Bwa hahahahha

Started by Thesunmaid, July 13, 2013, 11:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thesunmaid

My step son is 7...his mother supposedly is a "good christian." Which I find hilarious since she is out every weekend getting drunk and picking up guys whenever she can despite having a"boyfriend she loves more than anything." But she says she is going to raise her children with a good christian upbringing.

I went to a wedding today and we got to the church and the brick work had crosses that actually is in the brick pattern.There was probably 3 crosses on the front of this catholic church and I burst out laughing today when my stepson...who remember is being raised to be a good christian....asked in a very calm voice but curious"why are there all those T's on the building?"

Oh god I laughed so hard I almost pissed. So much for a good christian upbringing when he does not recognize a cross at 7. My husband and myself who have him on weekends by the way are both atheists. I was raised catholic and he was as well but when we got old enough we decided to stop.

Sorry but this just made me happy today. Me and my husband will not if we get full custody make him go to church and if he does decide someday to find religion we are OK with it. But this was just too funny.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Vekseid

I just hope you did answer the question and make sure he's still willing to ask questions. Asking questions is after all a very important part of a good Christian upbringing, and you need to do your best to help with that. *nods*

Thesunmaid

Oh I answered him and explained all the things in the church..no sarcasm or incredulity...I am not going to push my atheism on him anymore than I want any other religion pushed on him. But he was confused how a lady had a baby if he didn't have a dad. He was like"So...Mary loved god and they had a baby?" We told him about where babies came from last year because he asked. So...he was not exactly buying it. I explained holy water and baptism when he saw the sink at the front and who Jesus on the cross was.As well as confession. He had alot of questions and he sort of looked at me with a "are you kidding me?" look once I explained it. Then the wedding was over and he wanted to go ride his bike. But I am now waiting to hear from his mother since she grills him on what we did over the weekend.

Side note...shes not a christian...shes barely a mother which is why my husband and I are hoping to go for full custody with in the next year. Hes a great kid and I am glad hes so curious about things around him...But since he can barely sit still for a movie he loves I doubt he will be asking to go to mass any time soon.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Oniya

I still have vivid memories of walking into a Catholic church for the first time, looking around at the Stations of the Cross (which were all marked with the Greek cross in that church).  My first words to my parents were 'Look at all the plus signs!'

Yeah, they probably had a clue as early as then how I was going to turn out.  >_>

We won't get into the time I questioned transubstantiation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cyrano Johnson

Mostly what I remember from Mass, the few times I attended as a kid, was being super-jealous when everybody got to go up front for juice and crackers.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Thesunmaid

I made a very bad catholic...at 10 i asked about how Adam and Eve could have actually populated the earth since there the only women was eve and it would be incest...and of course when i was little dinosaurs were fucking awesome. So the questions of "did the dinosaurs die because they did not get to go on the arc?" Yeah i apparently questioned things too much to be a good little catholic...by the time i was 13 I realized the whole thing was pretty silly.

But like I said I came to the realization on my own..and so will he..hes a smart kid and we will be there if he wants to ask things but I am not going to push anything on him until he wants to know things. Luckily he is always asking questions and we have Google if we don't know lol.

and yeah the blood and flesh of Christ thing always sort of freaked me out.I mean what am I supposed to say "yum yum that's some good savior?"

Cyrano Johnson

I guess it's stuff like transubstantiation that was the biggest obstacle to actually becoming Catholic for me. There was a lot of the mythology, really, whose poetic inspiration and theological importance to people I can and do respect tremendously, but that I just could never bring myself to profess as literal truth or an Article of Faith.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Callie Del Noire

what did it in for me around 12 or 13 was living in Ireland. You had Catholics and Anglicans (so damn close together) hating each other for so few differences. I just.. lost faith in organized religion after seeing a few bombings of mix religion couples my first few months there.

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on July 14, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
We won't get into the time I questioned transubstantiation.

Quote from: V for Vendetta
Mr. Finch: There's something that sounds like "Kill me sentiment"... just gibberish... and then they talk about Communion and the Communion Wafer...There's the word "Transubstantiation": That's the miracle of Transubstantiation when the wafer transforms into the Body of Christ. Catholic concept originally. There, now listen to this...
V (on tape): And at the moment this enters your mouth it becomes the flesh of the Saviour?
Archbishop Lilliman (on tape): Yes. Yes. Look, please...
V (on tape): And whatever it is made of now, it will become the Body of Christ?
Archbishop Lilliman (on tape): Yes. Whatever it is now. Whatever.
V (on tape): I want you to swallow it.
Mr. Finch: And then there's a funny little human noise. And then there's just Beethoven's Fifth. End of tape. We've just had the Path reports through. The Bishop was poisoned. The Host was full of cyanide. And do you know what? When it reached his abdomen it was still cyanide.

