Is it possible to recover previous edits?

Started by Liayra, October 24, 2012, 05:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liayra

I mean, from a post/thread that you created. I'm thinking that no but... I'm asking just in case. The problem is that I had a thread of ideas, edited and removed them because they were all taken. Now they're available but I lost the file in my laptop where I saved them all :(

Avis habilis

Sorry to say, I don't think the system archives previous versions of individual posts.

It is just possible that they might still exist in Google's cache. The one-on-ones are in the public area of the site, so your request could have been crawled by their spider at some point. If you Google "site:elliquiy.com" plus some keywords from the request, you might find it. Good luck!

Liayra

Oh well. I had no luck with the google spider thingie, but thanks anyway Avis habilis!

Haibane

If you use Firefox there is a plug-in called "Lazarus Recovery" which keeps all text you input to web forms (of which the post reply area on E is one). This plug-in has saved me many hours of rewriting and the screaming ab-dabs from lost posts when things crashed or I pushed the wrong button. There's a similar plug-in for Chrome as well.

It won't help your current problem but it could well save you work and frustration in the future.

Liayra

I know, I use it too! It has saved me a couple of times too although it didn't help me this time... I guess that it can't be perfect!

Vekseid

The wiki maintains a history of all edits, so if you want to be certain you can recover things you can store stuff there.

Liayra

JackWhite

Aren't there websites that store older versions of websites?

Oniya

There's the Way Back Machine - it might be worth a go...  You'll need the URL of the page you edited, and at least a rough idea of when the information was there.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Autumn Sativus

I tried the wayback machine last night, it had no cached copies of your current Idea thread. If it was a different one you might have a chance.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

JackWhite

Quote from: Oniya on October 24, 2012, 12:21:19 PM
There's the Way Back Machine - it might be worth a go...  You'll need the URL of the page you edited, and at least a rough idea of when the information was there.

It probably won't work with these secured pages though (Username + Password)

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: JackWhite on October 24, 2012, 12:23:24 PM
It probably won't work with these secured pages though (Username + Password)
The Requests boards are public. You don't have to log in to view them. :-)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Liayra

The Way Back Machine didn't have anything but it's ok, thanks anyway! :)

JackWhite

Quote from: Saffron on October 24, 2012, 12:25:03 PM
The Requests boards are public. You don't have to log in to view them. :-)

You're smart, you know that?

Phoenixrisen

Another suggestion to avoid this issue in the future is what I do and have seen others do. When and idea is taken use the strikeout tag, or otherwise label it rather than removing it altogether. Sorry you lost it though, it's a pain in the butt when that happens.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Oniya

I recently cleaned up my request thread using spoilers to hide the taken ones.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Liayra

Thanks for the advices, I will keep them in mind! :)