Creating a DTP portfolio

Started by Beorning, June 10, 2013, 12:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Okay, so... I'm jobless, currently. So I'd like to use the free time I have and try creating a DTP portfolio. To showcase my skills with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign - as I'd like to try getting a job in DTP...

I have one question, though: does anybody know how such a portfolio should actually look like? It'll be the first time I'll be doing something like that - and I haven't seen any other people's portfolios.

Also, I have two requests:

• does anyone here have any stock photography I could use as source material?
  • does anyone have any suggestions / ideas as what to try to create, specifically? I'm speaking of suggestion in the vein of "Create a logo for a pizza place" etc. that could work as an inspiration for me...

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Beorning

Uhm... anybody?

Please please please, guys - I could definitely use some raw material to work with...

Moraline

I don't really know what a DTP portfolio is but a brief Google search brings up a multitude of graphic design portfolio's and tips on how to create them and what to include in them.
(Ex:  http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/publishing/articles/120288.aspx

When I was taught to make portfolio's our professor's suggested that the best way to do it was to get a rough idea first of what you wanted and where you wanted to work. Then approach the people you would like to work for and ask them(the people that do the hiring) what they would like to see in a portfolio for those types of jobs.  (Don't wait until they are hiring, do it when they are not hiring.)

As for stock photography, there is tons of it on the web. If you go to Deviant Art and search "Stock." You'll find tons and tons of stuff that people want you to use. 
http://stockart.deviantart.com/

As for suggestions - I suggest talking to some people locally that are organizing local charitable events(not large national ones) and volunteer to create logo's and posters for them. If you're building websites then volunteer to create one for them as well.