News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

RPGs you want to try but you doubt you'd get your Real Life Group to try.

Started by Callie Del Noire, May 26, 2011, 09:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on May 31, 2011, 08:39:20 AM
Uplifted like in the David Brin novels?

Another game I always wanted to try was Planescape.

Yup.. just like the Brin novels. There are a few 'crunch' flavor short stories that were used for stand alone short story you can get in a few ebook formats. In one of them one of the charaters is an uplifted octopi hacker. He squeezed into tight spaces, hacked the systems and in the end one of the other characters blew his brains out (they were trapped on Earth with hunter-killers coming to get them.

Like I said.. a neat setting and one I'd like to take time to learn more of.

I get the same sort of culture shock feeling I got with cyberpunk 2020.

Callie Del Noire

Marikir

Oh yeah, Eclipse Phase.

That setting seems fun.  Like a mishmash of a lot of different Sci-Fi shows/novels.  Brin as mentioned, Richard K Morgan, and Stargate, just to name a few.

Seriously like that setting and the ideas behind it.  Really want to try that one.

Craz

The Dresden Files RPG. They lack the attention span for it...

But I want to play it sooo bad!

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Callie Del Noire

Black Howling

Callie Del Noire

Want to make a 'detective type' who summons spirits and such that helps trace cheating spouses and such. :D

HairyHeretic

If you want to get an idea of it, I have a DF game running here. You could read over that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Black Howling

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 02, 2011, 02:33:30 PM
If you want to get an idea of it, I have a DF game running here. You could read over that.
Your DF game was what got me interested in the system to begin with.  ::)

Callie Del Noire

This is one of the things I like about Eclipse Phase.. the fact you can be an uplifted cetacean who SWIMS in the sun!

Malefique

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 09, 2011, 06:11:38 PM
This is one of the things I like about Eclipse Phase.. the fact you can be an uplifted cetacean who SWIMS in the sun!

Wow.  But are there whalers?  I'd love to see their version of Captain Ahab...
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

Erani589

as many times as i try i can't get anyone to play Big Eyes Small Mouth...It looks really interesting but seeing as nobody wants to play it..i've never had the chance to find out

TheGlyphstone

Bayushi

Quote from: KaylaM on June 13, 2011, 08:36:07 AM
Mechwarrior - I've played it a lot, but always as the GM, rarely as the player. The Battletech universe is probably my favourtiest RPG universe ever, one I've been following since the dawn of time. I'd especially like to play under the current A Time Of War rules. 2d6 4 lif

Shadowrun - I've allways loved the setting but never had a chance to play it beyond a few high-school games aeons ago. It's one with a lot of potential and some great crazy/wild/etc ideas that I'm just itching to play with.

Non-d20 Star Wars - Paradox; I love the Star Wars universe, I loathe the d20 system. However, since I've never met someone who plays WEG Star Wars and I've never seen a full conversion to any other system, I will remain in perpetually frustrated land.

I'm with Kayla on most of this... except the WEG Star Wars. Force Users were so incredibly broken in WEG Star Wars that it wasn't worth playing.

I have played some great Mechwarrior campaigns, but unfortunately something always distracted us when it started getting really good, and we'd end up moving onto something else.

I had a ton of fun with Shadowrun, when crashing at a friend's place back in the late 90s. He and his wife had pretty much ALL of the Shadowrun books, and we ended up playing well over 400 hours of Shadowrun in a 4-player group (plus GM). Unfortunately, that ended when my friend was shipped overseas to Germany for six months (and he was the GM).

EDIT:
Another game I used to play a lot was Legend of the Five Rings (first edition). The Second Edition of the game was "meh", and I was not happy with the 3E/d20 variant (though I liked having the option for Forgotten Realms campaigns). It has/had a great character creation and combat/dice-system to it, a very simple method somewhat similar to oWoD's success/failure system.

Marikir

Quote from: Akiko on June 26, 2011, 04:22:16 AM

EDIT:
Another game I used to play a lot was Legend of the Five Rings (first edition). The Second Edition of the game was "meh", and I was not happy with the 3E/d20 variant (though I liked having the option for Forgotten Realms campaigns). It has/had a great character creation and combat/dice-system to it, a very simple method somewhat similar to oWoD's success/failure system.

I thought L5R had a fun looking system.  Unfortunately, any game we started never seemed to last long enough.  I've looked at the latest version, the fourth edition, and it looks nice.  I haven't played it yet, though.

HairyHeretic

I'm running a 4th ed game of L5R on Mumble on a Sunday night (8pm GMT start). You're both welcome to sit in and listen.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 26, 2011, 04:28:11 PM
I'm running a 4th ed game of L5R on Mumble on a Sunday night (8pm GMT start). You're both welcome to sit in and listen.

mumble?

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Braioch

Quote from: HairyHeretic on June 26, 2011, 04:28:11 PM

I'd even want to listen in on that....wonder why I never thought to do that with Mumble?!

Anywho

2 games and they're in the oWoD series.

Werewolf: I just can't seem to get my group to want actually play it and I would just LOVE to be able to so.

Kindred of the East: If you have never read the Sourcebook, do so, it's really really good. And being able to play that one day would be amazing.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Maxwell Malamute

Playful rubber puppy, here! Into many other other things, just ask!

On and Offs, what I like to do/My Stories/The Origin of Love: My history, briefly/Meeting the Great God Pan

Braioch

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Avis habilis

Quote from: KaylaM on June 27, 2011, 12:05:57 AM
I'd rather WEG Star Wars over d20 still.

Likewise. For me, class & level & Star Wars go together like maple walnut ice cream & pesto sauce.

Which is to say, not.

AtlasEros

I'd love to get to play Paranoia.

I'm currently running a Mutants & Masterminds game.
O/O