Started by HockeyGod, June 06, 2010, 09:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

Situation:

I use the "Show unread posts since last visit" all the time and I am either:

a. going crazy
b. reporting a glitch
c. realizing something that has always happened

When I click the link it is not showing me all the unread posts (i.e., those marked "new") in the Boards I've designated as not-ignore boards.

Question on the functionality: If I go into a Board but NOT a thread that is marked "new" in the Board, does that remove it from the unread posts since last visit? For example, in the Dante's Cove Board there are currently 2 threads marked "new" but they are not showing up in my show unread posts since last visit. Is this because I clicked on that Board?

It would seem I have not noticed this in the past so I am leaning on "b" but I have to admit it could just as easily be "a" or "c."

Suggestion:
Would it be possible to automatically mark new Boards as an ignored default? This might not be possible or might not be logical, but I've noticed many times logging into the site when new boards are created I have to go in and ignore them.

Will

Quote from: alxnjsh on June 06, 2010, 09:21:15 PM
Question on the functionality: If I go into a Board but NOT a thread that is marked "new" in the Board, does that remove it from the unread posts since last visit? For example, in the Dante's Cove Board there are currently 2 threads marked "new" but they are not showing up in my show unread posts since last visit. Is this because I clicked on that Board?

A thread will show up with the little "New" tag if one of its posts has been modified, I believe.  When it does that, it won't show up in your unread replies.  That could be what's happening.  As far as I know, visiting a board will not take that board's threads off of your unread replies.  You have to mark the board as read with the button at the bottom or visit each thread to do that.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

HockeyGod

Quote from: Will on June 06, 2010, 09:45:56 PM
A thread will show up with the little "New" tag if one of its posts has been modified, I believe.  When it does that, it won't show up in your unread replies.  That could be what's happening.

Took me twice to read that and get it...but I finally got it. It made me go "AH-HA!" That's the answer!

Nope...checked the threads I described above, no modifications, just new posts.

Will

Aww.  Well, it does do wonky things sometimes, just for the hell of it. ::) 
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Trieste

Nope, just tested it. I know the Hotbox stays high on the list, so I clicked into adult socializing and viewed it (but not the thread), then tried clicking "show unread posts" and it still showed the Hotbox.

Then I tried logging out and logging back in, then hitting unread posts, and the Hotbox still showed up. So it's possibly completely random.

Do bear in mind that you have a short time after you submit a post to edit it without it saying you edited it, too.