A Writing Challenge.

Started by RegularRaskolnikov, July 01, 2010, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

starts as a ball of mud... how we shape it is up to us....
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Chrystal

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on July 10, 2010, 03:09:42 PM
starts as a ball of mud... how we shape it is up to us....

Again I ask, WHY?

Why need it start as a ball of mud?  Why not a ball of water? Why not a ball of spaghetti? Why does it have to start as a ball at all?

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!!!!!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ironwolf85

cuz when freefloating things form globs...
you can make it spagetti if you want
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Freefloating things only form 'globs' because of the nature of space time in this universe. If you were creating one out of wholecloth, you could have the entire universe occupied by a landmass that was in any shape you felt like. After all, gods have no reason to abide by the laws of physics. For gods, it would make more sense to figure out what you wanted first, and create the necessary circumstances afterward. Working from simplicity up to complexity by natural laws requires no intervention.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Chrystal

Quote from: PeacethatPowerbrings on July 10, 2010, 04:03:57 PM
Freefloating things only form 'globs' because of the nature of space time in this universe. If you were creating one out of wholecloth, you could have the entire universe occupied by a landmass that was in any shape you felt like. After all, gods have no reason to abide by the laws of physics. For gods, it would make more sense to figure out what you wanted first, and create the necessary circumstances afterward. Working from simplicity up to complexity by natural laws requires no intervention.

*pounces on PeacethatPowerbrings and smooches him/her/it exhaustively*

I love you. Thank you for saying that.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ironwolf85

that makes more sense...
but where will we start?

PeacethatPowerbrings

Chrystal

Where ever we want to start... I think the more important question is "WHEN will we start?" Doe anyone have RR's email address? Can someone IM him to let him know we're all waiting?

*has a horrible thought* Gods, I hope nothing's happened to him, I mean that would be terrible - and not just because we'd be waiting for ever, it would be terrible for him and his family too!

*giggles at Peace* "Start at the beginning, go on until you come to the end, then stop!" - Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

Skystomp

I love you Chrystal, that you think outside the box like that. However... I'll raise you on that. Why set limits? Why not make an infinite plane and do with it as we wish, like a line of creation, up, down, folded, flat, deserts, rainforests, oceans and plains. We start with the simple and and work out way up to the more complex. Or even better, or at least more creative and creepy, a Mobius strip style world. Litterally you can walk from one end to the other and it's all one peice with no begining or end.... but all that surface is usable. We're going to be Gods, or at least God-like entities, we're limited simply by our imaginations and the play off of each other.
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

Ironwolf85

sounds good to me... as long as I get to play and have fun

Insight

Everyone, all this freeform stuff is nice, but notice, around twenty some posts after my last one, and we still don't have a platform on which to create life! Since I haven't checked this thread for too long (sorry, work) let me give a few thoughts:

- The question of when we start...eh. The Gods will invariably find themselves at war throughout this game, so starting later in the timeline suggests that the results of these wars have already been fleshed out. Furthermore, if we start in the middle, create circumstances that lead to that middle, then decide to change them, our work thusfar is moot. Imagine if I decide to create a quadrapedal beast with a tail and snout, and start by creating smaller monsters that evolve into it. What's to stop Chrystal (because she totally would!) from altering their DNA and turning them into flying spaghetti monsters? It may be wisest simply to start from the beginning, even though we do have infinite power.

- As far as the shape of the planet goes, who cares? Let's just make something! If we want a mobius strip, a disk, well then that's fine, but let's at least come to a consensus so we can create something. I don't care if the dawn of life happens on the head of Earth's penis.

- Sorry to this thread's creator, but it HAS been a while. Granted, he said in his first post he'd be tied up a bit, but we really won't get much done like this. We may want to bail on him. I do care for him personally, and hope that he's alright (especially considering his career), but he is welcome to jump back in at any time.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Chrystal

Quote from: Skystomp on July 10, 2010, 09:17:35 PM
I love you Chrystal, that you think outside the box like that. However... I'll raise you on that. Why set limits? Why not make an infinite plane and do with it as we wish, like a line of creation, up, down, folded, flat, deserts, rainforests, oceans and plains. We start with the simple and and work out way up to the more complex. Or even better, or at least more creative and creepy, a Mobius strip style world. Litterally you can walk from one end to the other and it's all one peice with no begining or end.... but all that surface is usable. We're going to be Gods, or at least God-like entities, we're limited simply by our imaginations and the play off of each other.

