Serenity/Firefly game?

Started by Max, April 23, 2006, 03:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on May 02, 2006, 08:49:02 PM
4)  Where were you born?  How did you wind up on Persephone?
Mars, on one of the smaller towns common with the highest ranking military families and political types. She did spend some time on Earth in China for her early education and then to a private academy for her middle education in the Pacific NW for women only in both cases. She came to Persephone after joining the new Guild House Nova Ascendant focusing in the rim that actively recruited any young Companion they could. A new "clique" in The Guild and newly chartered they are out to claim turf no one else wants right now. Proudly wear the Guild Pin a Nova Star of Silver on a Red Back- on the edge four gems a diamond, opal, jade and ruby representing the four founding Companions. The House HQ is on Persephone likely the fanciest building on the planet. Rumors are they plan an academy here at some point to train more rustic Companions but right now that's being fought by the major Guild Houses especially House Venusia the most powerful and prestigious dominating the Sol Sector (Earth and the planets). But the territory is ripe for their House to find a nitche in The Guild and no one else seems to care right now.

Uhm, my take, and the way the RPG seems to suggest, Earth-That-Was, was abandonned, mankind setting out of huge ships, using a mix of generational crews as well as colonists in suspended animation, to reach a new solar systems.  With dozens of planets ripe for terraforming and colonization.  The Core planets (Londinium, Sihnon, Osiris, Ariel, and Bernadette) were settled first, and would form the basis of the Alliance, followed by the Border planets (Persephone, Boros, Hera to name a few), and then the Rim worlds (most of the rest of the ones seen in the series) which had been lightly settled when the War started.  Londinium is the political capital of the Alliance, while Sihnon has many business interests headquarted there, (including the main Guild training house).

All of these planets are in one system.  Maybe a few systems real close together.  But, there is little FTL in Serenity.  And any trip to Earth would take many, many years.

As for the idea of the various Guild houses, that is fine.  Hadn't thought of it, but it works.

And, the link for the game:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=219.0

Not much to see at the moment, hope to have more up soon.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Lorelei

Hi there,
I'm a big browncoat/Firefly fan.  Is there room for another player?

-L

Natalie C. Barney

I think so we can always add one more. I think we need a Captain but ask Max.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Max

Sure, there is room.  What kind of character do you want to play?

As said, could use a Captain.  Had an idea for an NPC Captain, but would prefer it to be a PC.  Think we have a doc, mechanic, and a pilot.  Also have a hired gun, but can always use another.  Can never have enough people with guns.  :)

There is a link somewhere in this thread that shows an outline of character generation, look it over, and I will try to answer any questions.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

And the Companion- don't forget her.  :'(

(lol being melodramatic)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Oops, sorry, and there is the Companion.  Must plead for forgiveness, how could I have ever forgotten her.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

LOL  :D

Lets get the game started soon though.  :-\
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Will try to get some more info up on game mechanics in the morning.  Am still waiting to get some of the characters finished.  Then, a quick combat, so everyone can see how that works, and I will let people have one last chance to modify their characters, then away we go.

I feel I should mention, that while I have been playing RPGs for a long time, my experience with GMing is limited.  Hope I run a game everyone will like, but just wanted to get that out.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

That's simple for combat the Companion hides behind the mercenary.  ;D
Natalie Clifford Barney

Astalinnon

*stands straighter and adopts a heroic, very corney pose*

*Stands in front of Natalie and smiles in a cheesy manner*

Do not fear, little lady.. I will protect you. Unless they have guns. I hate guns... Or knives, I'm running if there are sharp objects... or clubs, fists, or... anything else.

Besides those though, you can count on me!

Natalie C. Barney

What about the Knights that Say Ne? lol
Natalie Clifford Barney

Mindhazingsquid

Well, my character practices what is supposed to be the most deadly martial art.  I don't know about that, but I'm pretty sure it's the slowest.

Mindhazingsquid

How is this?

Kara Yuen
Mechanic
Traits
Assets
Mechanical Empathy (minor)
Cortex Spectre (major)
Complications
Memorable (minor)
     her small anacronisms make her stand out.  Sometimes they're pronounced sometimes not so much.  Also the fact she doesn't know Chinese
Deadly Enemy (minor)
     United Reclamation liked having her in their R&D devision and would very much like to have her back.
Scrawny (minor)
Attributes
Agility: D12
Strength: d6
Vitality: D8
Alertness: D8
Intelligence: D12
Willpower: D8
Life: 16
Initiative: D12+D8
Skills
Mechanical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12
     Maintenance: D12+D4
Technical Engineering: D6
     Repairs: D12
     Make/Alter Device: D12
Unarmed Combat: D6
     Tai Chi: D12
Athletics: D6
     Swimming: D10
Covert: D6
     Open Locks: D10
     Disable Device: D10
     Sabotage: D10

1)  What did your character do during the War?  Which side was he or she on, if any?  Was it voluntary, or were they drafted?  Did you lose anyone you cared about?

