Looking for my first DnD roleplay

Started by Innocence, March 17, 2012, 03:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Innocence

Hi everyone!!

So I must admit I have never played DnD before. *Despair*
I've played the mmo for a bit but never really got all that into it. 
Whenever my friends try to get a group together it's always 'I'll let you know by next week.' then by next week 'I'll let you know by next month.'
>.>
So I figure I should familiarize myself with the game first by trying it out online via roleplay =D
If anyone out there is willing to create a game with me or let me join theirs, I would GREATLY appreciate it

Thanks for reading!!

Muse

*Bows*  Good morning, m'lady.  :) 

Is there any edition of D&D you're especially interested in? 

I do best with 2nd, 3.5 or pathfinder. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Innocence

Quote from: Muse on March 17, 2012, 04:15:17 AM
  *Bows*  Good morning, m'lady.  :) 

Is there any edition of D&D you're especially interested in? 

I do best with 2nd, 3.5 or pathfinder.

Evening my lord. *Curtsy*
I was told 4.0 is good for getting the hang of the basics and for noobs, but that the regular plays quite dislike it haha.
Whichever is easiest for others to help me going I guess =]

Marie Reynolds

Well id like to announce my interest and if i may make a suggestion, Innocence it all depends on  your focus do you prefer fluff(story) or crunch(mechanics) or a good mixture of both or do you prefer more mechanics focused characters. Cause if you like mechanics then fourth edition is not a bad choice if you like more fluff options i would suggest pathfinder or 3.5. that is just my to cents on the matter.

Ershin

Mind if I ask what version the group you're trying to get into plays? Third and Fourth are pretty different games, some mechanics (like fortitude, reflex and will) are the complete opposite of each other between versions, along with changes with effects, skills and powers/spells/etc. If you learn to play with one and they're playing with another, you'll end up having to learn two systems and start with them from scratch again.

Innocence

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on March 17, 2012, 04:59:02 AM
Well id like to announce my interest and if i may make a suggestion, Innocence it all depends on  your focus do you prefer fluff(story) or crunch(mechanics) or a good mixture of both or do you prefer more mechanics focused characters. Cause if you like mechanics then fourth edition is not a bad choice if you like more fluff options i would suggest pathfinder or 3.5. that is just my to cents on the matter.

I guess I'd be more fluff based, what is this 'pathfinder' everyone keeps talking about?
I'm so confused D=>

Quote from: Ershin on March 17, 2012, 05:02:16 AM
Mind if I ask what version the group you're trying to get into plays? Third and Fourth are pretty different games, some mechanics (like fortitude, reflex and will) are the complete opposite of each other between versions, along with changes with effects, skills and powers/spells/etc. If you learn to play with one and they're playing with another, you'll end up having to learn two systems and start with them from scratch again.

Oh!! Good point!
Well in one group we were all noobs so we were going to learn 4.0
But in the most recent one, which has the most potential of actually happening, the two guys in charge were planning to teach us 3.5

I guess right now 3.5 seems like the best choice

Marie Reynolds

Well i think we just wait now on our fearless dm and we can get things rolling and corrupt err i mean educate another about 3.5.

Innocence

Oh corruption is always a fun way to pass the time, along with procrastinating and scheming =]

Ignis

I am unfortunately a horrid DM but if you wouldn't mind a stereotypical elf of some sort tagging along I would love to play.

I have been told pathfinder is based on the 3.5 rule-set with the biggest differences coming from the starting levels. With D&D you start off as a normal person with some extra training. In pathfinder you start off equivalent to a lvl 20 D&D character with plenty of resources to pull from. At least thats how it was explained to me.

Patriarch

Quote from: Innocence on March 17, 2012, 03:30:37 AM
Hi everyone!!

So I must admit I have never played DnD before. *Despair*
I've played the mmo for a bit but never really got all that into it. 
Whenever my friends try to get a group together it's always 'I'll let you know by next week.' then by next week 'I'll let you know by next month.'
>.>
So I figure I should familiarize myself with the game first by trying it out online via roleplay =D
If anyone out there is willing to create a game with me or let me join theirs, I would GREATLY appreciate it

Thanks for reading!!

Sure thing. :)

1) Before anything else, look for a great DM/GM. The best tabletop system on earth is worthless without a good DM/GM to craft a great adventure and make the world come alive. I'd look for one who focuses more on stories and less on combat for your first time - as you'll be on a more level playing-field (and frankly, being the stars of your own story is one of the best parts about DnD)

2) If you have several good DMs/GMs available to you across the editions, I recommend 4th Edition heartily. The system is both deep and accessible - much more user-friendly than 3rd edition. It's also incredibly cheap to get into - just purchase a DnD Insider subscription for less than $10 a month and get access to every player-book ever made, most DM content, every DnD Magazine, the compendium with an easily searchable content-base for everything 4e and the great Character Builder which makes building your characters easy, plus takes care of most of the annoying math for you. And you can get three months of all this for significantly less than the cost of the first Player's Handbook (there are three, plus lots and lots of other books and magazines that are all included in the subscription). It's far cheaper to use the DnD Insider subscription than even buying older edition books which are now on-sale... And DnD Insider comes with virtual tools to make your life easier. :)

3) 4e also doesn't have the balance issues of 3e - each class has unique powers and flavor and the powers are balanced enough so that you can choose just about any spells/attacks/whatever you want and still be able to contribute to your party as a valuable member of the team.