I have to admit I've always rather liked that jab.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Okay, fine.  I have to admit mine wasn't quite that twisted.  But look at this through the eyes of a somewhat precocious 7-year-old.

The priest blesses the wafers, and they become the Body and Blood of Christ.  Not 'symbols of' the Body and Blood, but the actual Body and Blood.  (Mom and Dad were RC.)  The congregation then consumes the Body and Blood of Christ.  'This is My flesh, take this and eat' and all that.

Completely ingenuous question:  'Doesn't that make us cannibals?'  (Seven.  I was seven.  We were taking classes in preparation for First Communion.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Back in school days, my elder brother and several others got the task, in drawing class, to come up with illustrations of "Fear". He drew a medical injection needle, and another student asked him, watching the image from the wrong side, "Are you afraid of bar stools?"  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Those bar stools will leap out and bite you.  They lie in wait for anyone attempting to use them as a convenient seat, means of support, or step-stool.  *nods* >_>

gaggedLouise

Is that what they call a whammy bar?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Thesunmaid

well i suppose if you had a relative die in a terrible bar stool accident they could be scary lol

Blythe

I vaguely recall what made it apparent when I was a child that I wouldn't be Christian. My mother had asked me how Sunday school was at the local Baptist church, and I got annoyed at age 8 (the age I was obsessed with and adored going to school every day--I was a nerd, okay?) and announced:

"It is not a school if they only let you read one book. Schools want you to learn more than one thing."

Insert a debate about what school is between my grown mother and her eight year old kid that lasted two hours and ended with my father pulling me out of Sunday school.  :P

TaintedAndDelish

I suppose I'm the slow wheel in the crowd - I took all this religion crap on faith well into my mid to late 20's. I was dead serious about it and ended up having a mental breakdown from it. For this reason, and the fact that I missed out on a lot of opportunities as a result, I'm rather bitter towards religious organizations in general for deceiving people and feeding them this bullshit.

Those T's are protective, magical symbols used to ward off the horrible soul-leaching demons that the catholic church has meticulously fabricated with the intention of making x-tains fearfully cling to their inner thighs like a bad case of crabs. Its worth noting that ( ineffective ) x-tain magic is ok, but any other kind of magic comes from the devil and is very very bad.

As for transubstantiation, the best explanation that I got went something like this:

At the climax of the mass - which can only be performed by an ordained catholic priest ( barrier to entry xD ) , the bread (cracker) and watered down wine is transformed in into the literal body and blood of Jesus.  Now, although it physically becomes his flesh and blood, it retains the appearance and physical properties of bead and wine. If you put it under a microscope, then you'll see bread and wine but its really Jesus's flesh and blood - physically, literally - not just symbolically.

Now the good x-tain is supposed to say, "Ok, this makes no fucking sense at all, but god is smarter than me... and god is magical and thus for him, anything is possible... so I'll just shut the hell up and accept it at face value. If I do this, then I have faith - which can move mountains.(more fabulous x-tain magic)"

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, TSM. My wife is still catholic, but I've turned atheist. She wants to raise the kids as Catholic for now and then let them decide for themselves later.  I'm left biting my tongue out of courtesy. Its a kind of delicate situation and not worth arguing over. For now, I don't blatantly point out the glaring flaws in Catholicism, but rather give them truthful information when asked and show them the logic that supports it. Hopefully, they will learn to question the answers and seek proof and rational explanations in everything they do.

RubySlippers

Evolution literally hard wires children ,of most species that have a period of learning, to obey their parents and they in turn teach children to trust authority figures for a good reason necessary. Religionists abuse this to brainwash children to believe their fairy stories and mythology and try to keep it sticking through adulthood. And if they do the adults teach the same garbage to their children.

I'm not opposed to religion if its a free adult choice to follow one at eighteen or over until then especially if your talking small children its to me child abuse.

In this case its amusing to me the child is more likely to break the cycle I noted above.

Oniya

I will say that I've attended Christian services (usually on the 'serious holy-days' - absolutely nothing like a Greek Orthodox Easter sunrise mass) where quite a bit of energy was raised.  The first obstacle to raised energy being effective is putting a direction to it, like the difference between a 100w incandescent bulb and a laser.

Sabby

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 15, 2013, 09:38:56 AM
Evolution literally hard wires children ,of most species that have a period of learning, to obey their parents and they in turn teach children to trust authority figures for a good reason necessary. Religionists abuse this to brainwash children to believe their fairy stories and mythology and try to keep it sticking through adulthood. And if they do the adults teach the same garbage to their children.

Apparently, it's even worse then that. If you convince a young developing brain that 'X is correct, no matter what', and their brain says 'X is false', guess what happens? That brain either rejects X as false, or grows to beat it's own thinking processes into recession, so it can continue to believe X is true.

