News:

Main Menu

E3

Started by Sabby, June 01, 2009, 10:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Its the best time of the year for us gamers! This is my Christmas and I look forward to it all year round ^___^

So far, the Assassin's Creed 2 trailer is out, but Red Steel 2 is making me drool... and its only day one!

Avi

Mass Effect 2 has a new trailer out as well.  Kinda sparse, but enough to make me get tingles.  Seriously, I can't wait to see Shepard kicking more Geth hind-end.  The AC2 trailer is awesome too.  I have to say that, at the moment, Assassin's Creed is probably my new favorite franchise, especially if they can improve on what worked for the last one (More mission types, more varied assassination techniques, and more true free-roam environments.).
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

E3 is reassuring me of my Wii purchase.

OdinSeraphin

I am excited about Metal Gear Solid. Finally I can play on my 360. I was watching this and talking to my friend, we agreed, this is BAD for Sony, they lost Final Fantasy 13 last year, now metal gear solid. They still have them, but they are also coming to the Xbox, meaning their whole hype about having these exclusive series is running low. Not that the PS3 is a bad machine, but for $399.99(On amazon) for the 80GB and no reverse compatibility for the base unit. With the pro with a 60GB hard drive for $299.99 or the elite with a 120 for $399.99 with Halo 3 and Fable 2, that is a hard thing to over come.

I am not some fanboy saying one is better than the other, I am simply saying that Sony is going to need some SERIOUS exclusive titles to come out. Resistance 1 & 2, Killzone 2, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Uncharted 1 & 2  are good, but Xbox has Halo 1-3, Fable 1 & 2, Gears of War 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Left for Dead 2. That is a serious amount of games to go up against.

I know I used Xbox and 360 games in my argument but I know those games all work on the 360. Sorry to say Sony should be a little smarter and make a real backwards compatibility which they improved in firmware 1.5, BUT Xbox kind of beat them to it with Xbox Orriginals and their backwards compat worked a while ago.

I think however that as a media console on the whole, Xbox is suffering from having chosen HDDVD. Bluray coming with the PS3 is impressive, by all standards. The Xbox has no intention to make one, which will probably hurt them. Their answer is using Netflix streaming, Last FM, and sometimes this is a double edged sword. Yes I can get movies when I want, but I also have nothing physical to say I actually own it. I have no disk that I can hold up and say "I didn't pirate this." So in that aspect. On a media center whole system, PS3 has a great thing to offer, for a little more than a Bluray player, you get both that and the game console. A good buy.

I know I have not talked about the Wii. All jokes aside... I think it's days of competing with X-box and PS3 are numbered. They get the rare games. (Red Steel 2 looks amazing) but with so few non-casual games. It will not have the games it needs to really take Microsoft or Sony on. They make some good games, but I do not think their core fan base will play. Most of the Wii's are TYPICALLY the either very young, or the older set. The few "M" rated games are few and far between. I think that the Wii is a good system, but not something for people who are looking for a system to play more than an exercise game. Wiis had the potential to be great, but I think now they are more just moving into the realm of an interactive exercise machine than a console.

Now I now Xbox is coming out with "Natal" and to that I have only a few words. "SKYNET IS COMING." That demo with Lionhead creeped me out.  The fact that it recognizes voices and subtle changes in voice.... tell me you do not see "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that..." or "Skynet knew almost nothing about Connor's mother.." but it will learn. and if anyone tries to tell me I am paranoid. When Xboxs everywhere come alive and start taking over the world, I will say "I am right.

Finally, I have one last thing to say about 'James Cameron's Avatar'.... Could this man talk any longer? He went on and on, I thought Ubisoft was using him to put me to sleep so they could walk out the side and not show anything. Then when we ask tell us. "We did, but no one seemed to care."

Edit: By the way, Sorry for all the negativity and all that came across. Didn't mean it, I like the systems all, but I did want to get this off my chest.