Aww. You sweet. I'm afraid your love will be unrequited though... *giggles*

I did mention the possibility of a mobius strip world, I believe. But I really rather like the idea of an infinite plane. Only one thing - I insist we have day and night of some sort, because I like to prowl in darkness, and that is no fun if it's always dark... So, someone is going to have to volunteer to get the sun out every morning and put it away again at night.  And no, that's NOT going to be me...

I suppose we could set it up to happen by itself... Or, how about, we let the kings of the people we create do it? And if they don't, there is no sunrise in that kingdom?

Just suggestions.

Quote from: bradten on July 10, 2010, 11:29:55 PM
Everyone, all this freeform stuff is nice, but notice, around twenty some posts after my last one, and we still don't have a platform on which to create life! Since I haven't checked this thread for too long (sorry, work) let me give a few thoughts:

- The question of when we start...eh. The Gods will invariably find themselves at war throughout this game, so starting later in the timeline suggests that the results of these wars have already been fleshed out. Furthermore, if we start in the middle, create circumstances that lead to that middle, then decide to change them, our work thusfar is moot. Imagine if I decide to create a quadrapedal beast with a tail and snout, and start by creating smaller monsters that evolve into it. What's to stop Chrystal (because she totally would!) from altering their DNA and turning them into flying spaghetti monsters? It may be wisest simply to start from the beginning, even though we do have infinite power.

- As far as the shape of the planet goes, who cares? Let's just make something! If we want a mobius strip, a disk, well then that's fine, but let's at least come to a consensus so we can create something. I don't care if the dawn of life happens on the head of Earth's penis.

- Sorry to this thread's creator, but it HAS been a while. Granted, he said in his first post he'd be tied up a bit, but we really won't get much done like this. We may want to bail on him. I do care for him personally, and hope that he's alright (especially considering his career), but he is welcome to jump back in at any time.

The question of when, was not, to me, one of chronology, but one of impatience!

Darkling, you know I am fully on your side about waiting for RR to return from foreign wars and all that, but the natives grow restless. May I suggest we give him a couple more days and then set something up?

Ramael

Quote from: Chrystal on July 10, 2010, 02:45:16 PM
I still don't see why it has to be a ball? Why not a disk?

Doesn't anyone here read Terry Prattchet?

Yup! Wouldn't be very original though if we created a disk-world...

Quote from: bradten on July 10, 2010, 11:29:55 PM
Everyone, all this freeform stuff is nice, but notice, around twenty some posts after my last one, and we still don't have a platform on which to create life!

EXACTLY.

All this slapping down of peoples ideas is pretty negative and is getting us nowhere - that and the OP is AWOL, I'm not sure how long I'mma stick around here.

I did have a feeling it would be this way a while back - "anything is possible" paralyses creativity.

At least we have discerned that from this writing challenge

Chrystal

That is why it is a challenge! *giggle*

Ironwolf85

I admit did I wanna create time and space as the most simple and basic laws, of course that means I might get stuck running the sun on an infiniate plane... or better yet... one big sun in the sky, only one side burns, the other does not, as it turns slowly it creates night and day.

ChaoticSky

mhmm, i fear he is lost to us :S

Alright, if its okay with everyone, well wait a another day. if hes not around by then... i guess ill take responsibility and start it, and take the heat if he gets mad... unless anyone else is chomping at the bit.

...as for me, i vote for a dyson sphere >_> we can just dim the sun for night time. they are awesome, :P

EmptyEternity

Quote from: Darkling on July 11, 2010, 09:09:25 AM

Alright, if its okay with everyone, well wait a another day. if hes not around by then... i guess ill take responsibility and start it, and take the heat if he gets mad... unless anyone else is chomping at the bit.

...as for me, i vote for a dyson sphere >_> we can just dim the sun for night time. they are awesome, :P
But aren't Dyson Spheres made by mortals? If we are indeed gods, can we just call up the sun god and tell him to turn the thing off for a few hours?