4) Finally, since 4e is much more user-friendly for DMs and the virtual tools make setting up encounters and building monsters take much less time than older editions - 4e is highly suited for building great stories (as there's more time to focus on it). My own 4e campaign is entirely story-driven, and 4e suits that better than any other edition I've come across.

5) Another viable option is Pathfinder - which is harder to break into than 4e (and more costly) but is still a solid system. I personally don't enjoy the mechanics as much as 4e - but that's a matter of preference. Either way, unless you have a truly incredible DM and lots of friends who love 3e... Pathfinder/4e are just superior in design and accessibility. Pathfinder was made specifically to patch the many huge flaws in 3e, while 4e is a brand new take on DnD which works a lot, lot, lot smoother than previous attempts.I can attest to its accessibility for new players too, as nearly every campaign I've DMed has featured brand new players to 4e or DnD in general... Who then stay with the campaigns and become veterans. 4e's so smooth that I was able to include a visiting friend in my level 30 campaign despite her never playing any tabletop rpg before and she was able to get into the swing of things.

4e. It just works.

But again, a great DM who will help you learn the game and weave a great adventure is the most important thing of all. Better to play First Edition with a Great DM than 4th Edition with a bad DM.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Ignis, I have been playing DnD 3.5 for a couple years and could help you get started. Pathfinder is pretty much 3.5 with some things changed or added on. It's pretty much DnD 3.75.

Genbu83

Quote from: Maverick Hunter Cake on March 17, 2012, 12:20:12 PM
Ignis, I have been playing DnD 3.5 for a couple years and could help you get started. Pathfinder is pretty much 3.5 with some things changed or added on. It's pretty much DnD 3.75.

Agreed, though I'll also say that pathfinder is slightly more streamlined than 3.5

Ershin

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Miyu

I might be interested in playing

Innocence

Yay sounds like we got a good amount of people interested. Now all we need us a DM.
Anyone up for the job?

Ignis

*points at the next person* I am horrible at DMing. I tend to get bogged down in small stuff and skip over some of the more important details. I also play the monsters way to smart most of the time.

grovercjuk

Always looking for a D&D game, any ideas on an adventure?

Ignis

Quote from: grovercjuk on March 18, 2012, 06:04:47 PM
Always looking for a D&D game, any ideas on an adventure?
As a DM? Well Innocence created the thread and hasnt played before. I dont think we have decided on 3.5 or 4th ed yet. If we could get that figured out and then let the DM get to work devising new ways to kill us we would be set. :P

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Gary Stargazer

If I might pipe in with my two cents on something. Innocence D&D isn't the only gaming system out there either.
I love me some D&D and it is my fave system but whitewolf is an interesting system set into a more gothic style world with things like vampires(I don't mean sparkly ones) and werewolves.
If you're into cyber punk style games you may want to look at shadowrun which is a fun system but pretty much dead now, still it would be simple to find the books online.

Also there are hosts of games out there, everything from star trek to sailor moon. >:3

The great thing about game systems though is you can pretty much adapt rules to whatever mood you're looking for, for example D&D can easily be adapted to a cyber punk world if the GM is willing to tweak and prune it's rules a little.

Anyhoo back on topic of the thread. I just recently got introduced to pathfinder and I really enjoy it, I can't recommend it enough but I can't get into 4th, Stairc makes very good points on the system but it just feels like an mmorpg on paper to me. I tried playing it a few times with a group with a very experienced GM and they all hated it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Ignis

I played the 4th ed intro games and died in both. The first time it was just general party stupidness and no big deal. The second time the DM decided in his wisdom for lack of a better word that because we had 6 or 7 players the adventure was to easy and he would total the difficulty it "should" be each adventure and add in a dragon of that lvl with the other dragon at the end of the adventure. Without telling anyone or letting my mage run back up the ramp. It was over quickly, thats the best I can say. So I tend to look upon 3.5 with its over complication with a kinder eye than 4th ed.

I keep hearing good things about pathfinder and have the books somewhere but havnt actually played it.

Quoteshadowrun
Where? I have tried to get a game off the ground but I am a horrible DM. It looks like an amazing setting though. You dont happen to know of a game that is looking for another player, do ya?

Gary Stargazer

Oh uh ... well I run a shadowrun game in r/l, but I doubt that's gonna help you unless you're near chattanooga TN. :3

Brandon

I may be a glutton for punishment but with another game of mine having fallen apart I have some free time. I would be willing to run something simple like a pathfinder adventure path. As a GM I prefer pathfinder for a few reasons, the first is its pretty easy to pick up if the player wants to learn, second you can find most of the information completely free at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ , third you can find all of the setting information for free at http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Wiki , fourth it allows for valid characters of nearly all playstyles, fifth it has a huge following on Elliquiy

So let me ask you Innocence, what exactly do you think of when you think of D&D? Is it just fantasy roleplaying with a system to govern success and failure? or something more?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ignis

A road trip is in order then, Kansas City to Chattanooga is only an eleven and a half hour drive. :P

Gary Stargazer

*scratches the back of his head* Well I've not tried running anything online, still new to forum based games like this, though I did cut my teeth on the table top stuff when I was 12. I guess I could try throwing together an interest thread to see if anyone would want to play shadowrun here, I just figured no one would care to want to play since it's not a hugely popular system.

I would offer to GM something with pathfinder but I'm still getting used to that system myself and a large group would be too much for me to handle I would imagine.