Mostly she slept in suspended animation as her colony ship  made it's way through the solar system.  She did have a nice dream at one point about robots and saving the world (earth).

2)  What are you hobbies?  How do you pass the time away?
Since she was a child she always had a knack for gadgets.  She loves to tinker.  That and practice Tai chi.

3)  What kind of first impression do you think you make?

At first glance she appears to be a skinny girl.  She has only very basic understanding of the 'verse and the past few hundred years.  While technically she is several hundred years old she's in her twenties both physically and mentally.

4)  Where were you born?  How did you wind up on Persephone?
She was born on Earth!  Anchorage, Alaska to be exact.  When she graduated from school, with her technological aptitude she was a shoe-in at MIT where she began a course of robotics engineering.  After two years she heard about a colony expedition.  She applied and was accepted considering she was at her prime and was passing her classes with flying colours.
On the ship personal cargo was limited.  She took family pictures and some texts specially made on plastic pages for longevity.  The destination a sun called HD 28185.  While it hasn't technically got an earth-like planet it does have a planet with an earth-like moon.  The planet itself was a water-based jovian planet.
Due to the distance of the planet the colony ship was part cryogenic and part generational.  The plan was to have several crews that would take turns in suspended animation that would also bear children.  However there was a problem.
It is uncertain how it happend but the first crew was lost, leaving the ship with only it's computer guidance and no way to repair any problems.  When it was next found it was several hundred years later.  Most of the people, colonists and crew alike, did not make the trip.  It had been sucked into a desintigrating orbit around an uninhabitable planet with no value.  It was only found by chance by a Unified Reclamation contract, salvage ship.
The ship saved who they could and salvaged what they could and brought it to UR.  While she was being brought up to date.  While being brought to speed she began playing around with things she found.  Taking apart and putting back together anything she found.  After finding some of the things she had tinkered with and finding some of them working better than before she was dumped into the UR research devision and basicly blackmailed into working for them.
After working for them for several years she devised a plan to escape.  Once she got out her small size allowed her to stow away on various ships until she was caught.
Deciding she was far enough away from UR and the allience she decided to let the ships know that she was there and join as a crew.

5)  Describe your quarters?  Are there pictures or other mementos on the walls, desk, whatever?  If so, what?  Also, where do you hide any valuables or illegal pieces of equipment from prying eyes.
At first her room looks like chaos.  Every surface, including her cot, is covered in gadgets, tools and doodads.  However on closer inspection the floor is completely bare leaving room on the floor to do things.  She has a few pictures in her room.  Pictures of her family and her closest friend all

Max

You went 2 points over on Attributes, and 6 over on skills.  Other than that, looks good.

Ons and offs:

Mindhazingsquid

I double checked my numbers and I get 54 and 74 respectively for attributes/traits and skills.  Did you change the numbers and I missed it?

Natalie C. Barney

His numbers are rightMax I'm pretty sure I did a quick mental rundown if I did it right.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

You are right.  Not sure what I was doing wrong, guess I added one skill twice or something.  Sorry.

But, it all looks good.

And yes, I am not an accountant.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

Neither am I but I learned math by the old Rote Memorization method they made us be able to do basic math in your head. It works.  :)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Mindhazingsquid

If you think adding's hard, wait till you get to subtraction, Max.  Hah hah hah.  ;D :PPPPPPPPPPPP

RogueJedi

Ooohhhhh!!!

*giggles uncontrollably on the floor*

Max

Everybody is being so mean to me.   :'(

Anyway, hope to get the basics of combat typed up in the morning.  In addition to being so poor at math, I am also a slow typist.  Will have the equipment list up as soon as I figure out how to do charts and tables here.  If it is not up in the morning, I will try to get it up Saturday night/early Sunday morning.  When I am not working.

mindhazingsquid, if you haven't, go ahead and add Kara to the character's thread.

Am still waiting on getting the doctor character finished up.

Ons and offs:

Natalie C. Barney

Saranii gives Max a warm oil massage.  :)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Max

Mmmmmm, a warm bath massage.  Thanks.

Ons and offs:

Timiko

Are you still accepting  players?

Max

To be honest, not really.  I have 4 characters in, am waiting on several other players to get me their characters.  If I don't hear from them soon, I might open it up for others.

Any idea what you might like to play?

Ons and offs: