 1k gold, eh? I guess I should look into using that.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Shjade on September 18, 2013, 07:19:40 PM
Estoc has all the same problems as the rapier: short range (compared to any spear, all of which are more than twice the range of any thrusting sword and swing at roughly the same speed as the swords), very low damage, extremely narrow hitbox, no extra effects (mainly bleed). They're just really awkward weapons to use compared to a lot of other options in the game.

Hm. Extra 1k gold, eh? I guess I should look into using that.

But you can block and stab simultaneously!

It's up to you, Muse- skill training might be useful but primarily my priority will be on testing combat in the mapviewer. In my games, things like Acrobatics and Endurance can be used aplenty in combat situations if you can come up with the application...

Flying Tengu

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 06:55:54 PM
Yes. This. Exactly. :P

I didn't put a third tier to the enchantment since nobody could afford it anyways, but yeah- it would continue to subtract AC until you have no more AC to lose. In fluff, consider each subtraction the loss of more and more coverage until 0 is pretty much a thong and a string bikini. ;) Because this.  ;D

Ah, ok, gotcha!

Thanks again for explaining it to me.

Shjade

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on September 18, 2013, 07:28:09 PM
But you can block and stab simultaneously!

Which you can also do with a spear at longer range and doing higher damage.

@Shadowfox: he's referencing books and abilities in that which I haven't read and don't know. He talks about how Deft Blade becomes better than Piercing Strike; I have no idea what Deft Blade is.

Thanks for the link, though. I'm fixing some things based on his notes; I didn't realize being proficient with a Parrying Dagger is different from being proficient with Daggers, for instance. -.-

Okay...alright. After some more revising, editing and general cleanup, I think it might be finished and not riddled with errors. Maybe. Possibly.

Sara Chance, the relink for ease of access.
◕/◕'s

ShadowFox89

Yeah, that's the only reason I use CharOps stuff :P

Not to play a minmax'd character, but to not fall into mechanical traps that will be detrimental to the characters/
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Shjade

I was rather pleased to find that, except for the things I was using wrongly (not proficient in the weapons I thought I was proficient in, etc.), I'd pretty much picked either the best options available in the standard PHB or at least abilities that were Good to Recommended in his opinion, so I didn't really change much other than fixing proficiencies and exchanging a couple of abilities for ones that weren't in the PHB. Flash of the Blade* sounded rather appealing, for one, though it's slightly concerning that he didn't mention it at all, suggesting he thinks it isn't a feat worth taking; I'm guessing it's because he'd assume a rogue should never be attacking something that doesn't have an ally adjacent to it. But whatever, it fits the character's flavor perfectly so I pretty much was obligated to take it.

Switched the parrying dagger to just a regular ol' dagger with the parrying weapon enchant on it rather than waste another feat for proficiency with parrying daggers (which is so dumb).

*on the off chance anyone in the thread doesn't know what this does, it's in Dragon Magazine 381 for reference. It's a Rogue-only, Rapier-only feat that enables you to do your Sneak Attack damage any time you do damage with a rapier regardless of whether you have Combat Advantage on the target, as long as no allies are adjacent to it. So it's an anti-flanking sneak attack, basically.
◕/◕'s