Though that's only if the studies into Religion induced brain damage are to be believed, and even I'm on the fence with that.

QuoteIn this case its amusing to me the child is more likely to break the cycle I noted above

I had such a happy laugh on Youtube when I heard of a father explaining Noah's Ark to their very young son and their response was "I don't buy it" xD Faith in Humanity +1

SakamotoHD

*He had a bit of a sigh*

I guess I'm playing counter-point to this. But I've always really struggled with whatever I'm supposed to believe. I was raised in a catholic elementary school for most of my childhood.. I hated going to church. It was boring, everyone sounded like they were half-asleep, and as a result, I became half-asleep. The only good times were after sundays during the receptions. There was this delicious orange drink I'd dump sugar into, and eat chocolate donuts. I read passages out for priests, and I was amply rewarded when I could memorize and explain the meaning of the parables.

(Parables, for any who don't know, are essentially life lessons, given in forms of stories and examples. Much like old children stories. For an example. just google "parable of the coins")

I get that alot of the stories people read, they find laughable for the same reasons. Water to Wine? 5 loaves of bred and 2 fish feeding 5000? Lazurus who gets brought back from the dead cause a guy touched him in a special way?  Yea it seems pretty ridiculous, that some human sent by a divine being had that level of power.

Even if you look at all the catholic rituals, they are pretty silly. Kneeling get tiresome after 20 mintues of doing it. And why are we constantly standing up and kneeling down. Can we not just sit? Everyone's getting in line for some bread and a little red wine. Takes about an hour to get to that part too..

I still go to church on occasion. But not for the same reasons that my religiously devout father does. I go as a form of self-reflection. To hear some of those life lessons from a guy who claims to know what a good life is. Some of them I don't understand. Some of them I do. I've read a fair bit of the bible, old and new. It's been about 6 years since I last confessed whatever "sins" I committed. Now I guess.. *Feels like he diverted from his original point* is that I don't care about what your faith is. I've never cared about what other people believe in. But faith is such a powerful concept. It's a powerful tool. It's literally finding something you cannot do. And with a strong enough faith, you can do it. Senior year of highschool, I didn't think I was going to amount to much. But I had faith in that I would do what needed to be done to better my life.

Now I'm close to an electrical engineering degree. I'm practically on clean-up duty with these last classes, then I have a degree and I'll be joining the military. If I had listened to my current state of affairs back when I was a junior in highschool, I'd never gotten to where I am if I didn't have faith. That is one thing that I am glad of from my years of going to church. Regardless of any legends or whatever you want to say about it, the thing I pulled from Catholicism is the tenets of faith.

So don't knock on Christianity too much. It's got some pretty legit values to being a kind compassionate person. Remember there's alot of parents out there that  teach their kids to think. While also teaching them faith as well. Not every catholic you see is going to be some crazed nut-job that's praising the word of jesus christ, from a woman who got knocked up by god.  Or a roman soldier. Some debate on that too.

Oniya

There are good things to be found in a lot of mythology.  And in a lot of history.  And in a lot of plain old facts.  Conflating them - especially from a child's-eye perspective - is where it can be jarring.  (And of course, the time that the priest mispronounced 'brazier' - but that has nothing to do with church teachings.)

I much prefer the interpretation that a lot of these things are symbolic - wine and bread as symbols of 'the stuff that gives life'.  I think if more people listened to the actual message that Douglas Adams summed up as 'be nice to people for a change', then more people would be in a place to realize the parts that build everyone up, rather than the parts that only shoot others down.

Sabby

Quote from: SakamotoHD on July 16, 2013, 03:09:37 PM
So don't knock on Christianity too much. It's got some pretty legit values to being a kind compassionate person.

No Religion has a monopoly on morality. There isn't a single lesson of right and wrong that can only be achieved through Faith. Better it be honestly taught without baggage. Be good for the betterment of yourself and those around you, not because of a fairy tale or a promised afterlife.

Pumpkin Seeds

I don't think he's saying that Christianity (or any religion) has a monopoly on morality but that being respectful of religion and the wisdom contained therein is a worthwhile course of action.

Retribution

SakamotoHD -> Summed up my views neatly. I am a semi practicing Catholic my kids actually take it more serious than I do even if I graduated from Catholic high school. *shrugs* reasonable framework for life as one can find in many religions. But like me and the little woman tell our kids "god gave you a brain use it do not just blindly follow."

Sabby

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on July 16, 2013, 03:43:03 PM
I don't think he's saying that Christianity (or any religion) has a monopoly on morality but that being respectful of religion and the wisdom contained therein is a worthwhile course of action.

If I saw any wisdom at all in diluting and muddling moral lessons, then I'd respect it.