TheWriter

Quote from: OdinSeraphin on June 01, 2009, 10:54:44 PM
I am excited about Metal Gear Solid. Finally I can play on my 360. I was watching this and talking to my friend, we agreed, this is BAD for Sony, they lost Final Fantasy 13 last year, now metal gear solid. They still have them, but they are also coming to the Xbox, meaning their whole hype about having these exclusive series is running low. Not that the PS3 is a bad machine, but for $399.99(On amazon) for the 80GB and no reverse compatibility for the base unit. With the pro with a 60GB hard drive for $299.99 or the elite with a 120 for $399.99 with Halo 3 and Fable 2, that is a hard thing to over come.
No one has anything, no one's lost anything.  MGS isn't and never has been a Sony-exclusive franchise, and nor is Final Fantasy.  It isn't even the first time Microsoft have got a MGS game on their console; MGS2 made it to Xbox, and it bombed compared to the PS2 version.  As for MGS:Rising, it's a spinoff game, an experimental attempt at a more traditional action game.  Saying that this means Xbox has MGS would be like the PS3 getting Halo Wars; they're entirely different games, and definitely not as good.  All your statements are based on the assumption that MGS:Rising's bold new direction is gonna pay off, and I'm not convinced.  I say that if you want real tactical espionage action on your 360, dig up a copy of Substance; I have a feeling it's about as close as you'll get. 

QuoteI am not some fanboy saying one is better than the other, I am simply saying that Sony is going to need some SERIOUS exclusive titles to come out. Resistance 1 & 2, Killzone 2, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Uncharted 1 & 2  are good, but Xbox has Halo 1-3, Fable 1 & 2, Gears of War 1 & 2, Alan Wake, Left for Dead 2. That is a serious amount of games to go up against.  I know I used Xbox and 360 games in my argument but I know those games all work on the 360. Sorry to say Sony should be a little smarter and make a real backwards compatibility which they improved in firmware 1.5, BUT Xbox kind of beat them to it with Xbox Orriginals and their backwards compat worked a while ago.
Who is going to want to play the original Halo games when they could just as easily play the new one, and have it look good?  The original Halo outlived its usefulness as soon as the next one came out, just like 2 did with 3.  Old games don't sell new consoles.  And if you want another example of why backwards compatibility is a non-issue for either console, track down a copy of Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox and try that on your 360; lag city.  Software emulation for Xbox is far from perfect, and the PS2's isn't anywhere near as good.

As for Microsoft touting all the 360's media capabilities; keep in mind that this'll all be delivered via your internet connection.  While stuff like streaming TV is possible, in some countries the infrastructure is so bad it makes features like this impractical.  In Australia, for instance, the most viable options for internet are metered broadband, at rates and prices that are laughable.  Besides, who in their right mind would be excited about being able to watch TV on their 360, when chances are their 360 is hooked up to a television?  A lot of the non-game features they announced are completely redundant. 

I can safely say the only thing that interested me from the MS floor show was the new Splinter Cell.  That does look brilliant.  Alan Wake does look good, but it hasn't sold me; I'm not big on the horror genre as a whole, and the in-game narrative gives me the impression that the game will hold the player's hand.  Left 4 Dead 2 people will get on PC before 360; PC FPSs don't translate well to console and vice versa.  And don't get me started on Rock Band; the Beatles cover at the start had the same stink as Ravi's Wii Music drumwork last year.  Let's wait and see what Nintendo and Sony have to offer.

Sabby

TheWriter

I've got to admit, Prototype looks brilliant, and Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't look like it'll let us down.  I am interested to see if they'll continue the theme of 'real world' scenes they had in AC1.  That aside, though, I'm a little disappointed that neither Microsoft or Sony will have the gall to put something as over-the-top and for-the-grown-ups as this in their feature reels.  I am looking forward to this like crazy.  The guy who came up with Devil May Cry at the helm of the team that made God Hand... this can only lead to good things.

http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=41158

And yes, yes I do.

---

Nintendo's conference started off slowly.  The Wii Sports Resort stuff isn't new, but I'm still looking forward to it, and my housemate woke up the neighbours when Golden Sun 2 came on.  I have to admit the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong lemmings game and the make-your-own WarioWare were plusses as well.  Then after all the pandering to the casual market, they hit us with Galaxy 2 and a new Metroid game done Ninja Gaiden style.  Overall Nintendo have given me more to look forward to than Microsoft.

saturnschild

i was really surprise with the Metal Gear Solid coming to Xbox and kind of liking the who Natal thing mostly for Milo, the demonstration was pretty sweet. Microsoft conference was the only one I saw and was happy about everything, Natal, and the music. I really can't wait for the two Halo games they both look like something that would take over most of my life. I never played anything close to Devil My cry but Bayonetta looks sweet as all know what. Huge fan of the first Assassins and I am loving the new one. Got more into it when I saw the hands on demo, same thing happen when I saw God of War 3 so much blood so much blood. This E3 is giving me reason to get an PS3 now, with God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and Final Fantasy 13. The talk of the new Zelda game seems pretty sweet. I do have to say L4D2 November is going to be sweeter than sweet. It is really to much that is going on now and that is going to come. We video gamers are in true heaven right now.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn