News:

Main Menu

Aliens or Predators

Started by Sabby, January 01, 2010, 05:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I vaguely remember Alien when I was a kid, and I just watched Predator 1 and 2 for the first time. Saw AvP a few months back, and sitting through AvPR right now ^^

I gotta say, I am torn on this one... both species fascinate me, and as far as crossovers go, there have been more head scratching pairings. I think it makes sense. Both creatures are bad ass on their own merits, but with one being a hunter and the other being a dangerous creature with no emotions or conscious beyond self preservation, the two fit quite nicely, as a challenged Predator, and challenging Prey.

For me, the Predators win out in the concept and variation area, with their gadgets and their strict honor system, but its pretty hard to beat the Aliens when it comes down to design. Those things are fucking creepy...

Paladin

Yautja all the way my friend. BTW Yautja is the race name for the predators.

HairyHeretic

And the original AvP comics are a lot better than the film (so I'm told .. haven't seen the film myself).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MasterMischief

Acidic blood.

Something about the predators just feels too forced for me.

Kunoichi

...No love for the Predalien?

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 01, 2010, 03:51:02 PM
And the original AvP comics are a lot better than the film (so I'm told .. haven't seen the film myself).

Yes they are, and so are the Novels. The Novels are what the Movies should have been.

Sabby

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 01, 2010, 04:41:53 PM
...No love for the Predalien?

Thats like voting twice xD

Now I have to get the books...

Muninn

Aliens for me!   This one is honestly a torn decision but something about those sleek, acidic saliva horrors makes me happy (and I enjoyed the PC game and look forward to the upcoming one! :D).  I want to read the books as I am super curious about it.

Mnemaxa

Nothing can match the visceral potency of the Aliens. 

Not to mention Ripley was dashing and hot. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Muninn

Quote from: Mnemaxa on January 03, 2010, 02:10:44 AM
Nothing can match the visceral potency of the Aliens. 

Not to mention Ripley was dashing and hot.

I agree with this post!  ;)

Sabby

I was under the im[ression that the acid isn't their blood. Its just a highly pressurized acid under their skin and above another insulated layer of skin, as a defense mechanism. If thats true, their real blood is quite harmless... (well, ecpect for Space Aids)

Paladin

Quote from: Sabby on January 03, 2010, 02:28:41 AM
I was under the im[ression that the acid isn't their blood. Its just a highly pressurized acid under their skin and above another insulated layer of skin, as a defense mechanism. If thats true, their real blood is quite harmless... (well, ecpect for Space Aids)

No, the acid is indeed their blood. The Comics and Novels explain it all.

GolGol

I have to vote for the predators. Their technology is awesome ;D
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Raveled

Which is the one with acid blood?  Oh, yeah, the big gangly mo-fo that managed to thrash humans every single time we've come in contact with them.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

HairyHeretic

In the comics, the Predators keep an alien queen on some of their ships, fire eggs down onto planets, and use the aliens as a rite of passage hunt for their adolescents.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Starlequin

Gotta give it to the aliens. The predators are bad-ass n all, nobody argues that. But a predator could at least be reasoned with. Its respect could be earned. And it doesn't even attack non-combatants. An alien would just slaughter anything in its path for no reason other than "it's a weekday".
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Mnemaxa

Three points of curiosity concerning Aliens.

1:  When they were filming the first Alien movie, the director did not inform the actors about the chest bursting scene.  The only actor who knew was the one who had an alien burst out of his chest.  Those looks of shock and fear are the real thing.

2:  In the original screenplay, and in the novelization, there were no plans for 'queens'.  Instead, the warriors injected microbes into people through their tail stingers, which slowly transformed them into the eggs which contained the facehuggers.  That is what happened to Lambert and the Captain....

3:  In the Aliens^3 novelization, Ripley didn't think she was infected at first because she scanned her chest and stomach.  Only later did she realize she WAS infected....because she scanned lower down.  Queens are made when an alien gestates in the womb of a female organism. 

Yes, that does indeed mean exactly what you think it means.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

HairyHeretic

I read that they're rebooting the Predator franchise with a new film this year, possibly a remake of the original, but with multiple predators.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Sabby

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 04, 2010, 11:50:01 AM
I read that they're rebooting the Predator franchise with a new film this year, possibly a remake of the original, but with multiple predators.

That doesn't bode well...

Paladin

Quote from: Sabby on January 04, 2010, 12:08:52 PM
That doesn't bode well...

AVP was done well and AVPR was done well. I look forward to it.

Paladin

Quote from: Starlequin on January 03, 2010, 08:26:12 PM
Gotta give it to the aliens. The predators are bad-ass n all, nobody argues that. But a predator could at least be reasoned with. Its respect could be earned. And it doesn't even attack non-combatants. An alien would just slaughter anything in its path for no reason other than "it's a weekday".

Actually aliens won't attack to kill everybody. Some people the grab for umm implantation.

Sabby

Quote from: Paladin on January 04, 2010, 12:23:58 PM
Actually aliens won't attack to kill everybody. Some people the grab for umm implantation.

This is exactly why I hate AVP's tag line. "Who ever wins, we lose"

...would much rather have Predators visiting every now and then then have an Alien influx >.>

HairyHeretic

If I remember the old Dark Horse comics right, Earth was overrun by aliens. I think the corporation that found them wanted to develop them as bio-weapons, and of course things didn't quite work out as planned.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Avis habilis

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 04, 2010, 01:01:43 PM
If I remember the old Dark Horse comics right, Earth was overrun by aliens.

Right you are. That was also how the screenplay for Alien 3 by William Gibson (yes, that one) ended. I would have paid more money than there is in the world to see that made.

Sabby

...what is it with megacorps and bioweapons? o.O what could Umbrella gain from selling an engineered worm that turns impoverished countries into 12 foot tall super zombies? Makes as much sense as using Aliens... can't they just stick to cosmetics? xD