Sci-fi Mystery / Adventure Interest Probe [POLL]

Started by Rachubka, October 27, 2009, 10:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachubka

Okay, so I've been meaning to make an RP thread of my own, but have either been really busy with all of the other RPs I've been in, or just life in general. So, here's the rundown!

Depending on the setting, the plot will run along a particular arc, but the end result will obviously be different. What I'm thinking of is a group of soldiers or mercenaries tasked by an organization (whether for government, military, or financial gain) to travel to a planet in order to investigate a series of events. Things turn out to be a little more complicated than originally anticipated, and the plot moves on from there.

Obviously the tools in which the plot are moved by are different depending on the end choice in setting. I'm not necessarily going to go with the setting with the majority of the votes, but it's more or less a guideline for me to work with.

Sooooo... give me you input, folks! I aim to please. Oh, and those listed above are the ones that I more or less am familiar with. Yeah, sure... I know it says Starcraft up there. Would you believe I was in the 'Starcraft' club when I was in Gr. 7? Yeah, respect. :O

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Well, I know a friend who would be on this in a heartbeat if it were Star Wars...

BenedictWolfe

Die hard 40K buff here. The only RP in that setting right now is based on a rigid system I'm neither familiar with nor interested in learning, so I'm keeping my eyes open for any other RPs in that vein.

Though, in hind sight, 40K requires intimate knowledge with the setting, and so isn't all that attractive for most players.

Rachubka

Yeah... Warhammer isn't exactly my greatest forte, unforch. :( I don't even know what 40k has anything to do with it. lol

Brandon

Star trek, star wars, and 40k are interesting but I would prefer that this take a more original or customized setting. Consider me interested
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cassiopeia

STAR WARS!   Definitely would be in!  Start Trek as well.  Kuno ... you didn't mean me, did you? *halo*  I'm not super familiar with Starcraft but if that was what was decided upon I could try to familiarize myself.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Rachubka on October 28, 2009, 12:02:38 AM
I don't even know what 40k has anything to do with it. lol

Warhammer 40,000.  As in, the year 40,000. The K is shorthand to mean "thousand". :)
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Kanrya

Dude id be all up for it if it was Star Wars! I love star wars lol

Rachubka

Well crap. That's a lot of Star Wars votes. lol

I've got a pretty basic knowledge on it, mostly just movies and the KOTOR RPG. Um... for those who did vote Star Wars, could you please suggest an era to work in, too? And why! I'm not banking on having that many Jedi, however... and if I do, I'm only going to allow RPers that I believe are truly competent and won't insist on being invincible!

RedEve

Legacy era?

Am I right to assume that you're looking for something akin to Aliens? If so, it might be best if we limited the amount of force users. Perhaps just one. And a not too powerful one. The rest of us can play regular people.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Kanrya

Cassiopeia

Blast!  I really wanted to be a Jedi :P  I'll still be in it even if I'm not allowed to use the Force.  Hmm, might I suggest though if you are going to limit it that you make it a two Jedi limit?  That way you could have a master and a padawan, might be an interesting relationship to toss into the mix (assuming you get a good amount of people).  Just a thought.  Either way I'm in ^_^

Kunoichi

Rachubka

Ooooh, the more you know. lol

In terms of actually making a Star Wars RP, I'm not sure if I'm the one to do it. I don't know a whole whackload to really, really drive the RP, and with the whole Jedi, thing, it really throws off the dynamic of what I really wanted to make in for this RP.

I guess what I'm really looking for is something along the lines of either a Starcraft based universe, loosely based, or something more original. Why not Star Wars? Because I wanted to make this something that was more along the lines of the human struggle in an alien world, rather than a group of people going aaaaaah!

Cassiopeia

Well in the Star Wars Expanded Universe there WAS a great deal of struggling against aliens who captured their planets but I totally understand what you mean.  And I'm totally up for any sci-fi RP.  If it requires starcraft knowledge I'll just have to get a crash course. ^_^  Original would be a lot of fun as well.

RedEve

If not Star Wars then I'd prefer an original setting as well.

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Brandon

Well if we were to do the star wars setting then I would suggest a timeline around the New Jedi order, the one Luke Skywalker establishes after the movies. This would allow for inexperienced unstoppable warrior magicians...err Jedi  :P Yet still give all the other players ample opportunity to be more ordinary characters like soldiers, smugglers, scouts, etc.

Personally I have a technical mastermind character who I would love to play since she hasnt gotten much attention in the last year
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cassiopeia

Yeah I agree with your timeline Stalker.  That's my favorite and probably the easiest for an RP like this if it goes in that direction.

Kunoichi

Plus, it would allow me to still be a droid. ;D

Cassiopeia

Hehe Kuno ... you're a driod and I'm a noid! ^_^

Rachubka

So, I suppose I'd be going against the current if I decide to do something other than Star Wars, mm? Fair enough! Things are not exactly what I intended to be, but again, I aim to please. :P

In general, what's going to happen is that since the entire universe is in the midst of rebuilding (I think), there is a considerable amount of unrest. This in turn leads to plenty of opportunity to either do well for your fellow beings, or take advantage of them. The New Jedi Order, under the eye of Luke Skywalker, has requested that a Jedi Knight, along with a Padawan who has only recently been realized as an adept in the Force, be tasked to investigate a disturbance in the Force on an uncharted planet. It is known to have a populace, but they have so far remained independent, unaffected by the Will of the Empire.

Using her own personal judgment, the Jedi Knight had sent out a broadcast to enlist a number of mercenaries, either promising a position of good standing within the New Republic, or compensation for their skills in credits. In time, they will find that things aren't quite what they seem regarding this mission, and payment is going to be the last thing on their minds.

Not bad for a brief , vague summary. In essence, I'm playing the part of the Jedi Knight, a figure of authority that is not necessarily the end all and be all. Positions that are open include:

A Jedi Padawan (Competent, trustworthy RPers need only apply)
A pilot
A navigator / co-pilot
A mechanic
A medic of sorts
Any other personalities, though, any of the aforementioned may be blasterslingers.

This is not finalized by any means. This is still an interest probe. I'm just in need of more interest before I want to even bother with building this RP. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Kunoichi

I'll take either the mechanic or the navigator position, then. ^^ And I'll be an R2 unit, one of those stumpy little astromech droids...

Rachubka

Kunoichi

Not to you, perhaps, but they were popular enough in-universe to get quite the little assortment of aftermarket attachments designed for them. ;)

Cassiopeia

If at all possible I would absolutely LOVE to be the Padawan!  And I do solemnly swear that I will not misuse or abuse the Force, ie: god mod :P  I actually have The Essential Guide to the Force, which I can have sitting next to me while I RP in order for me to have a handle on my limits, though I think I'm fairly confident that I know what they are.  If it can't be me though I understand.  I'm sure most everyone wants to be a Jedi ^_^