ChaoticSky

a naturally occurring dyson sphere ^^, rather than having extra solar matter spin down into a ring, which then coalescing into planets... it would form sphere, compacting into solidity. the sun could either alternate between bright and very dim, to cast  the entire surface into day and night... or shine in two 'beams' creating a rotating pattern of alternating light and darkness.

such is the idea in my head anyway. :P

i imagine the subject will be debated more fiercely IC

Insight

Well the laws of physics couldn't really apply in such an environment. Gravity would be a mess, as everyone would be pulled inward toward the center of mass. Additionally, unless we make the sphere...huge... or the power of the Sun minimal, the mortals we create would have to be so resistant to heat it boggles the mind.

Another idea would be to create a <#>gon. One thing we grapple with on Earth is the idea of property ownership. What if our world was shaped into a multi-faced solid, each people claiming one side of the planet for their own? Perhaps we should make it one side per God?

On and Off Thread

PeacethatPowerbrings

You can't appeal to the laws of physics and then propose a multi-faced solid. The laws of physics in the game universe would, as I've said before, follow what you want to make, not lead what you can make. The laws of physics which prevent a society from living on the inside of a dyson sphere, would also prevent a multi-faced solid from remaining a multi-faced solid over time. It would become a sphere, because the edges of the flat sides would be farther from the centre of the planet than the centers of the flat sides, meaning that things on the sides of the solid would actually be on a slope, except when they were at the points which correspond to the conceptual sphere you could fit inside of the shape.

I, for one, think that a mult-faced solid would be an interesting idea, but you can't say that a dyson sphere doesn't work because the laws of physics we know in our universe wouldn't apply, and then propose something which has the same problem. Either choose to stick to only the laws of phsyics we have (which permit spherical planets) or admit that when gods are involved, they don't matter.

Insight

I disagree wholeheartedly. We simply need to create a situation unto which such an event would arise. Remember - one of the laws of physics I proposed in an earlier force included the Gods themselves as a force. Yes, erosion would take the edges off (literally) over time, but creating such a world in an Adam and Eve sense isn't out of the question. The reason I like laws of physics is that they make the future more predictable. If we just conjure a polygon, then set the laws of physics in motion, all should be fine.

On and Off Thread

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yes, you could create one, but if you use the laws of physics standard to our universe, then every place on such a planet that was off-centre on one of the sides would be on an angle, meaning that you'd basically have a world with nothing but mountains. It would seem flat from space. But on the ground it would be a perpetual downward slope toward the nearest centre of a side.

My point was that, in order to make it feasable, you'd have to change the laws of physics that you apply, and if you do, then you could change them for a dyson sphere as well.

Chrystal

Quote from: Darkling on July 11, 2010, 09:09:25 AM

OOOH, can we have a bagless one with no loss of suction and advanced cyclone technology?

I hear they get carpets really clean.

*demanifests herself to avoid the expected hail of thrown objects*

Hey, excuse me, but didn't I already suggest a cube?

I believe I did.

Soooo..... Yeah, I have no problem with either. In fact fuck it, why not have both? Let's have an underworld which is a dyson sphere and an overworld that is a dodecahedron?

Insight

QuoteYes, you could create one, but if you use the laws of physics standard to our universe, then every place on such a planet that was off-centre on one of the sides would be on an angle, meaning that you'd basically have a world with nothing but mountains. It would seem flat from space. But on the ground it would be a perpetual downward slope toward the nearest centre of a side.

For the same reason that Earth doesn't feel like a big sphere (it feels flat to us) this would not be the case. There would, however, be a lot of mountains.

So a hollow dodecahedron? Yeah I'm game for that. Can we all agree?

On and Off Thread

PeacethatPowerbrings

This really is just elementary physics.  The only two places on such a figure where the ground would feel flat would be at the centres of the sides, and the verticies.

If gravity is in effect, then an object at the vertices of the shape would be further from the centre of the planet then an object at the centre of any of the sides. If you draw a line between the centre of a side and the edge of a side, one end would be further from the centre of the planet than the other. This funadmentally defines a slope.